Eagles Draft Thread - When you're here, you're Champions! ™

Kiltman

2 minutes ago, Phire said:

I don't understand the obsession with RBs. Neither the Eagles nor the Patriots had a premier workhorse back and those were your #1 and #2 teams.

RBs get hurt too often. Guys like Zeke and Barkley will inevitably suffer horrible injuries at some point. It's better to be deep at RB than have one great back.

I feel really good about Clement being the one guy that sticks around for a while as we rotate out different backs.

He's a good one

5 minutes ago, Phire said:

I don't understand the obsession with RBs. Neither the Eagles nor the Patriots had a premier workhorse back and those were your #1 and #2 teams.

RBs get hurt too often. Guys like Zeke and Barkley will inevitably suffer horrible injuries at some point. It's better to be deep at RB than have one great back.

Yea, prime Shady sucked. I get it, you don't need a great RB to win SB's, but they certainly don't hurt to have, especially when you don't have a Wentz or Brady. Thank god the Patriots don't value RB, or we might have lost. The Corey Dillon Patriots were the scariest.

12 minutes ago, Jeezla said:

DaeSean Hamilton is a better one and weighs 20 lbs more.

Yeah Burnett’s frame is slight, probably  why he’ll drop far. I do think we take a WR today: 

I think the point is, is that a workhorse back is a luxury. I think the Eagles (not just them) proved, at least last year, depth is just as important as top end talent. You have to know when and how to pay guys. I think Howie has a good handle on how to allocate money. He watched Seattle load up on talent while paying Wilson a minimum. As good as Zeke or Barkley or Shady are, there's a collective that can be about as effective at a fraction of the cost. It's a little irresponsible to pay a RB 7M+. 

All situations are individual different with contract/team/salary but just on its face:

Devonte Freeman: 8M

Ingram/Kamara: 5M

A combo like Melvin Gordon/Derrick Henry: 4M

I think you draft a RB 2nd round on on and work him for 4-5 years and let him go. It's the best approach to protect yourself from potential albatross deals and cap issues. I'm sure they're exceptions but that would be my business model. Like it or not, trading Shady probably helped us long term. 

Archived