2019 Draft Talk

swede700

2 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

But what about the impact in the run game. Is there a benefit there if we get a more powerful RT, hopefully someone that can still play in a ZBS?

O'Neill is young and will only get stronger. With that being said I have NO idea how he graded out as a run-blocker this year.

Prospects that could potentially be there at 18 AND I could get behind picking. In no particular order:

OL: Jawaan Taylor, Cody Ford, Dalton Risner, Greg Little

DL: Raekwon Davis, Christian Wilkins, Derrick Brown, Jeffery Simmons

LB: (if we move on from Barr): Devin White (doubt he falls)

We want QBs and skill positions to be selected A LOT after the early run on DL.

1 hour ago, vikingsrule said:

But what about the impact in the run game. Is there a benefit there if we get a more powerful RT, hopefully someone that can still play in a ZBS?

In a ZBS there is literally no difference besides foot and handwork in the run game. You still are running power runs, zone runs and the formation will bring a tight end to one side or the other. 

Its not like the days of old, full speed ahead and run behind your biggest offensive lineman.

1 minute ago, gopherwrestler said:

In a ZBS there is literally no difference besides foot and handwork in the run game. You still are running power runs, zone runs and the formation will bring a tight end to one side or the other. 

Its not like the days of old, full speed ahead and run behind your biggest offensive lineman.

I'm curious to know the breakout of run plays though. Do we run left or right more? 

1 hour ago, VikeManDan said:

Jeffery Simmons

Probably would have been a top 10 pick if it wasn’t for his assault of that woman. 

Will be interesting to see his slide. 

We’ve seen over the past couple years we have started at least entertaining the idea of looking at some of the players with off the field issues with both Zimmer and Spielman looking into them, we will see how far they are willing to go to find a player when the heat is on their back to find an immediate starter in the draft.

2 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

I'm curious to know the breakout of run plays though. Do we run left or right more? 

I guess I don’t know that information.

i think they probably try to keep that pretty close to 50/50 with all these analytics in scouting. 

Typically it depends on which side of the hash you are on and field position

42 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

Probably would have been a top 10 pick if it wasn’t for his assault of that woman. 

Will be interesting to see his slide. 

We’ve seen over the past couple years we have started at least entertaining the idea of looking at some of the players with off the field issues with both Zimmer and Spielman looking into them, we will see how far they are willing to go to find a player when the heat is on their back to find an immediate starter in the draft.

Didn't really read into the details, what I saw was just street-fight. If so, we need to make sure we do our due diligence, as we should on all players.

4 hours ago, VikeManDan said:

Prospects that could potentially be there at 18 AND I could get behind picking. In no particular order:

OL: Jawaan Taylor, Cody Ford, Dalton Risner, Greg Little

DL: Raekwon Davis, Christian Wilkins, Derrick Brown, Jeffery Simmons

LB: (if we move on from Barr): Devin White (doubt he falls)

We want QBs and skill positions to be selected A LOT after the early run on DL.

I want a QB selected by the Vikings if one worthy of the pick is there. 

5 hours ago, gopherwrestler said:

There won’t be. After Haskins I truely don’t believe there should be one around.

Jones will probably be around, but he isn’t much different to Paxton Lynch

Lynch wasn't a sure-fire top guy anyway, but wasn't one of his main downfalls lack of work ethic? So in theory, if Jones is Lynch with a work ethic he could be a solid QB since he seems to have to other necessary tools. I don't know much about him, but tough to know much about the work ethic of a potential draftee.

23 minutes ago, vikestyle said:

Lynch wasn't a sure-fire top guy anyway, but wasn't one of his main downfalls lack of work ethic? So in theory, if Jones is Lynch with a work ethic he could be a solid QB since he seems to have to other necessary tools. I don't know much about him, but tough to know much about the work ethic of a potential draftee.

No, he was drafted early for size, and the fact of stature and athleticism drove him up the boards. The work ethic thing really came aboard public after the draft. I’d say Jones is a little bit better of a QB, but i wouldn’t spend anywhere near a 1st on him.

Okay, so I'm in love with Noah Fant. I think if he's there in the 2nd, we should run to the podium with our pick. He has the ability to completely open up the passing game underneath and stretch the field if needed at the TE  position. He kind of reminds me of a Zach Ertz-lite. I would be more than okay with Hockenson, too. I just want one of my Hawkeyes. Is that too much to ask for?

3 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

so we are definitely hiring Hue. 

How would everyone feel about this?  Im undecided but part of me thinks Hue will be fine if he gets around familiar people and isn't the main man in charge.  As long as Zimmer doesn't get emotional if he's not doing his job I think I'd be okay.

Archived