The 2019 Buffalo Defense

The BILLievers

Am I the only one who thinks this defense can be one of the best in the entire NFL next season ???

Our secondary was top 5 last year and we drastically improved our front 7.

DL : Jerry Hughes, Trent Murphy, Star Loutieli, Kyle Williams, Harrison Phillips

LBs : Tremaine Edmunds, Matt Miliano

CBs : TreDavious White, Vontae Davis, Taron Johnson

S : Jordan Poyer, Micah Hyde

The addition of Loutieli, Murphy, Edmunds and Phillips to the Bills front 7 is yugggge. Plus im in the camp that thinks Vontae Davis is going to kill it this year and prove he's still a very good starting CB in the NFL.

Going into the season, where do you think the Bills D will rank this season?

I'm still skeptical on our pass rush but I do feel we'll be much better stopping the run. Our opportunistic secondary masked our weaknesses but if our secondary even comes close to the same quality as last season we'll be very good.

My concern with the defense is that McDermott isnt aggressive at all with pass rush we need him to blitz more. Edmunds has alot to learn his physical traits are unreal but his mental football IQ on reading the offense is still raw. He has the ability to bust through the gaps but at times he misreads it and has been a liability. He can move sideline to sideline eating up space quickly and I think he will be the punisher and answer to Gronk. If he turns out to be ready to go day 1 and Vontae Davis is 100% i am confident in this defense. 

I do not see it, all great defenses start and end with great pass rushers, without that, your defense is always suspect. DB's can only cover a WR for so long before they achieve separation and without a great pass rush, a QB simply has more time for his receivers to get open and no amount of good DB play can overcome that fact. Our defense looks to be solid, but lacks that one great pass rusher who might make it great. 

4 hours ago, soflbillsfan said:

My concern with the defense is that McDermott isnt aggressive at all with pass rush we need him to blitz more. Edmunds has alot to learn his physical traits are unreal but his mental football IQ on reading the offense is still raw. He has the ability to bust through the gaps but at times he misreads it and has been a liability. He can move sideline to sideline eating up space quickly and I think he will be the punisher and answer to Gronk. If he turns out to be ready to go day 1 and Vontae Davis is 100% i am confident in this defense. 

Not too often does a HC or DC change their spots unless a new weapons appears before them, like a great pass rusher, until then it is just more of the same.

9 hours ago, The BILLievers said:

Am I the only one who thinks this defense can be one of the best in the entire NFL next season ???

Our secondary was top 5 last year and we drastically improved our front 7.

DL : Jerry Hughes, Trent Murphy, Star Loutieli, Kyle Williams, Harrison Phillips

LBs : Tremaine Edmunds, Matt Miliano

CBs : TreDavious White, Vontae Davis, Taron Johnson

S : Jordan Poyer, Micah Hyde

The addition of Loutieli, Murphy, Edmunds and Phillips to the Bills front 7 is yugggge. Plus im in the camp that thinks Vontae Davis is going to kill it this year and prove he's still a very good starting CB in the NFL.

Going into the season, where do you think the Bills D will rank this season?

Don't forget Lorenzo Alexander. And a guy who I think is going to have a breakout year as our Nickle... Philip Gaines... I see him as similar to the Poyer signing last year. Not that good but breaks out in our scheme.

I actually think our D will be improved, but won't end up in the Top 5 of D's. I believe our DL rotation is better. I also think we got a good MLB in Edmunds, but think Alexander's days are behind him and Millano is someone I would want to run at. I also doubt our secondary has the kind of start to the season that we saw last year. So, I think we will be a more balanced D with some sneaky hints of a pass rush from the inside unless Murphy brings it. The rest of our DE's don't give me much hope at doing much more than containing the run. There's value in that, but as Iamcanadian said, you really do need that pass rush to keep today's offenses in check.

Not too optimistic about him but don't forget about Shaq Lawson. He has a lot to prove and I think he knows that. I thought he showed some promise last year but obviously has a ways to go.

Love our secondary. Like that we added depth in Bush and Neal. Gaines and Johnson should be a interesting battle for the nickel.

Lorenzo really came into his own at the end of last season and especially in that playoff game. Will be interesting to see how he performs this season. Edmunds and Milano could be special together but objectively I also see two young guys who will make their share of mistakes.

Star, Adolphus, Kyle and Harrison should be a very formidable combo in the middle. I am scared of our outside on the DL as I think Hughes is Overrated and certainly past his prime. I believe in Lawson  but more as a run defender. Murphy, Yarborough etc are going to be fun to follow during the summer but far from any reason for me to believe they will help make our Defense elite or anything.

