MMA Thread

steelcurtain29

You act like conor has this supreme takedown defense.  Mendes took him down at will before he gassed.  Khabib is even more elite than chad imo in the wrestling department.  Do you see Khabib gassing?  Not a chance.  Yes...i believe conor has 1 punch ko power...and that is his only chance.  I would guess that conor's takedown defense has improved..and his speed and timing are elite...but Khabib can take a punch...lets not forget that barboza is a legit striker...and he is not just a"grab you" guy as you put it...you are saying that Khabib should be favored...so what's ur issue...i am saying the same thing...i just give conor less of a chance than you...altho i won't be surprised in the least if conor catches him.

The way your wording it though is Conor can "catch" Khabib but Khabib is the better fighter no matter what. If Khabib gets KO'd by Conor it's because he used his quickness to counter + his smarts. The better fighter will win on Oct 6th. Just none of us have any idea who that will be. Although I do agree Khabib should be a favorite. 

3 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Khabib has never faced a striker of Conors caliber. Khabib has no shoot, he has to grab people to take them down. Conor is going to be hard to get ahold of. Conor also has a point, who has Khabib beaten? Nobody. I've made this point myself. Khabibs 26-0 record is less impressive than some 14-2 records in the UFC. It's very possible Khabib mauls Conor but people acting like Conor doesn't have at least a 35% chance to win this fight should of learned their lesson all the other times. 

I'm not a Khabib fan and I agree most everyone he has fought is trash but he beat RDA and Edson. While they aren't the highest level guys, RDA won the belt a year after that fight and Edson is still a tough out but a terrible matchup vs Khabib because of the kicks playing right into Khabib's hands

1 hour ago, big poppa pump said:

You act like conor has this supreme takedown defense.  Mendes took him down at will before he gassed.  Khabib is even more elite than chad imo in the wrestling department.  Do you see Khabib gassing?  Not a chance.  Yes...i believe conor has 1 punch ko power...and that is his only chance.  I would guess that conor's takedown defense has improved..and his speed and timing are elite...but Khabib can take a punch...lets not forget that barboza is a legit striker...and he is not just a"grab you" guy as you put it...you are saying that Khabib should be favored...so what's ur issue...i am saying the same thing...i just give conor less of a chance than you...altho i won't be surprised in the least if conor catches him.

Yea I keep coming back to that Mendes fight as well. That was a while ago and you hope Conor's TDD has improved but he will be fighting a bigger/stronger guy in Khabib so improved TDD might not be enough to even level the playing field of Mendes-wrestling vs Conor TDD defense then and Khabib-wrestling vs Conor's "improved" TDD now. Conor was able to get up briefly in that fight and I just dont know if he will be able to vs Khabib. Once he gets you, you are down for the round but because his TDs are so telegraphed he can get caught but Conor has 1 or 2 throws before he gets grabbed. He cant miss.

1 hour ago, BayRaider said:

The way your wording it though is Conor can "catch" Khabib but Khabib is the better fighter no matter what. If Khabib gets KO'd by Conor it's because he used his quickness to counter + his smarts. The better fighter will win on Oct 6th. Just none of us have any idea who that will be. Although I do agree Khabib should be a favorite. 

I'm not wording it to sound as if Conor is trash, and only has ko ability.  His skill set just doesn't match up well in this fight. His ko power is all that I think that can save him in this particular fight.  I like Khabib, and am rooting against Conor, but that doesn't mean I haven't witnessed both of them being great.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blazer026 said:

Just took a look. Yikes

Yea Anders to headline after that Machida fight is gross. Yea his last one was a headkick KO but who the hell was that guy?

i will say i do like watching Alvey and Oli x2 can be entertaining.

Barao has to be done at BW

Edited by JaguarCrazy2832

7 hours ago, FinneasGage said:

card tonight sucks. probably the worst set of back-to-back ufc cards i've seen in my life. 

Yeah it's pretty awful. But then again these cards with the randomest people always seem to end up being really fun.

They messed up with the order of this card though. Livia Renata Souza and Elizeu dos Santos are two of the most interesting names on the card, and they're buried on the early prelims.

ME should be fun though. Marreta doesn't have boring fights

14 hours ago, big poppa pump said:

In his last two fights Conor stuffed 9 of 10 takedown attempts from Nate Diaz and Eddie Alvarez. In his ten career fights in the UFC he has only been taken down 5 times and 4 of those came in the Chad Mendes fight, so in his other 9 fights he has been taken down 1 time. I think his takedown defense is slept on because of the Chad Mendes fight but other than that contest you've never really seen him struggle in grappling exchanges, hell in the first Nate fight he passed guard with ease during the first round. 

Khabib's chin has never been tested by someone with one punch KO power in the UFC. The best strikers he has fought are Michael Johnson (4 KO in 19 UFC fights) and Edson Barboza (4 KO in 19 UFC fights). Johnson is a journeyman and Barboza has some fantastic kicking but his boxing sucks and he has choked in basically every big fight of his career. 

Edited by NYRaider

11 hours ago, big poppa pump said:

I'm not wording it to sound as if Conor is trash, and only has ko ability.  His skill set just doesn't match up well in this fight. His ko power is all that I think that can save him in this particular fight.  I like Khabib, and am rooting against Conor, but that doesn't mean I haven't witnessed both of them being great.

Khabib moves forward with his chin up and Conor is the most accurate puncher in the division. 

On 9/21/2018 at 5:29 PM, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Sadly, in VA its all sold by the commonwealth so its up to the state what we carry

Edit: Just looked it up, we actually carry it here but $30 instead of 22. Let me know how it is

I'm not a huge whiskey drinker but I like it, it's very easy to drink. 

On 9/21/2018 at 1:05 PM, Herbie_Hancock said:

Khabib isnt scared of anyone.. 

I can't wait haha

He hasn't fought anyone really. Look at his last few bouts... 

Al Iaquinta: Had 1 win in 3 years heading into the Khabib fight because he took two years off, fought, and then took another year off. During his time off he was focusing on his real estate career instead of fighting. 

Edson Barboza: 3-3 in his last six fights with those 3 wins coming against Anthony Pettis (3-5 in last 8 fights), Gilbert Melendez (1-5 in last 6 fights), and Beneil Dariush (2-3-1 in his last 6 fights). When he fought two other contenders at 155, Kevin Lee and Tony Ferguson, they both finished him in dominant fashion while Khabib went to decision. 

Michael Johnson: 2-5 in his last seven fights and a guy that's on his way to Bellator soon. 

Darrell Horcher: A fighter that was fighting on the regional circuit and working full-time as a metal worker when he got the call to fight Khabib. Prior to the fight he said he wasn't even training and that he almost died cutting weight for the bout. 

Mendes couldn't really keep Conor down (with damage I mean) despite landing some explosive GnP. Mendes is also a much more explosive wrestler so that negates Conor's movement more than Khabib's style does. Khabib HAS to get inside to get a TD. He can't just explode with a single leg like Mendes can. That's a difference that Conor most definitely can exploit. Khabib also keeps his head on a line with terrible defensive boxing. He's gonna get clipped. He's gonna drop. He's going to get pounded out. 

Khabib is a relentless fighter but let's not act like he's a great athlete. He's a grinder and grinders with ****ty boxing get knocked out against elite athletes that are also elite strikers. Conor is going to flatten him and it's going to be a whole lot easier than people expect.

Like Kevin Lee points out (as does Eddie Bravo), Tony Ferguson is a far more dangerous matchup for Conor. Incredible jaw, really good athlete, crazy style and relentless as hell. 

Edited by beekay414
  • Like 1