2019 Draft Talk

swede700

So if we were able to sign Roger Saffold to a contract for about $12 million dollars a year for 3-4 years, then in the draft we trade our first and second rounders to move up to 10 and get the 2nd or 3rd best OL (assuming 1-2 go top ten). 

Barr and Richardson walk and we don't sign any notable free agents outside of Saffold. Are we happy with that off-season?

1 hour ago, vikestyle said:

So if we were able to sign Roger Saffold to a contract for about $12 million dollars a year for 3-4 years, then in the draft we trade our first and second rounders to move up to 10 and get the 2nd or 3rd best OL (assuming 1-2 go top ten). 

Barr and Richardson walk and we don't sign any notable free agents outside of Saffold. Are we happy with that off-season?

Saffold is considered as an above average guard...which, of course, is light years better than what we have presently.  My wonderment is will the Rams let him walk?  Do they need to reduce their cap?

1 hour ago, vikestyle said:

I'm not sure investing that heavily in the OL while losing two good starters on defense is an ideal strategy. The defense needs to be a top 5 unit for a Cousins led offense to be in playoff contention, I don't think improving the OL will drastically change the kind of QB he is. 

If we're signing a Saffold level player in FA, I'd prefer to get the best interior pass rusher at 18 or in the top 15 if we trade up.

Id follow up the DT selection in round one with a G in round two/three. So the line would be: Reiff, Saffold, Elflein, Rookie, O'Neill.

Wilson or Gedeon would have to take over as a full time starter.

34 minutes ago, Virginia Viking said:

Saffold is considered as an above average guard...which, of course, is light years better than what we have presently.  My wonderment is will the Rams let him walk?  Do they need to reduce their cap?

They are about like us. Very tight on cap, even with a cheaper young QB. 

For me, like I said before. 

I can see us using future assets to trade up from #18.

I can see us trading future assets to trade back into the first round for 2 pick.

If at 18 we don’t have a guy that we value there, trade down, it doesn’t even have to be out of the first. And grab the guy you want. 

This draft I think will be interesting, and to be honest I have a feeling there will be a lot of people mad of here if we don’t take a lineman in the first.

In no way do you force yourself to draft for position.

4 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

For me, like I said before. 

I can see us using future assets to trade up from #18.

I can see us trading future assets to trade back into the first round for 2 pick.

If at 18 we don’t have a guy that we value there, trade down, it doesn’t even have to be out of the first. And grab the guy you want. 

This draft I think will be interesting, and to be honest I have a feeling there will be a lot of people mad of here if we don’t take a lineman in the first.

In no way do you force yourself to draft for position.

Trading future assets make sense if Zimmer/Spielman feel they won't be back in 2020 without a deep playoff run in 2019. Otherwise, I'd rather save those future assets in case we need to draft a new QB in 2020.

2 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Otherwise, I'd rather save those future assets in case we need to draft a new QB in 2020.

Valid point and something to keep in the back of fans minds.

Like it or not, I think the Wilfs' should sign both Zimmer and Spielman to a 1 year extension so that their contracts expire along with Cousins. Can re-evaluate everything from there. 

Stating the obvious but so much is dependent upon how the draft board falls prior to 18. 

26 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Trading future assets make sense if Zimmer/Spielman feel they won't be back in 2020 without a deep playoff run in 2019. Otherwise, I'd rather save those future assets in case we need to draft a new QB in 2020.

I think it really comes down to finding as much talent as they can to help out this team, immediately. Without a ton of cap space, a way to do that is grab as much young talent as you can. 

In reality Kirk will be the factor in Spielman and Zimmers tender. I believe they know they have to find a way to put as much talent possible around him this year if they value their jobs together in Minnesota.

1 hour ago, VikeManDan said:

What are everyone's thoughts on Greg Little?

1. Seems to have the talent but perhaps not the greatest work ethic.

2. Could he play guard and then transition to tackle after Reiff leaves?

If work ethic is a question, it’s an automatic red line through a prospect’s name. 

13 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

If work ethic is a question, it’s an automatic red line through a prospect’s name. 

I doubt he'll even be available at 18. With that being said I agree with your stance. I thought I had read it somewhere but can't find it again, it very well could be a non-issue.

4 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

I'm not sure investing that heavily in the OL while losing two good starters on defense is an ideal strategy. The defense needs to be a top 5 unit for a Cousins led offense to be in playoff contention, I don't think improving the OL will drastically change the kind of QB he is. 

If we're signing a Saffold level player in FA, I'd prefer to get the best interior pass rusher at 18 or in the top 15 if we trade up.

Id follow up the DT selection in round one with a G in round two/three. So the line would be: Reiff, Saffold, Elflein, Rookie, O'Neill.

Wilson or Gedeon would have to take over as a full time starter.

100% agree. With the "line improvement no matter what it takes" crowd, I wanted to see what they thought of that notion. It seems unlikely to me that we get 2 day 1 starters in the draft, so you need to address one spot through free agency. Are we willing to get worse on defense to try to address the line?

11 minutes ago, vikestyle said:

100% agree. With the "line improvement no matter what it takes" crowd, I wanted to see what they thought of that notion. It seems unlikely to me that we get 2 day 1 starters in the draft, so you need to address one spot through free agency. Are we willing to get worse on defense to try to address the line?

In my opinion, the Vikings are much deeper on the defensive side of the ball than on the offensive side.  I don't see the urgency to address the defensive line early in the draft.  If the Vikings don't improve the offensive line, then they need the greatest defense in the history of the NFL.  Because limiting the opponent to goose eggs might be the only way the Vikings survive the Cousins era.

40 minutes ago, Virginia Viking said:

In my opinion, the Vikings are much deeper on the defensive side of the ball than on the offensive side.  I don't see the urgency to address the defensive line early in the draft.  If the Vikings don't improve the offensive line, then they need the greatest defense in the history of the NFL.  Because limiting the opponent to goose eggs might be the only way the Vikings survive the Cousins era.

I just think we need to keep a strength a strength. I'd rather have one great unit and one slightly below average than have two very mediocre units. Of course we need to improve on the OL, I just don't want to weaken the defense to do it.

39 minutes ago, Virginia Viking said:

Are we that deep along the DL though? We're kind of banking on Griffen and Joseph playing at 2017 levels, which might not be realistic at their ages. Hunter is the only starter trending up at the moment. Weatherly looks like a solid third DE. If the Vikes have to start Jaleel Johnson and Griffen and Joseph continue on their decline, the defense will be lucky to finish top 10.

If the Vikes don't have a top tier defense and Cousins regularly has to play keep up, it's not going to be a good year.

I think the DL could use an early investment at DE or DT, and I'd like to bring Richardson back for some continuity. I honestly don't mind starting Wilson or Gedeon if it means we have a strong OL and DL. 

Barr is the odd man out for me.

Archived