BDL Discussion Thread *OWNERS MEETING STARTS 1/31/18*

Jlash

I'm curious to see Orlando moves in the offseason. With RFA bids on Johnson and Marpet and the 5th year extensions of Lewan and Evans, they should have around 5k of cap. Even with a couple of 3downs, they will have a hard cap situation.

28 minutes ago, TedLavie said:

I'm curious to see Orlando moves in the offseason. With RFA bids on Johnson and Marpet and the 5th year extensions of Lewan and Evans, they should have around 5k of cap. Even with a couple of 3downs, they will have a hard cap situation.

If we want to act like guys won't fall in love with Derwin James, Saquan Barkley, Minkah Fitzpatrick, Sam Darnold, Nick Chubb, etc.... then sure it's hard to imagine how this will play out.

32 minutes ago, TedLavie said:

With 14 draft picks on the docket, 10-15k in first rounders alone.

15 minutes ago, TedLavie said:

5th year extension are at 100% of the IRL 5th year right? @Jlash you might want to had that to the first post, it's a contract management deal that I forgot to include

Yes, if you wait until their contracts expire. If you add it onto the last year of their deal like I did with Beckham it's the two salaries combined I believe. You can probably find it in the contract negotiations thread. 

So next year if Anthony Barr is working off his 5th year option and I pick it up, I'm on the hook for like 12k or whatever his number is. But if I had done it this season, I'd average it out with what I was already paying him, so it would be a lot still, but less than 12K/year.

23 minutes ago, Jlash said:

Yes, if you wait until their contracts expire. If you add it onto the last year of their deal like I did with Beckham it's the two salaries combined I believe. You can probably find it in the contract negotiations thread. 

So next year if Anthony Barr is working off his 5th year option and I pick it up, I'm on the hook for like 12k or whatever his number is. But if I had done it this season, I'd average it out with what I was already paying him, so it would be a lot still, but less than 12K/year.

Right thanks.

Can I use a 3up on a 5th year extension or do I have to use the 5th year in this case?

Just now, TedLavie said:

Right thanks.

Can I use a 3up on a 5th year extension or do I have to use the 5th year in this case?

Yea I think it's strictly a 5th year extension. The only discount comes if you exercise it the previous year like I did with Beckham.

If you do it now, for someone next year, it doesn't count as a 3 up, but won't cost as much as it would cost you next year either. Am I making sense? I feel like this is hard to explain.

Who are you talking about?

Just now, Jlash said:

Yea I think it's strictly a 5th year extension. The only discount comes if you exercise it the previous year like I did with Beckham.

If you do it now, for someone next year, it doesn't count as a 3 up, but won't cost as much as it would cost you next year either. Am I making sense? I feel like this is hard to explain.

Who are you talking about?

Shazier. Basically his 5th costs $8200 but since I will only use 1 3up if any, I wondered if I could use a 3UP to recude that $8200 price to a $7000ish one year deal (assuming of course he doesn't sign a new deal this offseason)

33 minutes ago, Jlash said:

Yeah I was hoping to lock him up this year at around $7,500/yr if our trade had gone through.

Also the 5th year average is the 5th year contract pus higher of last year BDL or NFL Average.

Edited by SirA1

Way I always saw it:

100% Extension (5th year option) - There's two ways of doing this, for both we'll assume it was a player drafted IRL in the 1st round (thus has a 5th year option) but they were drafted in the BDL second or after.

Example:

Odell Beckham is on a BDL contract of 2000/1 entering his 4th year in the league. The option on his IRL contract is worth $12,000. It was picked up by the Giants IRL.

1. You can enforce the option this year since it has been picked up IRL. When you enforce it, you add the current year contract to the next, and divide it by the number of years (2). So 2000/1 then becomes (2000+12000)/2 = $7000/2. This is the new contract and he is locked for the current year.

2. You can enforce the option next year once this years contract runs out. You can only enforce it at 100%. Thus he will be locked for next year on a contract of $12000/1.

Concerning the use of 3 UPs, I'm certain they were limited only to contract extension/contracts after a rookie contract IRL (so second contract). So any player current only a rookie deal or within their first 4 years in the league is not eligible for a 3up.