2019 Draft Talk

swede700

37 minutes ago, RpMc said:

Not a good class for that. 

I don't understand how this statement relates to the statement you were responding to. The fact that it isn't a good class for QB doesn't change the fact that it is a need of the team. A team's needs are independent of availability of solutions. When there is a need the team absolutely should not be overlooking the need simply because it is not a good class. They should be carefully inspecting options for a diamond.

Whether it is possible to fill a need or not should not change how the needs are prioritized. Personally, I prioritize offensive line highest but QB is also a very high priority IMO and it should not be overlooked. 

3 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

I don't understand how this statement relates to the statement you were responding to. The fact that it isn't a good class for QB doesn't change the fact that it is a need of the team. A team's needs are independent of availability of solutions. When there is a need the team absolutely should not be overlooking the need simply because it is not a good class. They should be carefully inspecting options for a diamond.

Whether it is possible to fill a need or not should not change how the needs are prioritized. Personally, I prioritize offensive line highest but QB is also a very high priority IMO and it should not be overlooked. 

He was just giving his opinion that it isn't a good year to get a QB. Nowhere in his reply did he dispute that QB was a need.

9 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

I think we are all fine with looking into future QB options, but you also can’t just force yourself to draft a QB to just draft one. 

Im not drafting some QB in the first round because we say it’s a need. You reach for a QB round one you are trapped in a bad situation for a long time. 

The fact is there isn’t a QB this draft id touch outside of Haskins in the first round. 

Yes im fine with spending 2nd, 3rd, 4th round picks to find a diamond in the rough, but with first round picks, you’re looking at players you are certain to be a staple in the future, not players you aren’t sure about for the future. 

9 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

I think we are all fine with looking into future QB options, but you also can’t just force yourself to draft a QB to just draft one.

100% agree. I may have been reading too much into the reply thinking it was a (misguided) rebuttal to the quoted statement. Reading it back, it could have just been a statement about our odds of success in filling the need. The team definitely shoulndn't force anything in the draft based on prioritized needs (however they prefer to prioritize them).

4 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

100% agree. I may have been reading too much into the reply thinking it was a (misguided) rebuttal to the quoted statement. Reading it back, it could have just been a statement about our odds of success in filling the need. The team definitely shoulndn't force anything in the draft based on prioritized needs (however they prefer to prioritize them).

Absolutely. 

The way I’m looking at this draft, Speilman and Zimmer are going to be looking at this as a hotseat, you better win now. Even scouts, and the rest of the coaching staff

This year will be dedicated to finding a starter, right now, even if it comes to getting rid of future draft capital. 

Zimmer is older, and both guys are in their last year of their contracts. 

I wouldn’t be surprised to see us maybe move up to ensure us finding an immediate starter, maybe we get one at 18 and move back up to get another. 

Right now, our staff isn’t looking 3 years down the line, they are forced to look at RIGHT NOW, for the first time in their careers. 

Its been a while since we have had 2 first round picks, I actually expect to see it this year. 

34 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

IMO, the way our team is currently constructed, we have enough talent that it makes sense to put more emphasis on need than just thinking "best available player at any position."  We have a team that is very complete, with the exception of the offensive line.  For that reason, it would probably a good idea to go after offensive linemen. 

When it comes to quarterback, even though it is the most important position on the field, I don't think it would make sense to reach for QB in the first round.  We have Cousins signed for the next two years and that contract isn't going anywhere.  He has the potential to be a good player if we give him some protection.  We signed him and have a complete team around him.  Might as well roll with him for the next couple of years.  If 2019 is a repeat of 2018 (which I don't believe it will be), then it would probably make a lot more sense to look for his eventual replacement then in a draft that will supposedly have a LOT more good QB's from which to choose.  You never know, maybe next year at this time we will be sitting with a first-round bye in the playoffs and nobody will be even thinking about wanting a replacement for Cousins.  

It seems like the easiest thing to do at this point in time is to spend our early draft picks on the offensive line.  That gives us a much greater likelihood of success in the next two years than trying to plug a rookie QB in on a team with a lot of solid veterans.

Archived