49ers Select Mike McGlinchey, OT, Notre Dame #9 Overall

y2lamanaki

31 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

Ummm.....WHAT??

Not that McG is a bad player. I actually like him alot but where does he play and why@9? If its RT, then what are we doing with Brown? If its OG than he's definitely a reach. Could have traded back and got him in the early teens IMO..

No we couldn't. He was going to be the Raiders pick. 

I tried telling you guys that Peter King isn't one to blow smoke. He was in our damn draft room last year and I'm sure he has good connects on our team.

So is there any chance he could play guard until he takes over for Brown in 2019? 

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I tried telling you guys that Peter King isn't one to blow smoke. He was in our damn draft room last year and I'm sure he has good connects on our team.

So is there any chance he could play guard until he takes over for Brown in 2019? 

He's starting at tackle I'd almost guarantee. I've thought he could play guard, but a lot of people disagree with me there; don't think he has the strength and push to make it work. He's also 6'8, which admittedly could be hard to stay in your base inside. 

Just now, Forge said:

He's starting at tackle I'd almost guarantee. I've thought he could play guard, but a lot of people disagree with me there; don't think he has the strength and push to make it work. He's also 6'8, which admittedly could be hard to stay in your base inside. 

If he starts then I'm fine with it. But it doesn't improve our team since he will likely jus cancel out Brown...if that. Sure he is a much better run blocker and that should help, but we need to get something for Brown this weekend. 

Just now, J-ALL-DAY said:

If he starts then I'm fine with it. But it doesn't improve our team since he will likely jus cancel out Brown...if that. Sure he is a much better run blocker and that should help, but we need to get something for Brown this weekend. 

Someone posted int he other thread that this was spurred because Brown is massively out of shape and still having problems with the shoulder. Admittedly, makes more sense on drafting McGlinchey if that were the case, but I have to imagine Brown's trade value is toilet water right now. 

21 minutes ago, Forge said:

He also wasn't anywhere close to a top 10 prospect, he just wasn't. This isn't Tyson Alualu bad, but it's a big reach. 

Meh...based on what, amateur mock drafts? The "experts" don't know a thing; you know that Forge. The last time the 49ers "reached" on a guy this high, it was Aldon, who was a great player before the bottle sucked him in (a problem he developed in the pros, not college). Sounds like the Raiders were hot for McGlinchey at #10, and they did just draft an OT at #15, so we know they were looking hard at that position. So it looks like at least two teams thought he was a top-10 talent.

Need to stay humble when it comes to the draft, and remember that we know f-all about these players. If McGlinchey ends up being good, then it was a good pick. It's not like the team is set for years at tackle, and it's a position that takes a year or so for the transition to the pros, anyway.

Just now, Forge said:

Someone posted int he other thread that this was spurred because Brown is massively out of shape and still having problems with the shoulder. Admittedly, makes more sense on drafting McGlinchey if that were the case, but I have to imagine Brown's trade value is toilet water right now. 

Out of shape? Lets wait until camp starts. But shoulder surgery was supposed to put him out until July. If they don't like him, then fine. But I don't buy all these excuses. Could simply be he's not a good run blocker and Shanny wanted to upgrade there. 

2 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I believe McGlinchey is also a way better locker room guy than Brown is or ever will be. 

Brown has always had trouble with his conditioning and there are legit questions about his work ethic. 

2 minutes ago, Ronnie's Pinky said:

Meh...based on what, amateur mock drafts? The "experts" don't know a thing; you know that Forge. The last time the 49ers "reached" on a guy this high, it was Aldon, who was a great player before the bottle sucked him in (a problem he developed in the pros, not college). Sounds like the Raiders were hot for McGlinchey at #10, and they did just draft an OT at #15, so we know they were looking hard at that position. So it looks like at least two teams thought he was a top-10 talent.

Need to stay humble when it comes to the draft, and remember that we know f-all about these players. If McGlinchey ends up being good, then it was a good pick. It's not like the team is set for years at tackle, and it's a position that takes a year or so for the transition to the pros, anyway.

Well, the only way we can have reactions is if we are basing it on how we feel lol. Otherwise there's no reason to enjoy it! lol. I mean, as J said - he wouldn't have been there if we traded down. the Raiders were a lock to have taken him, will guarantee that. But just based on my ameteurish scouting and dratnik nonsense he's a reach. But that's why I'm having the reaction I am, of course. If I didn't have my own opinion on him, on it, then I wouldn't have any reaction at all. 

Does that make any sense whatsoever? LOL

Archived