AG20's Prospect Breakdown (Alexander and Bradley Done)

AlexGreen#20

Thought I'd put one of these together

Jaire Alexander (CB-Louisville)

Related image

This roster needed a slot CB in the worst way. Randall got traded which left the depth chart before the draft looking like the winner of a training camp battle between Josh Hawkins and Lenzy Pipkins was going to get starter reps. This selection prevents that from happening, and consequently the rash of chronic alcohol abuse that would have occurred in its wake. I like Alexander in the slot a lot more than I do on the boundary. He has a lot to like and a lot that needs to get cleaned up. A few of those issues go away when moved into the slot.

What you like about Alexander is just his pure route skills. He can freaking move, both in his ability to change direction and his ability to accelerate. He's got the cruiser speed and the afterburner speed that good bait-and-pick NFL CBs combine. Additionally he can catch the football, he's got soft hands and usually does a pretty good job tracking it.  He's a very mature CB as far as his understanding of route concepts. I feel like the Packers have struggled for a decade with their ability to pass off receivers during crossing routes. Alexander does a great job of that and additionally of not getting caught up in the muck. That skillset should play very well in the slot. He's the most developed pure man to man cover guy that the Packers have drafted in some time. 

https://imgur.com/SGC0vYp

He knew this ball was coming, that's what I mean when I say he has a great understanding of concepts.

https://imgur.com/ddXvmqh

Terrible decision by the QB, but a beautiful bait and extension by Alexander.

https://imgur.com/9Ql0LXF

Very good undercutter of routes.

https://imgur.com/5lVYElX

Does an excellent job of staying in the path of the receiver and using his body to redirect them.

The issues on the boundary are a bit much at times. He's a very aggressive cover guy in that he wants to come up and hit. He occasionally gets caught peeking in the backfield. He is very confident in his own speed, and at times he can't chase down a mistake that he thinks he can outrun. He is not a very developed press guy, and he does not have a very big deflection window. All of these issues lead to problems with letting guys get behind him. In college football, QBs miss open deep shots 50% of the time. In the NFL that number falls to about 15%. His biggest issue in the slot is going to be the small deflection window. Danny Etling of LSU threw a couple of beautiful balls by him, taking advantage of the size advantage that DJ Chark had. Alexander played both throws about as well as you can ask a DB to cover them, and still gave up a completion just because Chark's catch radius is wider than what Alexander could cover. As you get into the NFL, more QBs are capable of threading the needle. He'll have to work on his ability to lay out and tip away balls that he wasn't seeing in college.

https://imgur.com/20auCvP

Just plays it weak and doesn't force the receiver far enough outside, doesn't get his head around. This is a very end of a blowout though so I'm willing to forgive.

https://imgur.com/DBM1xC3

Peeking in the backfield badly. Purdue is a terrible football school.

https://imgur.com/QRwkcLB

Really bad press technique leading to a penalty.

https://imgur.com/x9E0WmT

Bit super hard on the double move and had to grab a fist full of jersey.

https://imgur.com/AVD5XTK

Very similar play to the FSU TD. Just doesn't trust his technique to turn his head around and play for the ball. In fairness this is an incredible throw.

https://imgur.com/vw8NiUq

Just bad coverage.

https://imgur.com/98Hj49P

Looking in the backfield again. Terrible throw by Watson.

https://imgur.com/XDs2Oag

Really bad redirect at the line. Another terrible throw by Watson.

As far as the ancillary skills:

He's not great in run support. Derrius Guice made him look really dumb a few times. Not a good form tackler on QBs and RBs. 

He should be a productive guy on specials, but I would rather Davis keep returning punts. I think Davis is both a better return guy and his health is far less important to the production of the team. 

On the medical:

The broken wrist is really only a question because of his slight build. You worry about guys his size and their ability to absorb the pounding that comes with playing in the NFL. Alexander will play 50% more football games in an NFL season than he did in any college season and he’s going to be tackling bigger and more explosive players during those games. It’s always a concern that sub 200lb players aren’t going to hold up in freezing games in January, so seeing a blunt force trauma injury on his body already might make some General Managers pause. The other injury he dealt with in 2017 was a knee sprain that he suffered in the season opener. It kept him out for four straight games, including the marquee rematch against Clemson that everyone was so excited for.

Ultimately, football is a violent sport and players are going to get injured. Neither of the injuries should raise any sort of significant red flag with Alexander assuming that X-rays show his wrist is healed correctly with proper bone density and his knee has been thoroughly worked out and been declared structurally sound.  Both injuries fall under the heading of “Items to watch” rather than something that could limit his ceiling or production via long term implications.

More irritating for scouts was Alexander missing the two ACC powerhouses in Clemson and Florida State with injuries and then ducking out of the Gator Bowl against Mississippi State. The only game Alexander played against respectable competition in 2017 was against NC State and in that game he played very limited snaps and certainly wasn’t playing at one-hundred percent. In order to get a proper read on Jaire, you almost have to turn back the DVD player to 2016, which is always a frustrating thing to do when you’re looking at a player who will be playing in the NFL in 2018.

Overall (B-): This is a decent pick. He's a third tier CB prospect which is about what you would expect drafting at 18. Ward was the only tier-two CB in this class and he went 4th overall. The length and the deep ball issues are the predominant concern with him, but those are mitigated to an extent in the slot. I fully expect him to be a starter by week 4 and a decent player by week 12. He projects to be a pretty good CB. Can't be too upset with the pick. Hopefully he can catch some balls this year, because we might set a record for fewest INTs if he doesn't. 

