Raiders trade for Martavius Bryant

NickButera

1 hour ago, Roninho said:

Do we have cap room next year to pay him and the other guys we need to pay?

If we have that room imo a good move. The guy can play and brngs something special what our offense currently lacks and also needs. 

Yes, we have plenty of money to get him plus Mack cap hit and a new deal for Edwards and Melvin if we wish. I understand people counting him being in a contract year as a negative for us but looking at the player and the situation, I think its a positive. This has to work for him or he is playing in Canada or the AFL next year. If he balls like we know he can then he will be lined up for some decent money. Whether we pay it or not, we get something in return in comp pick value. It's also motivation to keep his nose clean obviously though I think he has matured and the influence of Gruden, Carr, Nelson and Coop will be better than the mad house that Tomlin runs with Big Ben and AB being the influences. He is set up for success. Now he has to seize it.

After a night of cooling off, I still am weary of this pickup. I can get over the inconsistencies,occasional disappearing acts and even the fact he is up for a contract soon. But what I can not accept is giving up a 3rd, and doing so for a player who has been busted twice already. That I will never be cool with.

For me to be stoked with this transaction would require him to ball out, get re-signed and never have another substance issue. Those are all big ifs.

18 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

After a night of cooling off, I still am weary of this pickup. I can get over the inconsistencies,occasional disappearing acts and even the fact he is up for a contract soon. But what I can not accept is giving up a 3rd, and doing so for a player who has been busted twice already. That I will never be cool with.

For me to be stoked with this transaction would require him to ball out, get re-signed and never have another substance issue. Those are all big ifs.

I just drank my morning coffee and have a bit too much energy so I decided to look at this from a different angle. There were 8 WRs drafted in round 3 last year. They combined for about 1750 receiving yards which means the average receiving yards for a WR drafted in the 3rd round last year was about 220 yards. The 3rd round WRs of the 2016 draft average about 85 yards a season. 2015 3rd round WRs average about 207 yards receiving a season. I’ll take the production Bryant is going to provide over that 200 yards a season any day..

As far as character concerns, yea I wasn’t very smart either in my early 20s either. If I had the resources that Bryan did I’m sure it would’ve been even worse, but I woke up, put my head on straight, and corrected myself. I see no reason that he can’t do the same thing, and judging by recent interviews, he has made that change.

2 minutes ago, Chali21 said:

So what does this mean for Seth Roberts? He obviously gets pushed down the depth cart maybe even cut. What are thoughts?

I wish we could cut him, but I remember reading his incentives or some bonuses kicked in a while ago. We had the chance to cut him prior, but didn't. That makes me think we will keep him unfortunately. 

I do not understand how anyone can not be extremely pleased with the trade for Bryant.  Is there risk with him, sure but not more risk than drafting a player in the 3rd round who has never taken a snap in the NFL.  Looks at 3rd round picks from the last 2 years and tell me how many players you would rather have than Bryant?  Bryant at 26 has way more upside than any 3rd rounder and has shown elite flashes during his career.  

If he is dedicated to taking his game to the next level this trade will be highway robbery.  Gruden gets it and knows what I have been saying for years and that being an big elite X is what this team has been lacking on O.  This move not only helps Carr but it also helps Cooper tremendously and takes a bunch of pressure off him.  We can now move Cooper all over the field and line him up in different areas based on match ups.  This move will allow Cooper to develop and flourish while not having the pressure of being the number 1.  I am going out on a limb and will say I believe Cooper has his best season to date.  

27 minutes ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

I do not understand how anyone can not be extremely pleased with the trade for Bryant.  Is there risk with him, sure but not more risk than drafting a player in the 3rd round who has never taken a snap in the NFL.  Looks at 3rd round picks from the last 2 years and tell me how many players you would rather have than Bryant?  Bryant at 26 has way more upside than any 3rd rounder and has shown elite flashes during his career.  

If he is dedicated to taking his game to the next level this trade will be highway robbery.  Gruden gets it and knows what I have been saying for years and that being an big elite X is what this team has been lacking on O.  This move not only helps Carr but it also helps Cooper tremendously and takes a bunch of pressure off him.  We can now move Cooper all over the field and line him up in different areas based on match ups.  This move will allow Cooper to develop and flourish while not having the pressure of being the number 1.  I am going out on a limb and will say I believe Cooper has his best season to date.  

So who will be the 1? Bryant?

I don't hate the move but i'm not extremely pleased either. Giving up a 3rd for a player who has been suspended a full season and with one year left on his contract seems too much. Bryant is probably better in 2018 than any WR we would have drafted in the 3rd but the problem is what happens after that.

25 minutes ago, oakdb36 said:

So who will be the 1? Bryant?

I don't hate the move but i'm not extremely pleased either. Giving up a 3rd for a player who has been suspended a full season and with one year left on his contract seems too much. Bryant is probably better in 2018 than any WR we would have drafted in the 3rd but the problem is what happens after that.

I don't think Coop, Bryant and Nelson have to described as #1,2 or 3, more like X,Y,Z. I think they will play their positions according to the scheme and all get catches.

I can see the thinking a 3rd is too much but Bryant has the chance to really set the offense up for great things. Yes, it's a risk but if he has a great year and we choose to sign him, then great and if he leaves after a great year, we get a good comp pick value.

6 minutes ago, NightTrainLane said:

I don't think Coop, Bryant and Nelson have to described as #1,2 or 3, more like X,Y,Z. I think they will play their positions according to the scheme and all get catches.

I can see the thinking a 3rd is too much but Bryant has the chance to really set the offense up for great things. Yes, it's a risk but if he has a great year and we choose to sign him, then great and if he leaves after a great year, we get a good comp pick value.

Any comp pick we'd get would be lower than what we gave up. The only way we benefit from this is if Bryant is re-signed. You don't trade a 3rd to get a lower 3rd (at best) later. And you shouldn't trade a 3rd for 1 year (Seattle did send a 2nd for one year of Richardson...)

5 minutes ago, NightTrainLane said:

Yup, line up Bryant as the split end, where the corner has to be timid to press him because of his speed.

Line Cooper up as the flanker where he has space to get around the press that he still struggles with.

Line Nelson up at slot where his slower speed won't hurt him as much, and he can use his ability to find soft spots in zones better here.

1 hour ago, oakdb36 said:

Any comp pick we'd get would be lower than what we gave up. The only way we benefit from this is if Bryant is re-signed. You don't trade a 3rd to get a lower 3rd (at best) later. And you shouldn't trade a 3rd for 1 year (Seattle did send a 2nd for one year of Richardson...)

Obviously the goal is for him to be here long term but if it doesn't work that way I was pointing out other ways we could stand to recoup value.

Archived