2019 Draft Talk

swede700

2 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

I’d say they would probably just try and role with Rhodes, Hill, Alexander, & Hughes

I'd think they'd look to trade Waynes or just keep him for another year over straight releasing him. Waynes is a good starter but Hughes and Hill have both shown a lot. I don't mind using a resource from a position of stength to get another top 50 pick to improve OL, TE or DL.

8 minutes ago, Virginia Viking said:

How many draft picks would Washington require for a trade for Brandon Scherff?

He'll be on his 5th year option next year too.  I imagine it'd be a pretty penny.  They have decent cap space already and Preston Smith is their only free agent of note that they have to sign, so there'd be no reason to give him up for anything short of a ransom.

1 hour ago, vikingsrule said:

I'd think they'd look to trade Waynes or just keep him for another year over straight releasing him. Waynes is a good starter but Hughes and Hill have both shown a lot. I don't mind using a resource from a position of stength to get another top 50 pick to improve OL, TE or DL.

I don’t think they would even trade him. I would expect to see him play all year, see if they can resign him after the season, and if not, just take in the comp pick

1 minute ago, gopherwrestler said:

I don’t think they would even trade him. I would expect to see him play all year, see if they can resign him after the season, and if not, just take in the comp pick

I think you have to look into it based on how Hill has looked alone. Who knows where Hughes will be at in his recovery.

A 2nd round pick now + $10 million cap space does a lot more for us than a Waynes + 3rd round pick in 2020 with Hill and maybe Hughes ready to fill in. I don't have a clue what Waynes trade value is so if the offer was something later than a 2nd, I probably walk away.

Hypothetically, trading Waynes gives us more cash to retain Barr and Richardson. Now you're looking at having a 1st and 2 second round picks to grab a couple of OL and a TE. That's not a bad deal.

6 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

I think you have to look into it based on how Hill has looked alone. Who knows where Hughes will be at in his recovery.

A 2nd round pick now + $10 million cap space does a lot more for us than a Waynes + 3rd round pick in 2020 with Hill and maybe Hughes ready to fill in. I don't have a clue what Waynes trade value is so if the offer was something later than a 2nd, I probably walk away.

Hypothetically, trading Waynes gives us more cash to retain Barr and Richardson. Now you're looking at having a 1st and 2 second round picks to grab a couple of OL and a TE. That's not a bad deal.

Also have to factor in just carrying CB depth. Even with how Hill has looked, Wayne’s is still farther the better CB. He’s been solid in coverage and is a factor in the run stopping game when on the field. 

Personally year two of this team I think having Rhodes/Wayne’s/Hughes/Alexander/Hill is a need. 

In theory we should still be fine retaining both Richardson and Barr. Richardson should come around the same price and the Barr contract he really isn’t going to be getting a ton more than he had this past year. Cutting Remmers basically would open up room for that, while Harris’s contact will probably be similar to Sendejos. 

I realize adding a 2nd round pick and more cap would be nice, but I’ll take a solid $10M CB over another free agent lineman in this ugly FA class and a TE in the draft. 

We have CB depth, but everyone but Hill has missed time this year due to injury and has in the past. Our defense relies on good DB play to thrive with the pass rush. 

Only way I’m trading a starting quality above average CB on a 5th year option is for a 1st. 

In my opinion you can never have too many competent CBs . Zimmer said something like this after the team drafted Hughes and signed rookie free agent Hill. It is an adage Ozzie Newsome subscribes too as well.  I wouldn't be looking to move on from Waynes any more than I would be looking to move on from Reiff (which was mentioned somewhere). I would extend what Zimmer, Newsome, and others say to include OTs. You can never have too many CBs or OTs. These are both positions that involve trying to do things while backing up. That lends itself to occasional dings like ankle twists. It is worth having competent help waiting in the background.

14 minutes ago, RpMc said:

Waynes has rounded into a really good corner. He’s always going to be an injury risk with his frame, but I would definitely want to keep him around. 

Ideally, I would too. He's a good player. But there are others I'd like to keep around too and I'd like to see a competent OL at some point. 

I also think Hill and Hughes can be good players too and would do well in Waynes spot at a fraction of the cost.

7 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Ideally, I would too. He's a good player. But there are others I'd like to keep around too and I'd like to see a competent OL at some point. 

I also think Hill and Hughes can be good players too and would do well in Waynes spot at a fraction of the cost.

Given how often our corners are nicked up, I’m not moving one unless I have to or are blown away by an offer 

12 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

I'd like to keep around too and I'd like to see a competent OL at some point. 

You would be giving up a above average starter who keeps improving for a interior lineman that you have to gamble to become at least at the level of an above average interior lineman....

youre odd say keep the CB. 

I can understand moving him for a top 25 pick, but outside of that, I’d laugh at trade offers for $10M for a talent such as Waynes at CB

Archived