Draft Day Two & Three - Discussion (Rounds 2-7)

dhunt2402

Living in Boston I've been paying attention to the Pat's a lot this off season. How do you guys feel about the lack of picks so far, not used to address the front 7? From an outsiders perspective it seemed like the weakest area on the team

2 minutes ago, Eagles23 said:

Living in Boston I've been paying attention to the Pat's a lot this off season. How do you guys feel about the lack of picks so far, not used to address the front 7? From an outsiders perspective it seemed like the weakest area on the team

It’s not ideal, but not a killer. 

They signed Adrian Clayborn who has been routinely stout on the edge, if nothing else. They added more beef up front in NT Danny Shelton. I think Belichick expects a big jump out of interior rusher Adam Butler and DE Deatrich Wise Jr. Most of all, Dont’a Hightower and Derek Rivers are returning to the fold, both expected to be impactful. Incumbents Trey Flowers, Malcolm Brown, and Lawrence Guy aren’t world beaters, but they aren’t bad. 

I think NE was going to take a Rashaan Evans but were jumped by Tennessee. It’d be nice to add a linebacker (I’m hoping for Shaq Griffin or Josey Jewell, possibly Holland).

Not a huge fan of the Dawson pick, but CB was a need with 3 of the top 4 players on depth chart being FAs (McCourty, Jones, Rowe). Wynn was a slam dunk though, I have him penciled in as either starting LG or starting LT. Michel immediately fills a gap and helps make the running game diverse again. JMO, but I’m not too upset with how the offseason has gone so far.

The guy is built like a wall of bricks and moves as graceful as one too.  Exactly what this defense needed. :/

6'2 height

260 LBS

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/ja'whaun-bentley?id=32462018-0002-5610-575c-f545ea80baf9

Overview
Thick-framed inside linebacker with a taste for contact. Bentley's physical approach and ability to attack and defeat blockers make him an ideal candidate as a run-down thumper along the inside. However, Bentley has athletic limitations that hinder his effectiveness as an NFL finisher and he's ill-suited to handle coverage duties against the pass. Bentley lacks ideal speed and reaction time, but his size and toughness could make him a solid backup inside linebacker who could find reps down the line.
Strengths

• Built like a stack of bricks with the frame of an old school inside linebacker. Muscular and thick through his arms, chest, and lower half. Extremely strong for his position with 31 bench reps at his pro day. Tough, willing banger at the point of attack who is hard to move in heads-up battle. Able to drop his anchor and leverage his gap with force. Uses early, heavy hands to challenge blocks. Uncoils into climbing blockers giving them a taste of his power. Above average playing off blocks and finding tackles. Strikes with his full weight behind his pads and is a wrap-up tackler

Weaknesses

• Diagnose to reaction time is average. Play lacks knee bend and is unable to gain good ground with lateral slide steps when scraping. Forced to open hips and run to the gap rather than slide. Struggles to disengage quickly from angle blocks on his edge. Build-up speed limits his sideline to sideline range. Below average agility to unlock tackle opportunities at challenging angles. Change of direction is labored. Has missed games in three straight seasons including an ACL tear in 2015. Stiff in his drops and open field coverage on passing downs

Archived