BDL Discussion Thread *OWNERS MEETING STARTS 1/31/18*

Jlash

Which brings me to a more generalized question: How does everyone evaluate players in the matchups? Are folks going with a "how are you doing this season?" approach, or a "How'd you look last week?" Are some using the last month (4 games) as the cutoff? Just curious how everyone else is viewing it.

7 minutes ago, RuskieTitan said:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-best-pass-blocking-offensive-linemen-through-week-7

Granted it's a few weeks back, but he hadn't cracked the top 5 back then. Picking and choosing a subjective time frame for the last X number of weeks seems to be more in line with fitting your narrative than it does on how we should view him as a player.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-nfl-2017-pff-mid-season-all-pro-team

DeCastro, Martin, Bitonio all getting major props for pass blocking.

Is it? It's about how he is playing now not how he was playing weeks ago. I was quoting PFF. You can focus on how players played weeks ago if that's what you are into. I'll focus on current performances. 

4 minutes ago, Counselor said:

Funchess wasn't studding weeks ago should I ignore that he is studding out now? Get out of here and go back to amateur hour. 

How much do you punish one week's performance if a player looks awful, or on the flip side, a complete scrub having a career game?

4 minutes ago, RuskieTitan said:

How much do you punish one week's performance if a player looks awful, or on the flip side, a complete scrub having a career game?

Career weeks buddy boy. I'm assuming you are calling Brown a scrub? He isn't a scrub. 

Edited by Counselor

I focus mainly on game plans. If your game plan is trash you get no love from me. Unless you clearly have a way more dominant team and the opponent had a just okay gameplan. I reward genius. If I haven't awarded you a vote yet it's because you aren't worthy. 

1 minute ago, Counselor said:

I focus mainly on game plans. If your game plan is trash you get no love from me. Unless you clearly have a way more dominant team and the opponent had a just okay gameplan. I reward genius. If I haven't awarded you a vote yet it's because you aren't worthy. 

So an amazing gameplan with a roster full of spot role players would get your vote over an entire All-Pro roster with a poor gameplan?

Interesting.

I haven't tracked whether you awarded me a vote or not because I don't care whether you did or not. I'm just genuinely curious to get more of a feel for the league in terms of how different folks make their evaluations, since I've only been here for two weeks and that's all the time that I've followed so far.

16 minutes ago, RuskieTitan said:

I generally go by how they've been performing during the season a whole. If they're on a hot streak and the owner takes advantage of that in the gameplan I'll weigh that too. Some people don't. "QB 'X' had a bad week IRL, can't see them pulling out this win".  

1 hour ago, RuskieTitan said:

So an amazing gameplan with a roster full of spot role players would get your vote over an entire All-Pro roster with a poor gameplan?

Interesting.

I haven't tracked whether you awarded me a vote or not because I don't care whether you did or not. I'm just genuinely curious to get more of a feel for the league in terms of how different folks make their evaluations, since I've only been here for two weeks and that's all the time that I've followed so far.

Depends who the players are. If you didn't put in effort and you just think your all pro roster is going to win without describing anything then your team isn't well coached. Any Given Sunday. And I wasn't taking about you I was talking about how I award votes to any and everyone. 

Edited by Counselor

3 hours ago, RuskieTitan said:

Which brings me to a more generalized question: How does everyone evaluate players in the matchups? Are folks going with a "how are you doing this season?" approach, or a "How'd you look last week?" Are some using the last month (4 games) as the cutoff? Just curious how everyone else is viewing it.

I'm sure it's some kind of blend of that for everyone. The ultimate question, obviously, is "how would these players play if this game were to actually be played?" To figure that out I first look at their performance during the current week and give a weight to it based on how well that player has been playing. Then, after I have an idea of how good/bad I'm going to rate a player for each week, I read through the gameplans and make adjustments.

9 minutes ago, WFLukic said:

It matters for which season we consider it though, because if it's still the prior year then all 3 have been used but if we've restarted the year for 3Downs then it would be fine now and I just won't have it in the offseason. 

3 downs reset at the start of free agency so it'd be for this coming offseason.