Official NFL Draft Thread (General Discussion for Draft)

steelcurtain29

Our team will have a bad run D, so Collins should pad his stats vs us no problem. If the Browns get the running game going as well as the Ravens, this division could be physical again.  The landscape is changing, and we aren't keeping pace with the Run D  and will suffer as a result.

One part about this 2018 season I am looking forward to is how long will the coaches wait to make changes. The easy part of the schedule is in the first half, but will they wait until the second half and beyond? Of course if they don't drat possible replacements for depth for dupree and burns, then it makes it easier for them to keep playing their former #1 picks. :$

I dont recall a single draft Steelers fans were so unified in their hate for than this one....rightfully so.

I do see a few people defending it or who think its okay....but the vast majority hate this draft.

I know teams dont necessarily draft to please fans...nor should they, I suppose....but this draft just seems so opposite of what kind of draft we NEEDED to have.    We have only drafted backups so far.     Granted, Edmunds and Washington could see extended playing time, but I dont think either are ready to be much more than situational players....and not even necessarily good ones.

I had very much planned on being very forgiving of this draft as long as we didnt draft a RB early and leaned defense.....however, this is about the worst draft I couldve imagine outside of doing that.     And its not even that I necessarily hate the players....its when we took them and their role on this team given how its currently built.   

Im far from a know it all and Im not trying to act like I know more than the front office, but I do have common sense, and this draft does not.     Its so far removed from common sense that I cant even begin to understand what they are thinking.     I mean,  if these players were all steals and BPA's, I still wouldnt care for it given the positions, but no....every player except Mason Rudolph was a reach by at least a full round.

Im going to stop there.   I could go on for hours.      This team really needs a new direction IMO.....but this sure as hell isnt it.  

13 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:

I dont recall a single draft Steelers fans were so unified in their hate for than this one....rightfully so.

I do see a few people defending it or who think its okay....but the vast majority hate this draft.

I know teams dont necessarily draft to please fans...nor should they, I suppose....but this draft just seems so opposite of what kind of draft we NEEDED to have.    We have only drafted backups so far.     Granted, Edmunds and Washington could see extended playing time, but I dont think either are ready to be much more than situational players....and not even necessarily good ones.

I had very much planned on being very forgiving of this draft as long as we didnt draft a RB early and leaned defense.....however, this is about the worst draft I couldve imagine outside of doing that.     And its not even that I necessarily hate the players....its when we took them and their role on this team given how its currently built.   

Im far from a know it all and Im not trying to act like I know more than the front office, but I do have common sense, and this draft does not.     Its so far removed from common sense that I cant even begin to understand what they are thinking.     I mean,  if these players were all steals and BPA's, I still wouldnt care for it given the positions, but no....every player except Mason Rudolph was a reach by at least a full round.

Im going to stop there.   I could go on for hours.      This team really needs a new direction IMO.....but this sure as hell isnt it.  

That's just not true.

Okorafor -  DraftCountdown, who's been in this business since I started following the draft 15 years ago, as well as GBN Report, both had him listed as a 2nd/3rd Rd (former) and 89th overall (latter). DraftAce, who's been around for at least 10 years, had him at 72nd.  So no, not even close.

Washington - GBN had him at 77th, we took him at 60th. DraftAce had him 56th.  DraftCountdown? Rd 2/3. Also, from an article from the SportsQuotient...

Verdict

Speed and versatility are key at the wide receiver position in the NFL, and Washington is surely skilled in those areas. His ability to constantly win one-on-one matchups, whether it be with speed or pure athleticism, is intriguing for NFL scouts and head coaches. Washington could very well emerge as the best receiver from this class, so look for teams to strongly consider him in the first round.

Best Fit

Washington is a sure bet to be taken by the end of Day 2 of the 2018 NFL Draft. His name has been mentioned as high as 16th to the Ravens...

Rudolph - We already know, he was either a 1st Rd value, or a 3rd, depending on who you ask. DraftAce had him 2nd Rd at 57th. GBN at 53rd.

And of course, our first Rd pick, that every one is up in arms about...but honestly, this is a better value pick, IMO, than Burns. Almost everyone had Burns as a 3rd Rd guy, with a few outliers. But this year, 

Edmunds - GBN had him 37th. Draftcountdown - 2/3. DraftAce had him 83rd....so yeah, he was a Reach...but that is only ONE player that was a reach...not all...

Just now, Ward4HOF said:

That's just not true.

