Draft day 2 - Official discussion thread

49erurtaza

Just now, oldman9er said:

Best begrudgingly Jerry Seinfeld voice:

"okay, that's not bad." 

Honestly, Sweat is all upside, and I'll shoot for the moon here. Frazier is a later round pick, and he's not as good, but I like the value he represents later. Ejiofor is just so good with his hands...I love polished pass rushers. 

15 minutes ago, Forge said:

See, and I'm absolutely okay with that. If there is a guy that you covet and love, and don't want to risk, don't. A little different when you're going up though lol

I really disagree with this - a lot. Teams should never "covet" or "love" a prospect. The best thing they could do is ban the term "our guy" from their evaluations. They need to be totallhy dispassionate and completely business-like about it.  The most important thing they need to remember is that teams get it wrong - a whole lot. Even in the second round half the picks never amount to much. Even guys that teams really "coveted" or "loved" often don't amount to much. If there's only a 50-50 chance (or less further down in the draft) they should be very reluctant  to give up multiple picks for a guy that it is literally impossilble for them to be sure will succeed. If you take two guys with a 50-50 chance of success that gives you a 75% chance that at least one of them will, and a 25% chance that both of them will. That's a damn site better than the chances that somehow a team has magically icnreased its odds of getting it right from 50% all the way up to something higher than 75%.  On the remotest of chances that they do beat those odds they are completing giving up on the 25% chance that they could pick two guys that have successful carreers.

There's a really high probability that one of next several WRs taken after Pettis will be better than Pettis. Sure we don't know which one. But we also do not know that Pettis is the one that will be better than all of the rest of them. So we should not give up multiple picks for the privilege of taking our choice from amoung a group a guys that history has shown we can't successfully tell apart

Just now, StevenK said:

Any thoughts on Tyrell Crosby? I know ppl had him mocked to us

A little superfluous after McGlinchey unless you are putting him at guard. Not completely out of the question, but with Tomlinson back, Garnett back, signing Cooper, and Mags in the mix as the likely back up center, I don't know how likely it is that we go O-line this early again. IN the later rounds as a roster flier? I could see that. 

Just now, Forge said:

Honestly, Sweat is all upside, and I'll shoot for the moon here. Frazier is a later round pick, and he's not as good, but I like the value he represents later. Ejiofor is just so good with his hands...I love polished pass rushers. 

Really not surprised to see Sweat drop like he has. I thought he'd be a Day 3 pick...he's not too far away now. Still would prefer Armstrong to him, but if either are still there tomorrow at #128, I would like either. I really think Okoronkwo is the best chance at a LEO left in the draft. That's my hope. 

Just now, y2lamanaki said:

Really not surprised to see Sweat drop like he has. I thought he'd be a Day 3 pick...he's not too far away now. Still would prefer Armstrong to him, but if either are still there tomorrow at #128, I would like either. I really think Okoronkwo is the best chance at a LEO left in the draft. That's my hope. 

I almost put Armstrong on that list just for you. But he's got some speed issues I don't love. 

Just now, y2lamanaki said:

lots of yes to this

Archived