MMA Thread

steelcurtain29

6 hours ago, FinneasGage said:

so happy nate's back in the game finally. that's a ****in scrap too. 

co-main on that card. hope they make one of those rare 5-round non-title bouts there

That is an interesting fight. Idk if i like it for Dustin but i get it. He isn't getting the title shot without fighting 1 more time but its risky. LW is so top heavy. Conor v Khabib seems obvious and Tony Ferguson probably needs a tune up after such a serious injury before going straight to Conor or Khabib. 

3 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

That is an interesting fight. Idk if i like it for Dustin but i get it. He isn't getting the title shot without fighting 1 more time but its risky. LW is so top heavy. Conor v Khabib seems obvious and Tony Ferguson probably needs a tune up after such a serious injury before going straight to Conor or Khabib. 

I think Dustin gets him.  The only path to victory imo for Nate is surviving a beating, and then catching Poirier with something.

fascinating news today with the Diaz-Poirier fight. tbh I won't be surprised if it turns out to be the main event. sounds a bit strange at first, having a non-title fight headlining MSG after having 3 title fights the last two times, but I actually think Diaz might generate more buys than some random title fight. I mean even Stipe-DC didn't sell that well. Diaz has more casual fans just with the Conor connection.

and they're struggling to find title fights right now... sounds like Nunes doesn't want to fight Cyborg, Cyborg has no one to fight other than Holm again, Woodley/TJ/DJ are all booked, Holloway's dying, Whittaker's busted up. they need to find someone to headline 229 too. If Khabib/Conor is on that card, the only other options for 230 would be DC defending LHW (questionable), Cyborg vs Holm or some random bantamweight, or Ortega-Aldo for the interim. think Diaz outsells them all.

Poirier sounded pretty insistent that he was waiting for the title shot, as soon as one day ago. Diaz has been holding out for Conor or for 100 billion dollars since his last red panty night. Headlining MSG (maybe with a PPV point deal) might've convinced them both to take this.

Idk how confident i really am in Dustin. I know he is hot now but Diaz BJJ and chin are no easy out. Dustin has had some issues getting rocked early on. I feel like it is more dependent on what Diaz we get. If he is in it for a payday he loses or if he is in it for a mega payday for his next fight he takes it

1 hour ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Idk how confident i really am in Dustin. I know he is hot now but Diaz BJJ and chin are no easy out. Dustin has had some issues getting rocked early on. I feel like it is more dependent on what Diaz we get. If he is in it for a payday he loses or if he is in it for a mega payday for his next fight he takes it

I think many have overrated Nate based on his 2 fights with Conor.  He is 19-11 for a reason.  He is also 3-4 in his last 7.  One of those 3 wins was against a washed up Gray Maynard.  The dude is a tough out because he is "tough"  guy.  He is long, has a nice jab and boxing skillset...excellent BJJ practitioner, and can take a beating.  Those are very positive attributes to have as a fighter.  However, dude has zero defensive skills, and relies too much on his "toughness" to outlast, and get the job done.  Poi.rier has a bit of a suspect chin, but I don't see him losing this one.  Poirier is the better fighter at this time.  The best fighter doesn't always win...but I would be surprised if Nate won.