2019 Draft Talk

swede700

41 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

IMO, the way our team is currently constructed, we have enough talent that it makes sense to put more emphasis on need than just thinking "best available player at any position."  We have a team that is very complete, with the exception of the offensive line.  For that reason, it would probably a good idea to go after offensive linemen. 

When it comes to quarterback, even though it is the most important position on the field, I don't think it would make sense to reach for QB in the first round.  We have Cousins signed for the next two years and that contract isn't going anywhere.  He has the potential to be a good player if we give him some protection.  We signed him and have a complete team around him.  Might as well roll with him for the next couple of years.  If 2019 is a repeat of 2018 (which I don't believe it will be), then it would probably make a lot more sense to look for his eventual replacement then in a draft that will supposedly have a LOT more good QB's from which to choose.  You never know, maybe next year at this time we will be sitting with a first-round bye in the playoffs and nobody will be even thinking about wanting a replacement for Cousins.  

It seems like the easiest thing to do at this point in time is to spend our early draft picks on the offensive line.  That gives us a much greater likelihood of success in the next two years than trying to plug a rookie QB in on a team with a lot of solid veterans.

How much can rookie OL help though? They are usually fairly mediocre in first year unless they are going to be awesome.

If you are in win now mode don't you want veteran OL?

Just now, dll2000 said:

How much can rookie OL help though? They are usually fairly mediocre in first year unless they are going to be awesome.

We don’t need them to be studs immediately. We need competent line play. Remmers was awful yesterday. 

1 minute ago, VikeManDan said:

We don’t need them to be studs immediately. We need competent line play. Remmers was awful yesterday. 

Im saying by time they are competent you might be out of your window which is now. Trade for them. You are already all in and coaches are in win or go home mode. 

Just now, dll2000 said:

Im saying by time they are competent you might be out of your window which is now. Trade for them. You are already all in and coaches are in win or go home mode. 

Teams don’t just trade good offensive lineman unless they are on the decline or have a competent starter behind them. 

Just now, dll2000 said:

Agree to disagree about the time it would take. O’Neill was pretty competent this year as a rookie. We just have to identify the right players. 

1 minute ago, dll2000 said:

Good OL are hard to find in today's NFL, so you're gonna have to overpay in a trade to get them, plus pay their salaries immediately. We need cheap guys as well. Rookie contracts are the way to do that.

8 minutes ago, vikestyle said:

Correct, but who is trading talented OL? And guards are making $12 million + now so where would we find the money to pay these guys?

You can swing it for a year. Some other guys have to go thats all.

Just now, dll2000 said:

You can swing it for a year. Some other guys have to go thats all.

Idk man. Start trading high draft capital and cutting guys to pay a guard or two is how we become a 4-12 team quickly imo. Draft guys and develop. We are paper thin at a lot of spots on this roster, I'd rather continue to build than go nuts this year and be a bottom feeder for years after. I don't wanna end up like we did after Favre.

51 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

I don't know about you but I would totally accept fairly mediocre over what the line was this season!!

45 minutes ago, vikestyle said:

Good OL are hard to find in today's NFL, so you're gonna have to overpay in a trade to get them, plus pay their salaries immediately. We need cheap guys as well. Rookie contracts are the way to do that.

Good Lord....how I hate the CAP system!!!

Archived