In the end, I think I we have an opportunistic defense who can play sound defense and will make teams earn it but I think they'll finished ranked 15-10 overall.

19 hours ago, Trentwannabe said:

Love our secondary. Like that we added depth in Bush and Neal. Gaines and Johnson should be a interesting battle for the nickel.

Lorenzo really came into his own at the end of last season and especially in that playoff game. Will be interesting to see how he performs this season. Edmunds and Milano could be special together but objectively I also see two young guys who will make their share of mistakes.

Star, Adolphus, Kyle and Harrison should be a very formidable combo in the middle. I am scared of our outside on the DL as I think Hughes is Overrated and certainly past his prime. I believe in Lawson  but more as a run defender. Murphy, Yarborough etc are going to be fun to follow during the summer but far from any reason for me to believe they will help make our Defense elite or anything.

In the end, I think I we have an opportunistic defense who can play sound defense and will make teams earn it but I think they'll finished ranked 15-10 overall.

Hughes did his job last year as he played the least amount of snaps since coming to buffalo and only shy of a few tackles from his best year. McDermott had him dropping in the flats and he led the team in completion % for that area, the other side was a disaster. McDermott isnt like Schwartz where he had them constantly rushing the qb and that is why his sack total was low. BuffaloRumblings breaks down the pass rushers and Hughes had a solid season, but everyone judges them on sacks and its not his fault as he was doing what McDermotts system is telling him. Also Carolina rushed/blitzed the passer 40% more in 2017 with Wilks as DC compared to McDermott in 2016. McDermott relies more on the LBs and DBs then he does the frontline compared to Wilks relying on DL then LBs and DBs. Im more worried about Shaq Lawson as that guy is injury prone and has yet to live up to his draft position.

4 hours ago, soflbillsfan said:

Hughes did his job last year as he played the least amount of snaps since coming to buffalo and only shy of a few tackles from his best year. McDermott had him dropping in the flats and he led the team in completion % for that area, the other side was a disaster. McDermott isnt like Schwartz where he had them constantly rushing the qb and that is why his sack total was low. BuffaloRumblings breaks down the pass rushers and Hughes had a solid season, but everyone judges them on sacks and its not his fault as he was doing what McDermotts system is telling him. Also Carolina rushed/blitzed the passer 40% more in 2017 with Wilks as DC compared to McDermott in 2016. McDermott relies more on the LBs and DBs then he does the frontline compared to Wilks relying on DL then LBs and DBs. Im more worried about Shaq Lawson as that guy is injury prone and has yet to live up to his draft position.

He may have been doing what was asked but its undeniable he doesn't have the same speed off the edge and far too often when asked to rush the passer, he got stood up.

• 2 weeks later...

I love our additions to the D!!   I think the key like most of you posted is the pass rush but we upgraded there too.  Murphy should help in that area plus if Lawson is healthy he would help with the pass rush too.  I'm not saying Hughes is past his prime but he needs to show some promise in training camp or I could see him getting cut if Lawson is healthy.  I'm rooting for the Hughes who had big time sacks and I'm hoping they let him pass rush more than dropping back into coverage.  All in all I think we do take steps to become an elite D.  Let me just say this if we miss the playoffs it won't be because our D didn't preform.  Let's go Bills!!

1 hour ago, Buffalo Fan said:

I love our additions to the D!!   I think the key like most of you posted is the pass rush but we upgraded there too.  Murphy should help in that area plus if Lawson is healthy he would help with the pass rush too.  I'm not saying Hughes is past his prime but he needs to show some promise in training camp or I could see him getting cut if Lawson is healthy.  I'm rooting for the Hughes who had big time sacks and I'm hoping they let him pass rush more than dropping back into coverage.  All in all I think we do take steps to become an elite D.  Let me just say this if we miss the playoffs it won't be because our D didn't preform.  Let's go Bills!!

Financially it doesnt make sense for hughes to be cut now. I see him being a cap casualty next year when they can clear 9 million at that time. Cutting him now would only clear 2-3 mil and may leave a hole. If one guy like Murphy or Lawson go down with injury which likely can happen based on their history then they would need to bring someone in for that price which will likely be not as good as hughes. It is a make it or break year for Hughes based on next years cap but I think he will be still on the team this year unless they can get a trade partner.

Archived