Okorafor -  DraftCountdown, who's been in this business since I started following the draft 15 years ago, as well as GBN Report, both had him listed as a 2nd/3rd Rd (former) and 89th overall (latter). DraftAce, who's been around for at least 10 years, had him at 72nd.  So no, not even close.

Washington - GBN had him at 77th, we took him at 60th. DraftAce had him 56th.  DraftCountdown? Rd 2/3. Also, from an article from the SportsQuotient...

Rudolph - We already know, he was either a 1st Rd value, or a 3rd, depending on who you ask. DraftAce had him 2nd Rd at 57th. GBN at 53rd.

And of course, our first Rd pick, that every one is up in arms about...but honestly, this is a better value pick, IMO, than Burns. Almost everyone had Burns as a 3rd Rd guy, with a few outliers. But this year, 

Edmunds - GBN had him 37th. Draftcountdown - 2/3. DraftAce had him 83rd....so yeah, he was a Reach...but that is only ONE player that was a reach...not all...

Draft rankings are entirely subjective, so those really dont prove anything except that they view the players differently.

Okorafor Ill concede wasnt a huge reach.   I still absolutely loathe the pick.

I dont care what draft rankings say....James Washington is a mid round talent.   Late 3rd/early 4th at best IMO.       He is propped up by a very unimpressive WR class.      I view him as a big reach.   And I honestly wouldnt have wanted him in the mid rounds because he doesnt bring anything different to our WR corps.   

51 minutes ago, jebrick said:

I did not expect the Steelers to be going into day 3 with only 1 defensive player taken.  Munchak must have been pounding the table for Okorafor

He actually has said he was shocked he had to talk to the media and wasn't expecting an OL pick.

22 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Hot Take:

We're going to miss the playoffs this year, the Browns will make it, and in 4 years from now the talking heads will point to the 2015-2018+ drafts as to why.

The Browns will be lucky if they finish 500.  They've gone 1-31 the last 2 seasons and they're gonna turn that around and make the playoffs with a few FA signings and a draft?  I'm betting if Colbert had picked Mayfield and Ward with our first 2 picks you'd be on here crying about how much our draft sucked.

1 hour ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Draft rankings are entirely subjective, so those really dont prove anything except that they view the players differently.

Okorafor Ill concede wasnt a huge reach.   I still absolutely loathe the pick.

I dont care what draft rankings say....James Washington is a mid round talent.   Late 3rd/early 4th at best IMO.       He is propped up by a very unimpressive WR class.      I view him as a big reach.   And I honestly wouldnt have wanted him in the mid rounds because he doesnt bring anything different to our WR corps.   

I don't understand this?  We have our 'Big', possession/go-route WR in Juju.  AB may be our #1, but he fills EVERY function of a WR--slot, go-route, and yes, even middle-of-the-field stuff, because he's tough and hangs on to the ball, even after big hits, a la Ward, even though he's not that big.

Washington, however, is a shorter 'Bryant'. He filled exactly the position we just lost in Bryant, except without the height. People will point to his 40 time, but he improved that GREATLY at his proday, by over a tenth of a second, but is known as a guy who builds up speed, rather than bursts off the line.  Plus, he's 'thick' has strong hands, tracks the ball beautifully, and bailed out Rudolph, from my understanding quite a bit this year with 50/50 balls.  Oh yeah, and he is the Biletnikoff winner.  How does that compute to a 4th Rd pick?

But regardless, IMO, he's very different than AB, and only shares some traits with Juju; He comes in as our potentially most dangerous 'deep' threat.  (and you know what I mean...of course AB is better, etc., but AB doesn't have the same 'long wheels' that Washington brings.

It's ok if you hate the pick, but I don't see how you can say he doesn't bring anything different, because he definitely does.  Just because Juju and AB CAN go deep, doesn't mean it's their specialty; the go-route is Washington's 'specialty' so yes, that is different.

Terrell Edmunds is a stud.  I wanted Evans and Harrison (both whom I think will be stars).  Edmunds is someone I liked but couldn’t put him as my number 1 because he let the ball get over the top of him.  That’s a No No for me.  Edmunds body mechanics, shoulders moving, looked funky while running his 40 yard dash at the combine.  Turns out he hurt his shoulder at the beginning of the season and played hurt through the season and got surgery at the end of the season.  He is fully healthy and ready to go.  *Don’t be surprised if we get a similar player later in the draft*

What I don’t get is people bashing him for missing tackles, taking bad angles to the ball, and playing the ball badly in the air, all without showing any proof.   Watching his cut ups, Tremaine, and Tim Settle’s and I don’t see those issues.  Sounds like the lazy narrative being driven by guys like Lance Zierlein and Bucky Brooks.

