MMA Thread

steelcurtain29

37 minutes ago, FinneasGage said:

better athlete than anyone out there. natural freak KO power. he's gonna beat some names i reckon. honestly think he beats most HW's not in the top 10 right now. i'd even lean him over tybura who's 9 right now. 

That's a lot of massive assumption over 2 pro fights vs scrubs.

7 hours ago, FinneasGage said:

how tf this a co-main for the biggest card in ufc history? 

Because the card's gonna hit 2 million buys even if it had me vs BK in the co-main. So makes some sense to stack 230 with the biggest fights, and have the rest of this card a little light.

• Like 1

On 8/4/2018 at 11:26 PM, FinneasGage said:

did tj get mad power outta nowhere or cody have zero chin these days? crazy stuff

card was a lot funner than it looked on paper 

Cody doesn't protect his chin.  Like, I respect his guts as a fighter but he's just not a smart fighter... at all.  I thought he actually demonstrated in this last fight that he has a better chin than people were giving him credit for after the last fight; he ate some SHOTS in this one and didn't get dropped till the last one.  But he flatly just does not have any kind of sensible defense with his hands (lets them drop, leaves them low, I rarely ever see him make any attempt to block strikes from opponents) and you simply can't do that against a Ludwig-trained fighter that has legitimate KO power.  In fact, it's just straight stupid to do that.

1 minute ago, The LBC said:

Cody doesn't protect his chin.  Like, I respect his guts as a fighter but he's just not a smart fighter... at all.  I thought he actually demonstrated in this last fight that he has a better chin than people were giving him credit for after the last fight; he ate some SHOTS in this one and didn't get dropped till the last one

well to be fair, Barao ate shots for almost 10 full rounds iirc and TJ couldn't KO him (I think the ref stopped the 2nd one tho in the last round but iirc he was still standing). I think that is where the Cody has no chin stuff comes from.  I don't think I remember TJ ever KO'ing anybody with his hands. 

so I'm still doing this. let's just say it takes a lot of research to come up with 15 fighters at heavyweight/womens divisions, lol

HEAVYWEIGHT
Champ: Daniel Cormier (21-1, 1 NC)

1. Stipe Miocic (18-3)
  2. Alexander Volkov (30-6)
  3. Curtis Blaydes (10-1, 1 NC)
  4. Derrick Lewis (20-5, 1 NC)
  5. Fabricio Werdum** (23-8-1)
  6. Francis Ngannou (11-3)
  7. Alistair Overeem (43-17, 1 NC)
  8. Junior Dos Santos (19-5)
  9. Mark Hunt (13-12-1, 1 NC)
  10. Blagoi Ivanov (16-2, 1 NC)
  11. Tai Tuivasa (10-0)
  12. Marcin Tybura (17-4)
  13. Andrei Arlovski (27-16, 1 NC)
  14. Alexei Oleinik (56-11-1)
  15. Shamil Abdurakhimov (18-4)

Other notables: Brock Lesnar** (5-3, 1 NC), Cain Velasquez (14-2), Ben Rothwell** (36-10), Justin Willis (7-1)

**dealing with USADA

Heavyweight surprisingly has a little life at the top now. Volkov and Blaydes look to have the potential to be title challengers in the new future - Volkov survived against Werdum on the ground and pieced him up on the feet, while Blaydes is no longer able to step foot in the State of Illinois after what he did to Overeem at 225.

The old guard of Overeem, JDS, Werdum and Hunt all seem to be on the way out, having had their shots at the belt (albeit Hunt’s was only the Interim belt). Then again with heavyweight, who knows. Lewis and Ngannou are interesting cases. Both are young enough to be around for a while longer, and appear to have the ability to challenge for the title (again, in Ngannou’s case). Yet the last fight raised massive question marks, around Lewis’ back and Ngannou’s balls.

Tuivasa is an interesting up and comer in the vein of Lewis. We’ll see how far his power and idgaf attitude takes him, though his striking is actually more technical than people give him credit for.

Two final questions in the division:

• Comebacks (from injury or USADA). Brock Lesnar’s going to come back into a title shot, and who knows what will happen with him - or if he can even test clean. If Cain ever strings together a couple of years where he’s healthy he could well win the belt again. Ben Rothwell still exists as well.
  • Russians: Ivanov has already come over (he’s Belarusian or something, w/e). Vitaly Minakov may end up the UFC at some point - he’s 21-0 (19 by stoppage), has wins over the likes of Volkov, Kongo and Bigfoot, and is still only 33. And I’m sure there are a bunch of other lab-engineered Russians who could end up making a splash. Would be cool if Stipe becomes champ again, and faces a lineup of nondescript Rocky villains.

Matchups I want to see:

• Stipe vs Blaydes
  • Werdum vs Ngannou
  • Volkov vs Lewis
Edited by Buckrock101

10 hours ago, Buckrock101 said:

Because the card's gonna hit 2 million buys even if it had me vs BK in the co-main. So makes some sense to stack 230 with the biggest fights, and have the rest of this card a little light.

Unless something happens to the ME (which wouldn't surprise anyone) and we're left with a Fight Pass card. 

10 hours ago, 11sanchez11 said:

well to be fair, Barao ate shots for almost 10 full rounds iirc and TJ couldn't KO him (I think the ref stopped the 2nd one tho in the last round but iirc he was still standing). I think that is where the Cody has no chin stuff comes from.  I don't think I remember TJ ever KO'ing anybody with his hands. 

I think while his chin isn't ideal, the thing he lacks most is recovery. He had a lot of time to recover in the 2nd fight after he got dropped and I think he stayed wobbly the entire time until Dean stopped it.

19 hours ago, Buckrock101 said:

@beekay414

So what kind of height/weight/reach/styles we dealing with here? I might actually have to shell out the $60 bucks or whatever for that lol

• Like 1

I feel like its been forever since we had to wait 3 weeks for the next card there are so many fights to be excited for

Gaethje-Vick will be a barn burner but i think Vick ascends to the next level, on the same card I see TUF fighter Andrew Sanchez is there, I wish he'd go back to LHW

UFC 228

Woodley-Till will be an awesome fight, to me it is the biggest test Woodley has had since fighting Lawler but we all know Till has to make weight or else it means nothing

Nicco-Valentina is an interesting fight. Nicco was surprising everyone in the TUF but it was the TUF house and everyone just thinks she is holding the belt for Valentina

Andrade vs Karolina is another good matchup of top straw weights buts I'm even more excited for:

Esparza vs Suarez, I've been riding high on Suarez since TUF and she hasn't disappointed at all

Dodson-Rivera will be fun too, I do love the Magician. 

Plus Diego Sanchez is fighting on the card too so thats worth noting