2019 Draft Talk

swede700

24 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

One way or another we need to use #18 for OL.

Either:

A) take the best OL at #18

B) trade up for OL using #18

C) trade number #18 for a known non-rookie OL

It's a dis-service to the quality on this team to do other wise.

No. 

To a greater extent this is basically saying... we need a replacement for Chester Taylor, let’s trade up for Toby Gerhart. It’s a disservice to the team we have built to not have a Chester Taylor replacement.  We haven’t even reached free agency yet... to know how the holes in the line are potentially filled. 

Thats the type of thinking that leads to awful drafting mistakes.  There’s one position in football worth that absolutely commitment to “do anything” to get. 

32 minutes ago, RpMc said:

No. 

To a greater extent this is basically saying... we need a replacement for Chester Taylor, let’s trade up for Toby Gerhart. It’s a disservice to the team we have built to not have a Chester Taylor replacement.  We haven’t even reached free agency yet... to know how the holes in the line are potentially filled. 

Thats the type of thinking that leads to awful drafting mistakes.  There’s one position in football worth that absolutely commitment to “do anything” to get. 

Chester Taylor was a backup to a HOF RB. The Vikes have maybe 2 legit starting OL out of 5. I completely understand the sentiment in finding a starting OL at 18 since you've got 3 potential openings. I honestly don't mind reaching as long as it's not an awful reach but at 18, I think you'd get a legit OL prospect. We saw the run last year, is it better to be the team that starts the run and pull the trigger (even if there is a value perception) or waiting a round to get the 10th or 12th OL. 

21 hours ago, ArcticNorseman said:

Just some general thoughts on guys I've watched in Bowl games, and I'm not locking in on any given O-line prospects yet.  I'll do that as the all-star games and combine conclude.  

There are a couple intriguing skill players, starting with Hakiem Butler, WR from Iowa State -- that guy's huge . . . I'm not sure he showed up in every game this year, but if he runs fast and catches at the combine, he'll go no later than Rd 2.  Another WR I don't know has declared or not is Lil Jordan Humphries from TX . . . I liked what he showed on New Year's Day.  

As for RB, James Williams from WZZU declared and he'd be a good back-up to Cook.  He's not as fast as Cook, but he catches well and runs tough.  

For interior O-line, every year, there are guys touted as "the next decade anchor."  Have to say, Quentin Nelson, Dave DeCastro, and Lamp/Feeny have put their team's O-lines on the map.  The Vikes were spoiled from the late '80s through 2011 with perennial All-Pro types at OG.  Need to get back to that.  We don't have Hutch at LG, we need someone like him, like Nelson and DeCastro.  We need an ox at RG.  Remmers just didn't get there, even though he had some good games, he's not anchoring like he needed to.  Maybe part of that was the loss of Sparano, maybe part of it was the lack of Elflein the first few games.  In any event, getting Isidora, Easton, and Collins back may be enough, but I think drafting high at O Line will yield better candidates.  

So far I like Cody Ford or Nate Herbig.   Ford could probably also play RT if they ever wanted to move O'Neill to LT

The Bengals had the 21st and 53rd picks in the 2015 draft, so similar picks to ours. They were desperate for oline help and those two picks netted them Cedric Ogbuehi and Jake Fisher. Neither are starters or look to be trending in that direction. They had to trade for Cordy Glenn and sign Bobby Hart to replace those two.

Do not draft out of desperation. That gets you Christian Ponder. If there is a lineman with a very slightly lower grade than players at other positions, then fine. If all the lineman you value as first rounders are gone, take something else or trade out.

1 hour ago, RpMc said:

No. 

Chester Taylor was a backup. It's not close to the same at all. Not even a tiny bit close. This is a super bowl team, supposedly. It isn't without at least two new starting OL. Not even close.

59 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

Chester Taylor was a backup. It's not close to the same at all. Not even a tiny bit close. This is a super bowl team, supposedly. It isn't without at least two new starting OL. Not even close.

So was the 2010 team. They made a nonsensical trade up to fill a need. That’s all I was advocating against. Being so hard line on filling a specific position that you fool yourself into thinking the only way to acquire that player is to move up. That mindset leads to draft mistakes. Taylor was also a “backup” in name only. He averaged about 10 touches per game... second on the team. Ahead of Harvin, Rice, Berrian, and Shiancoe.

That’s the statement that CM made in his first post and then backed off in the next one by saying if there’s a lineman that you want, and the value fits, move up and get them. I’m all for that. 

15 minutes ago, RpMc said:

So was the 2010 team. They made a nonsensical trade up to fill a need. That’s all I was advocating against. Being so hard line on filling a specific position that you fool yourself into thinking the only way to acquire that player is to move up. That mindset leads to draft mistakes. Taylor was also a “backup” in name only. He averaged about 10 touches per game... second on the team. Ahead of Harvin, Rice, Berrian, and Shiancoe.

That’s the statement that CM made in his first post and then backed off in the next one by saying if there’s a lineman that you want, and the value fits, move up and get them. I’m all for that. 

You can play with AP and random RB. You need five OL. They have two, maybe three. Keep passing on them, keep losing. 

6 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

You can play with AP and random RB. You need five OL. They have two, maybe three. Keep passing on them, keep losing. 

nowhere did I advocate for passing on them, and your first sentence is why I said the trade was nonsensical - the team felt that one position was so important that they locked in on it and wasted assets. 

31 minutes ago, RpMc said:

nowhere did I advocate for passing on them, and your first sentence is why I said the trade was nonsensical - the team felt that one position was so important that they locked in on it and wasted assets. 

On that we agree. I hated that trade. A lot. I'd be good if they love an OL and trade up. I'd be good if they stay put and take a guy they think is a starter. If they trade down, and lose out on a starter or two, well, good luck to the team. 

7 hours ago, RpMc said:

I didn't back off anything...

If there is a higher OL valued higher than try to trade up. If you don't want to (or can't move up), still take the best available at 18.

11 hours ago, RpMc said:

No. 

Good offensive linemen in free agency is as rare as a bigfoot sighting in Miami Beach!

Archived