James Washington is a stud!  Way better than Christian Kirk and Sutton.  Remember some here said that JuJu was a reach and not worth the selection.  Similar prospects but think of Washington as a Shooting Guard and JuJu as a Small Forward.  Washington runs a limited route tree but ran those routes well getting separation from the defenders.  Even when he’s covered, he’s open.  Washington would have been perfect for the Packers but is an excellent third option.  Steelers now have 3 WRs who can beat press man coverage.

Mason Rudolph has skill.  I went deep in Washington and Rudolph.  Rudolph is a rhythmic passer but has great touch on his mid to deep throws.  He quucjly gets into his throwing motion and throws tight spirals.  Sometimes he overthrows wide on comebacks and out routes.  Are those spot throws?  I have no idea.  Rudolph stands tall in the pocket when he’s facing a free rusher and doesn’t fade away from his throws.  Rudolph timed slowly but is a good scrambler and buys time in the pocket with his mobility.  Can sometimes focus on half side reads and not go through all his reads.  Doesn’t have the frenetic movement like Darnold and is calm in the pocket.  Football is weird!  Rudolph doesn’t have a rocket arm but has great anticipation and arch on his deep throws.  5 QBs were taken before Rudolph and Rudolph was easily the best out of them.  His film impressed me more than of those Top 5 QBs.  System was a factor but some of the Top 5 also played in similar systems.

Chukwuma Okorafor needs work and is someone I came away unimpressed with.  Can one of you guys who enjoy and understands OL break him down?  ?? 

Overall this is a very good draft.  While not the players I want, I see how they will fit the Steelers and compliment the team.  

47 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Hot Take:

We're going to miss the playoffs this year, the Browns will make it, and in 4 years from now the talking heads will point to the 2015-2018+ drafts as to why.

Duh...I mean, they win the draft every year, and are perennial SB contenders...

Myles Garrett

Jabrill Peppers

David Njoku

DeShone Kizer

Corey Coleman

Emmanuel Ogbah

Carl Nassib

Danny Shelton

Cameron Erving

Justin Gilbert

Barkevious Mingo

Trent Richardson

Just look at that list; how do you lose with those prospects; not too mention the fact that they had TWICE as many picks in 2016 (14) that every other team gets...AND...had another 10 picks last year...AND...had 4 picks in the first 2 rounds this year!  

Honestly, the fact that they haven't been a playoff contender is mind-boggling.  If they do not make the playoffs this year, then the owner should fire EVERYONE, including himself. and sell the team to Art Midell's son, David, and Brown's fans should just become fans of whatever city he picks up and move the team to, just as his father did...

6 minutes ago, Armsteeld2 said:

What I don’t get is people bashing him for missing tackles, taking bad angles to the ball, and playing the ball badly in the air, all without showing any proof.   Watching his cut ups, Tremaine, and Tim Settle’s and I don’t see those issues.  Sounds like the lazy narrative being driven by guys like Lance Zierlein and Bucky Brooks.

I watched almost every VT game living in the heart of Virginia.  He's going to struggle.  His first step is always towards the LOS, so it's easy to get behind him.  Then he puts his head down to turn and run, watches the pass catcher rather than tracking the ball.  His angles thing might be a tad overblown, as some of it came from his need to protect that right shoulder.  What I get concerned with is he tries to play downhill first, to the sideline second.  That needs some work.  He needs to learn to break down and tackle off two feet rather than one foot tackles.

Depending on this new using the head rule the NFL is putting in place, I think he might be in for a few flags early in his career as his tackle motion is Shazier like.

Chukwuma Okorafor needs work and is someone I came away unimpressed with.  Can one of you guys who enjoy and understands OL break him down?  ?? 

Long wingspan.  Knows how to take away the inside moves and forces rushers to take the long road.  For his size, he move his feet extremely well.  One of the better pulling tackles I've seen in a while.  Uses his hands well and is extremely balanced.  Doesn't dip into blocks.

He needs work on taking a bigger base as he tended to stay narrow and get beat by power rushers.  Though he uses his hands well and has a big wingspan, he doesn't always use both to his advantage.  He can get his hands out there, and engage the rusher faster, and he becomes a lockdown blocker.  He's not consistent.  

Didn't start playing football until highschool, so he's still got a ways to grow.

Archived