+++

Josh Jackson

+++

Oren Burks

+++

J'Mon Moore

+++

Cole Madison

+++

JK Scott

+++

Marquez Valdes-Scantling

+++

Equanimeous St. Brown

+++

James Looney

+++

Hunter Bradley

On one hand, we needed a long snapper. Goode is now quite old and has suffered injuries.

With that acknowledged. . . why the hell are we drafting a LS with three ACL tears in a 9 year football career? If the issue with Goode is that he isn't healthy, then drafting this dude doesn't seem like a wise investment. 

I know these are throwaway picks this late in the draft, but come on. you could've signed a UDFA/UFA of equal or better quality without using the pick.

+++

Kendall Donnerson

Good write up. Jaire is perfect for the slot, short but very twitchy and quick athlete. Can't wait to see him pick off passes over the middle. I think it will start off as Tramon, King, and Alexander as the starters, and maybe Jackson takes over later in the season. But certainly what ever lineup, we are looking at this position as a strength now. Never would have thought to say that after Randall got traded.

Awesome work, look forward to the rest.  Tracked down a few articles about the LS...because we drafted a LS :o  The 3 ACLs were while playing TE, prompting the move to LS.  Been healthy since the position change (keep the braces on at the pro level xD).,

On 4/29/2018 at 7:16 AM, AlexGreen#20 said:

Thought I'd put one of these together

Jaire Alexander (CB-Louisville)

Related image

Overall (B-): This is a decent pick. He's a third tier CB prospect which is about what you would expect drafting at 18. Ward was the only tier-two CB in this class and he went 4th overall. The length and the deep ball issues are the predominant concern with him, but those are mitigated to an extent in the slot. I fully expect him to be a starter by week 4 and a decent player by week 12.

Here's the murderers row of slot WR's he'll face this year. Not sure I got them all correct, pulled em from ourlads

Bears - Taylor Gabriel / Anthony Miller x 2

Vikes - Adam Thielen x 2

Wash-  Paul Richardson

Bills- ?

Lions- Golden Tate x 2

SF – Trent Taylor

Rams- Brandon Cooks

Pats – Edelman

Phins - Danny Amendola

Seahawks – Tyler Lockett

Cards - Christian Kirk

Falcons – Justin Hardy/Calvin Ridley

Jets – Robby Anderson

8 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

Here's the murderers row of slot WR's he'll face this year. Not sure I got them all correct, pulled em from ourlads

Vikes - Adam Thielen x 2

Wash-  Paul Richardson

Bills- ?

Lions- Golden Tate x 2

SF – Trent Taylor

Rams- Brandon Cooks

Pats – Edelman

Phins - Danny Amendola

Seahawks – Tyler Lockett

Cards - Christian Kirk

Jets – Robby Anderson

He'll get a lot of experience facing these guys that's fa sho.

8 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

Vikes - Adam Thielen x 2

Wash-  Paul Richardson

Bills- ?

Lions- Golden Tate x 2

SF – Trent Taylor

Rams- Brandon Cooks

Pats – Edelman

Phins - Danny Amendola

Seahawks – Tyler Lockett

Cards - Christian Kirk

Jets – Robby Anderson

He only played 16% of his snaps out of the slot last year. 

It'll be Enunwa if he's healthy or Kearse (if he's not). 

Here are my thoughts

Jaire Alexander (CB-Louisville) - not Ward, but his doppelgänger, might be just as good. He seems to have a lot of flare, but then so do a lot of great players, and so did Randall who we traded away, despite descent production and athletic ability. Anyways, hoping he and King make a dynamic duo for years to come.

Josh Jackson - obviously he was a play making machine in college, but that doesn't always translate to the NFL. All the top corners I can think of have had quite good speed except for Richard Sherman, but even he had a 4.56 40 yard time (which is identical I think, but he's 3 inches shorter) So, hoping Josh Jackson plays more like Sherman, but he could be a one year wonder. We'll see.

Oren Burks - love his speed and potential, but I don't hear a lot of stats to back up that athletic ability. Yes, I know he switched positions a lot. I was actually hoping they'd play Josh Jones at LB more, I feel like he made a lot of plays from that position. But I guess after letting Burnett go, they need him to be a typical safety. I think Oren will be a good cover guy. A good blitzing guy. I was hoping they would find a great edge rusher and let Matthews play more in the middle, but I guess that aint gonna happen.

J'Mon Moore - I like his measurables, but that's all I know. His 40 time sucked at the combine, but he said he lined up at the wrong spot. If he lined up wrong for the 40 yard dash, how can we expect him to line up at the right spot in the game. Rodgers is going to chew him up and spit him out.

Cole Madison - like this pick. Hope he becomes the next Sitton or better yet TJ Lang.

JK Scott - looks like a great punter that can kick off and hold, but Vogel set the single-season franchise record for net punting average with 41.6 yards per punt and was selected to be an pro bowl alternate. This feels like a luxury pick in round 5 that we could have used else where.

Marquez Valdes-Scantling - yet another tall receiver to go with the other two we drafted and Clark and Davis and Yancey and Allison...

Equanimeous St. Brown  - yet another tall receiver to go with the other two we picked and clark and Davis and Yancey...

James Looney - ok

Hunter Bradley - no offense, but drafting a long snapper is not my favorite move and drafting one with a medical history seems even stupider, unless he is the Power Ranger, then I'm down with it.

Kendall Donnerson - I've been waiting for a kick *** edge rusher for several years now. Hope this guy turns out to be the Donald Driver of edge rushers.

You know what. After putting in all this work into this and still not answering the question first posted, I'm gonna make this it's own thread.

Archived