49ers Select Fred Warner, LB, BYU #70 Overall

y2lamanaki

One of my favourite picks in the draft so far.  In the right scheme, this guy has game-changing potential imo.  Has the potential to be a Telvin Smith type impact player as a WLB.  Or just be a Foster who isn't apparently a total scumbag human being.  You can do different stuff with Warner, and put him in different schemes...but he's got the ability to stay on the field 3 downs and make an impact on any one of them.

Also my favorite pick so far, Lynch loves picking SoCal guys. Warner from San Diego, Pettis from San Clemente. 

BYU produces good linebackers so I like that, obviously high character, probably one of the best coverage LBs (that isnt a DB convert). I'd say good value with the pick too. 

Just now, 48 1/2ers said:

Also my favorite pick so far, Lynch loves picking SoCal guys. Warner from San Diego, Pettis from San Clemente. 

BYU produces good linebackers so I like that, obviously high character, probably one of the best coverage LBs (that isnt a DB convert). I'd say good value with the pick too. 

Teams do tend to favor those that play in their area since they get to watch them more. This especially applies to the UDFAs. 

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Teams do tend to favor those that play in their area since they get to watch them more. This especially applies to the UDFAs. 

I'm more a believer of that today than I was yesterday. Any San Diego UDFA prospects to keep an eye out for?

4 minutes ago, 48 1/2ers said:

I'm more a believer of that today than I was yesterday. Any San Diego UDFA prospects to keep an eye out for?

No clue, but look for most of the UDFAs or even late round picks to be from the West Coast. 

College scouting also tends to be a bit weaker in the west because the conferences are considered weaker, on the whole. For example, I personally think Pettis would be seen as an appropriate pick where the team drafted him if he'd been scouted better, and had been able to work out at the combine.

4 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

No clue, but look for most of the UDFAs or even late round picks to be from the West Coast. 

Yup. We had a really strong UDFA class last year, even if not all of them worked out (Jerome, Cannon), but obviously several of them did. I'm looking forward to seeing what we do. I'll be curious to see if we try out someone like Darren Carrington. Kylie Fitts if he goes undrafted wouldn't be a shock. 

1 hour ago, Ronnie's Pinky said:

College scouting also tends to be a bit weaker in the west because the conferences are considered weaker, on the whole. For example, I personally think Pettis would be seen as an appropriate pick where the team drafted him if he'd been scouted better, and had been able to work out at the combine.

Maybe. West coast games come on late back east. So a lot fewerr people see them and talk up guys that aren't super stars.  The year Browning took over I watched Washington a lot.  That's when I noticed that they had a bunch of talent, not just the QB.  I've like Pettis for a couple of year. I think he's going to be good.  Not sure he's my favorite guy to pick at 43, or that I would have moved up when we did to get him.  But he's really good. If I have any concerns it's that he's not very big or strong and might have a hard time if pressed at the line. He's quick so maybe he can juke a guy at the line. But NFL CBs will have a lot more makeup speed than he's used to. By and large his route to success will be a lot harder in the NFL than it was in college.

4 minutes ago, big9erfan said:

Maybe. West coast games come on late back east. So a lot fewerr people see them and talk up guys that aren't super stars.  The year Browning took over I watched Washington a lot.  That's when I noticed that they had a bunch of talent, not just the QB.  I've like Pettis for a couple of year. I think he's going to be good.  Not sure he's my favorite guy to pick at 43, or that I would have moved up when we did to get him.  But he's really good. If I have any concerns it's that he's not very big or strong and might have a hard time if pressed at the line. He's quick so maybe he can juke a guy at the line. But NFL CBs will have a lot more makeup speed than he's used to. By and large his route to success will be a lot harder in the NFL than it was in college.

It's interesting. The book on Pettis is that he can be beaten by press coverage, but Kyle said he thought Pettis was one of the best receivers at beating press coverage in the draft.  We'll have to wait and see if he was right. Pettis makes great cuts with no deceleration, and he does seem to be a good hand fighter. I dunno if that's enough to succeed at the NFL level, but I can see the potential there for him to be a very difficult receiver to contain.

2 minutes ago, Ronnie's Pinky said:

It's interesting. The book on Pettis is that he can be beaten by press coverage, but Kyle said he thought Pettis was one of the best receivers at beating press coverage in the draft.  We'll have to wait and see if he was right. Pettis makes great cuts with no deceleration, and he does seem to be a good hand fighter. I dunno if that's enough to succeed at the NFL level, but I can see the potential there for him to be a very difficult receiver to contain.

I was surprised when he weighed in at 186. He looked to me like he was playing even lighter than that. Yeah, he's really quick and smooth. So guys will have a hard time mirroring his moves. But a lot of plays are timing plays and I still worry that he can be held up getting off the line and it will throw off the whole play.

On 4/27/2018 at 10:05 PM, J-ALL-DAY said:

MIKE? Unlikely, but that's okay. I don't want him playing MIKE. But I do love the fact he could cover so well. Certain packages we could blitz Tartt/slot CB and have Warner drop out on the slot corner or TE. 

I think he could play MIKE in the nickel package. That's mostly used for passing downs and we certainly don't want Coyle out there. This is what I see our LB corps looking like until Foster gets back:

4-3 Base

WILL: M. Smith
MIKE: B. Coyle
SAM: E. Harold

Nickel

WILL: M. Smith
MIKE: F. Warner

When Foster get's back, I think Warner plays primarily backup WILL on all three downs. 

Archived