2019 Draft Talk

swede700

5 minutes ago, Virginia Viking said:

Really...the only point to keeping Reiff around is because his contract  doesn't save us anything.  He is a very, very mediocre tackle...which, unfortunately, makes him the second best lineman we have.

He’s still a top 30 tackle in the NFL, which is starting quality. He’s just paid to be a Top 15 offensive tackle.

If he declares, he’d be one of my targets at 18. Would impact the pass and run game, and still leaves us 2nd and 3rd round picks to address the OL.

more likely to find impact talent with the OL in the 2nd/3rd than a TE in the 2nd/3rd

On 12/31/2018 at 11:13 AM, dll2000 said:

Im saying by time they are competent you might be out of your window which is now. Trade for them. You are already all in and coaches are in win or go home mode. 

15 hours ago, RpMc said:

If he declares, he’d be one of my targets at 18. Would impact the pass and run game, and still leaves us 2nd and 3rd round picks to address the OL.

more likely to find impact talent with the OL in the 2nd/3rd than a TE in the 2nd/3rd

Im on board with taking a TE early, but at 18? Don't know how I feel about it yet. Guess I'd have to see what OL we would be missing out on.

No doubt TE is a need.

39 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

And why are we against moving him to LT? Seems like the logical thing to do.

I wouldn't completely rule it out as an option but the reason that I am against it is owing to concerns for his development. The TJ Clemmings debacle is still fresh. Switching him from side-to-side didn't give him his best chance to succeed. The team asked too much of Clemmings too early. I don't know that he would have ever been decent if brought along differently but I would be hesitant to push O'Neill down that same path.

9 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

I wouldn't completely rule it out as an option but the reason that I am against it is owing to concerns for his development. The TJ Clemmings debacle is still fresh. Switching him from side-to-side didn't give him his best chance to succeed. The team asked too much of Clemmings too early. I don't know that he would have ever been decent if brought along differently but I would be hesitant to push O'Neill down that same path.

Agree, I also don’t believe Clemmings would of ever been above average, but we forced him inside, trained at guard, forced him to play RT, then immediately after he had to start right tackle. 

Never had a chance to developed and actually picked up worse habits than he had in college. 

42 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

I think we can all agree that O'Neill as a rookie is light years better than Clemmings ever was. I don't see why Clemmings failure is considered in regards to O'Neill's future. 

17 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

I think we can all agree that O'Neill as a rookie is light years better than Clemmings ever was. I don't see why Clemmings failure is considered in regards to O'Neill's future. 

It’s not so much that, it’s the fact of why change him? He goes against just as good pass rushers on that side as he would the left. Maybe he just truly is comfortable there and it suits him best

2 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

In today's game you need two solid tackles. If it ain't broke don't fix it, which is exactly why I'm in favor of leaving him at RT. O'Neill looks like a cornerstone piece at RT and I don't really want to mess with it.

Ideally they can find someone that needs a year on the bench to replace Reiff in 2020. Someone like an Andre Dillard out of Washington State.

If Jawaan Taylor, OT Florida, is there at 18, how do better minds think he would fit in at G in 2019 and then at LT in 2020?

2 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

Because the difference between right and left tackles in terms of the caliber of pass rushers they far is diminishing. No need to move him and make him adjust at this point of his career. 

1 minute ago, RpMc said:

Because the difference between right and left tackles in terms of the caliber of pass rushers they far is diminishing. No need to move him and make him adjust at this point of his career. 

But what about the impact in the run game. Is there a benefit there if we get a more powerful RT, hopefully someone that can still play in a ZBS?

Archived