Potential Trade?

LuckyIrish23

The biggest problem of trading that pick, is that the team the Packers try to deal it to, will automatically go with a worst scenario on how high the NO pick will be. 

Given Brees is 39, and how much the team relies on him, that assumption might be blown out of the water. It is not that much of a stretch to imagine a bad season by them, and the 2019 pick being at (for example) around the #10 mark. No sureties here, but that kind of ceiling-value means it woud take a lot to persuade me to give the pick up, before the 2019 draft.

How long since we have had 2x 1st rounders ? I don't count the Raji/CM3 year, since we traded several same-year picks to move up. This time we get the full number of picks plus the extra first.

On 4/29/2018 at 8:45 AM, Cadmus said:

I'd have to think long and hard about Bosa for our 2019 3rd. 

The facts are the facts.... we can't draft anyone that's even marginally productive in the 3rd Round. 

Joey Bosa for a 3rd?????? Buddy have I got some news for you....

14 hours ago, strat1080 said:

Seriously?

In respect to what? The DT trade? Obviously depends on the slot of the pick. Would you not be interested in picking up a veteran (not necessarily Thomas) if it meant we were trading back from 30-32 to high 30s/low 40s, as well as getting another 3rd? 

I figure Nick Bosa is going to be the highest drafted non-QB next year, so we're not trading up for him.  Joey Bosa is not available for trade (practically) while Shane Ray might be, but we don't want him because it's a one year rental on a player who isn't very good.

3 minutes ago, NormSizedMidget said:

Where's this Shane Ray love coming from all the sudden

Guy had 8 sacks in his second year at Denver after 4 as a rook. Was hurt much of last year. He's a young, dynamic EDGE rusher. We currently don't have jack at the position other than two often injured starters and couple of "what if" guys. What's not to like? 

8 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Guy had 8 sacks in his second year at Denver after 4 as a rook. Was hurt much of last year. He's a young, dynamic EDGE rusher. We currently don't have jack at the position other than two often injured starters and couple of "what if" guys. What's not to like? 

Giving up a second for him.

10 minutes ago, TheBitzMan said:

Broncos declined his 5th year option, so the assumption is he is available. 

And that's where I kind of fall out of line. Every time someone is available we always go wow this could be a great trade etc etc. Why is he available? Why did they decline before they got a replacement? He was never healthy last year and good before that. But it seems like we just go down the list every year as people come available and we want them all. Everyone is bright sided to high hell like there's no negative and all positive. I'd like these ideas more if I didn't feel like it wasn't always the same people who want everyone ever from any team that ever existed pushing for them. (None of this is directed at you btw.)

I'd be all about a Shane Ray trade. But not for a damn second imo. I think people get too wrapped up in the excitement of new toys to ever really look at both sides. It's just everything is perfect. Do this and you win titles! Trades like this happen all the time that don't amount to much.

On 4/29/2018 at 12:38 PM, PossibleCabbage said:

I reckon there's about 12 edge guys to watch this year who might be 1st round picks.  Like the entire Clemson DL might go round 1 (Ferrell got a "top 10" DAB grade and went back to school) and Little Bosa is going to be in the conversation to go #1 overall.

This 2019 DL class is going to be INSANE.

10 minutes ago, NormSizedMidget said:

And that's where I kind of fall out of line. Every time someone is available we always go wow this could be a great trade etc etc. Why is he available? Why did they decline before they got a replacement? He was never healthy last year and good before that. But it seems like we just go down the list every year as people come available and we want them all. Everyone is bright sided to high hell like there's no negative and all positive. I'd like these ideas more if I didn't feel like it wasn't always the same people who want everyone ever from any team that ever existed pushing for them. (None of this is directed at you btw.)

I'd be all about a Shane Ray trade. But not for a damn second imo. I think people get too wrapped up in the excitement of new toys to ever really look at both sides. It's just everything is perfect. Do this and you win titles! Trades like this happen all the time that don't amount to much.

I'm pretty much on board with this. I think people are looking at the draft pedigree he had coming out as opposed to him not living up to that pedigree so far. I think he would be a fine 4th-5th round draft pick flier and could fill in a nice role as a rotational pass rusher in our defense but outside of that, I don't think I'd be willing to give up more for Shane Ray. 

1 minute ago, Nick_gb said:

I'm pretty much on board with this. I think people are looking at the draft pedigree he had coming out as opposed to him not living up to that pedigree so far. I think he would be a fine 4th-5th round draft pick flier and could fill in a nice role as a rotational pass rusher in our defense but outside of that, I don't think I'd be willing to give up more for Shane Ray. 

I'm cool with looking at that too. And there's a logical reason why he didn't plan well last year and everything. People's hearts are in the right place. They want to win and adding good players helps you win. I just feel like most years by the end there's guys who wanted 25 free agents and 15 different trades. I know they didn't want to do all of them in one year obviously. But they just go down the list convincing themselves every single one is how we win. If you looked back after a few years, how high was the percentage on those guys becoming what we thought they could be here? Pretty low probably. But it always feels like they're no brainers.

Archived