2019 Draft Talk (Draft Order in OP)

TecmoSuperJoe

1 hour ago, rudyZ said:

Who's that Zuniga, you're talking about. Daphne Zuniga, who played the princess in Spaceballs?! Can't pass rush. Get your head in the game, bro!

This is such a great call back. And I'm hopeful (and I'm thinking probably correct), that you just happened to know that like I do. Makes me feel like less of a weirdo (but more canadian, interestingly enough). 

14 hours ago, Forge said:

This is such a great call back. And I'm hopeful (and I'm thinking probably correct), that you just happened to know that like I do. Makes me feel like less of a weirdo (but more canadian, interestingly enough). 

Of course I knew that! I know my classics. Best Bill Pullman movie ever. And do I need to mention John Candy to any self-respecting niner fan?

He's a mog. Half man, half dog. He's his own best friend. 

4 hours ago, SoCalNiner said:

Probably because they play us lol

Yeah, I"m assuming that they win that game based on the dvoa. The Giants offense from a dvoa standpoint isn't all that bad - they are only about 4% less efficient than average, while we are creeping up on 20% (what's weird is how bad we are considered in rushing dvoa. At -14%, we are ranked 22nd in the nfl. I honestly wouldn't have expected that. From an efficiency / dvoa standpoint, our passing game is actually better. 

So Bosa is going to be a Raider now. What pass rusher do you guys like after him? 

I need to watch more tape but Sweat and Polite are pretty much 2a. and 2b for me. Brian Burns and Josh Allen are also some really intriguing names.

There's also the possibility we go after Greedy Williams or DeAndre Baker and then take the best EDGE guy at the top of round two but I'd prefer to go after a pass-rusher first.

16 minutes ago, Geek said:

So Bosa is going to be a Raider now. What pass rusher do you guys like after him? 

I need to watch more tape but Sweat and Polite are pretty much 2a. and 2b for me. Brian Burns and Josh Allen are also some really intriguing names.

There's also the possibility we go after Greedy Williams or DeAndre Baker and then take the best EDGE guy at the top of round two but I'd prefer to go after a pass-rusher first.

if we do in fact miss out on Bosa, and Depending on what happens with Staley, I’d strongly consider Jonah Williams. He could be special as a LT.

Wouldn’t hate Greedy though. 

But all of this is only acceptable if we move back up into the first to draft an edge. Otherwise we trade back, grab Ferrell, Polite Or Sweat. Brian Burns May end up being a great trade up option in ten 20’s too. 

Sucks to miss out on Bosa but he isn’t the end all. Also wouldn’t put it past the raiders to go after Oliver or Jonah Willians instead 

2 hours ago, Geek said:

I can't discount Josh Allen. I have no idea who we would utilize him (I don't think he's a traditional pass rushing end), but damn, it's hard to ignore the havoc that dude wreaks. He's just out of his mind rushing the passer right now.

We mostly know how I feel about sweat - he checks almost all of the boxes for me, and at 9 sacks so far this season, and 11.5 tackles for loss, he's having another good season and ticks just slightly below Allen in both. I don't love the way that he can get taken out of games, but I like the fact that he had a huge game against lsu which is great because that's one of the big things i've been waiting on him to do (big games against big opponents). He's got the bend, he's got the production, he's got the effort. He's not an A+ in any one area, but he's really pretty good across the board. 

My biggest concern with polite is whether or not he's much better off as a 3-4 OLB. I think 240 on the line, even as a leo, may be a bit tough. And when he played at 260, he didn't flash like this0 last year. So is he able to build mass and keep this up? I don't know. That's a concern for me. 

Greedy is the only other non pass rusher that I'm considering in this scenario on defense. On offense, I don't think that there is anyone I absolutely love enough to bypass an edge rusher, but I could get the appeal of Williams, as John said. 

41 minutes ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

Thompson is an absolute stud and certainly a great fit for this defense, but man if we pass up on a edge rusher again............................SMH, though if they want Thompson then they should trade down a bit to get him. Get enough ammo to trade back up in the first round to draft an edge rusher. I'd be good with that. 

5 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Thompson is an absolute stud and certainly a great fit for this defense, but man if we pass up on a edge rusher again............................SMH, though if they want Thompson then they should trade down a bit to get him. Get enough ammo to trade back up in the first round to draft an edge rusher. I'd be good with that. 

If we’re missing out on Bosa and not trading back, I’d heavily lean on Jonah Willims

39 minutes ago, John232 said:

If we’re missing out on Bosa and not trading back, I’d heavily lean on Jonah Willims

Torn on that. Obviously, Williams is a tremendous talent. But if you're fishing for the playoffs next year, it's hard to take a guy that's likely going to sit a year when the team itself has such glaring needs. Staley isn't going anywhere next year, and at 34 now, it's not impossible that he doesn't go anywhere for a couple of years (Andrew Whitworth is 36 and still chugging along as one of the better pass protecting tackles in the NFL). 

I suppose I'm more amenable to this if Staley were traded for say like a decent second round pick or something which could allow us to trade back into the first and grab the rusher we want, but yeah, still a hard thought to process in a draft so stacked at edge rusher which is such a glaring need. 

Obviously a bpa v need conversation, and given how glaring the need is for the outside rusher, it's really hard to admit that you just go bpa, which Williams could easily be. I have no idea how to approach that. 

Maybe if we signed someone in free agency on the edge and the need wasn't that dire, I'd be on board with that as well. But right now, I just can't do it. Plus, I won't lie, I do really like some of the tackle prospects who will be available in rounds 2-4 to groom. 

Interesting note, I have no idea how, but Walter has Williams going in the second round O.o

Archived