2019 Draft Talk

swede700

Sorry, I don’t really see that as a strong block. More of a hug. In any case, Fant is a guy who basically gets in the way as a blocker. While his biggest strength is going to be down field as a receiver. And from the way I took Pariani’s comments, they are going to be looking for the tight ends to be more than that when it comes to blocking. 

The Kubiak/Shanahan system, which I assume is what Stefanski is will be trying to emulate, has had some very successful tight ends, but they are all what I would call your “traditional” type of tight end. 

When I watch Fant, I see the hybrid, flex type tight end. Who is more of a big wide receiver, than inline player. 

10 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Sorry, I don’t really see that as a strong block. More of a hug. In any case, Fant is a guy who basically gets in the way as a blocker. While his biggest strength is going to be down field as a receiver. And from the way I took Pariani’s comments, they are going to be looking for the tight ends to be more than that when it comes to blocking. 

In fact, after reading those comments I think it’s even more reasonable to see Rudolph cut than I did before. 

I agree Fant to me is not a complete TE, he is just a streaker who is a great athlete with his speed down field.  Would not mind him but only if he was a 2nd rounder for the Vikings and doubt he drops that far.  To me these are the most complete TEs in the up coming draft.  I would love CJ Conrad, Sweeney or Oliver in the middle rounds.  And with how bad the OL is generally, yeah we need a very solid blocking TE.

TJ Hockenson Iowa RS SOPH
CJ Conrad Kentucky
Drew Sample Washington RS
Tommy Sweeney Boston College RS
Josh Oliver San Jose State
Alize Mack Notre Dame
Trevon Wesco West Virginia RS

In the later rounds I would not mind a guy like Andrew Beck or Zander Neuville as a 7th rounder or possible UDFA pickup.  Same with Hale Henteges, not much of a pass catcher but can be a nasty and effective blocker who goes all out.  George Aston Pitt FB I would not mind later rounds also, sure Ham gives a little versatility in the passing game and running but as a blocker I think they could do better and Aston is a very physical and aggressive blocker who is quite versatile and athletic but injuries are an issues with him also.  

Shannon Sharpe was far from a “prototypical” in line Tight end,  Chris Cooley was far from your prototypical tight end, Owen Daniels was far from your prototypical tight end. So, I’m not really sure what you’re getting at considering those are three of the most productive tight ends in Kubiak/Shanahan history between the Broncos, Texans, and Redskins. All of them more receiver than blocker.

I disagree with the “he just gets in the way” as a blocker sentiment, but everyone sees their own thing when scouting. Being at Iowa he’s also got plenty of experience as an in-line player both as a Y and stacked J. There’s nothing that I’ve seen that indicates an inability to block in line. Strength, athleticism, and want to aren’t areasof concern. To me, it’s entirely technical.

It’s a zone blocking scheme. Your tight end is going to be doubling, down blocking (if you go pin and pull, which I doubt), arcing to the second level, slicing across to cover the backside.... if we are truly going to the Gibbs Wide Zone type of blocking, Fant is more than adequate for that style of play. It’s not as if he’s going to be asked to be a point of attack blocker and have the play hinge on his ability to make the block. His athleticism is going to be the biggest asset in terms of zone blocking. 

Hey guys im gonna do a mock and nobody knows their team better than their fans own fans who watch all the games and oay attention to all the players, off season news, needs, etc. Can you guys shoot me a list of the Top 5 draft prospects you would want with your 1st and 2nd Round picks? Or at least 1st Round. Thank you!

4 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Hey guys im gonna do a mock and nobody knows their team better than their fans own fans who watch all the games and oay attention to all the players, off season news, needs, etc. Can you guys shoot me a list of the Top 5 draft prospects you would want with your 1st and 2nd Round picks? Or at least 1st Round. Thank you!

We've got a thread dedicated to our Vikings big board, I'd start there if I were you!

With the 81st pick, in the BDP Draft, the Minnesota Vikings select...

Image result for dru samia

Dru Samia | G | Oklahoma

Well, I was at the front end of the runs on players in the first and second rounds, but now I end up at the tail end of the run on interior lineman.  I've got a higher grade on Samia than some of the iOL who went previously, and he's the last iOL player that I have in the "potential to help this year" tier.  Samia is an incredibly athletic guard prospect that we expect to excel in the new Stefanski/Kubiak blocking scheme. We dipped into the Oklahoma pool earlier in the draft to select Cody Ford, and, right now, those two project to be the possible starting guards when we trot out our team in September.  Along with his athletic ability, like his teammate Ford, he brings the nasty to the position that we feel we've been missing.  Through three rounds, our offensive line has gotten more athletic, nastier, and most importantly, better. The potential of a starting lineup that includes Riley Reiff (LT), Cody Ford (LG), Pat Elflein (C), Dru Samia (RG), and Brian O'Neill (RT) far outweighs anything that we could have trotted out last year.

If you haven't already, check out The Draft Network's new mock draft feature.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/mock-draft-machine

It doesn't have trades like first-pick does but it felt much more realistic. I did one and landed...

1.18 Chris Lindstrom

2.50 Dalton Risner

3.81 Jaylon Ferguson

4.117 Dawson Knox

6.183 Khalil Hodge

Not sure if they're planning on adding compensatory picks now that they've been released.

3 minutes ago, swede700 said:

That's weird...I clicked on the link and it still says it's coming soon.  There's also nothing about it on the site.  I was anticipating it for a week or 2 to see how it compared to first-pick.  

Weird, are you seeing the new web page layout for their site?

3 minutes ago, swede700 said:

That's weird...I clicked on the link and it still says it's coming soon.  There's also nothing about it on the site.  I was anticipating it for a week or 2 to see how it compared to first-pick.  

It's up and running for me

Just did another one with their rankings instead of the predicted ones.

1. TJ Hockenson [TE] Iowa
2. Dru Samia [G] Oklahoma
3. Jerry Tillery [DT] Notre Dame
4. Andre Dillard [T] Washington State
6. Terrill Hanks [LB] New Mexico State

Archived