2019 Draft Talk

swede700

Give me any of these guys in the 1st, has to be OL or DL all the way no question about it.  OT might be a big time chance with Jawaan Taylor especially if he works out well, he could be available, is a little reach but worth it with the crap OL we got.  Risner would be interesting at OG also.  Some guys like Bosa, Quinnen, Lawrence and Oliver I do not think we could get so I did not include them in the list.

Jonah Williams Alabama OT JR
Derrick Brown Auburn NT JR
Greg Little Ole Miss OT JR  
Christian Wilkins Clemson DT SR

Clelin Ferrell Clemson DE RS JR 
Jeffery Simmons Miss State DT JR

Jawaan Taylor Florida OT JR
Zach Allen Boston College DE SR
Rashan Gary Michigan DE JR
Brian Burns Florida State OLB JR

Dalton Risner Kansas State OG/OT SR

To me one has to do it, especially on the OL that is just flat out awful and terrible.  Take all the teams in the Playoffs currently, none have a crap OL like the Vikings have.  Every team has a good to really good OL so it is a must going forward.  Sucks because the Vikings D yeah they took a step back no doubt this year and did not win games like they did in years past.  And Cousins, well hard to tell still with that terrible OL, few could have looked good behind that group but his leadership I still question and his inability to just make the simple play instead of the deep shot down field.  

16 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

@Ozzy you would take Risner over Cody Ford?

If one was going to play them at RT only I would take Ford.  If one is going for a guard I would lean towards Risner because he has done it for much longer than Ford has.  To me Ford has not really come on to the scene till this past year as a full time starter as a RS JR.  Risner has started for a damn long time and has way more experience I feel, kid freaking started since he was a FR at center and played every year since then as the starter on the OL.  As a tackle sure Risner is not the best but could do it if asked, but I think he could be a great guard and I consider him that.  Ford I consider a RT, might be a waste to put a guy with his length at guard but sure could maybe do it also.  

Jawaan Taylor is arguably better than both, especially if one is looking for a OT more than anything else.  If one is looking for 1st round OL help Martez Ivey is another worth a look as a guard, played tackle at Florida the past few years but could be a beast guard.  Is more of a late 1st rounder though and clearly we will be picking higher than that.  The talk of Ford being this mid to high 1st round pick I do not buy that, if he comes out early could maybe see him as a 2nd rounder.  

In the later rounds I would not mind Donnell Greene, could get him at a very reasonable spot and he has good RT ability.  Trevon Tate is a big sleeper OT prospect and could be a beast guard as well for 2nd or 3rd round value.  Same for Alex Bars, arguably one of the best guards in the nation, got injured so could drop and be of good value.  Would be ok with Benzschawel but nothing ahead of late 2nd or 3rd for him, Ross Pierschbacher I like in the 2nd or 3rd round range also as with Dru Samia.  

The Vikings just have to get OL and DL help that is a fact.  Not to mention the LB group or TE group but that could wait arguably.   The depth for DT drops more arguably than the OL depth where one could find some gems.  Dre'Mont Jones I would not mind but could easily be gone by the 2nd round.  Same with Gerald Willis as well.  Anthony Rush could be a 3rd-5th round prospect and help improve that DT spot.  To me Joseph has lost it kind of, they got ran on so easily that inside DL group struggled this year as did the entire defense sadly, but sure the injuries hurt as well, had two starting DBs out most of the year much less Hughes as well and started a UDFA at corner for a ton of games.  Even when healthy that D struggled though really compared to years past.

27 minutes ago, whitehops said:

pretty sure we end up with the 18th pick in the draft.

also a weird thing: we're the only team in the league that ended up with 8 wins.

If that is the case 18th pick the list I posted earlier becomes this because most of those other guys will be gone no question.  Could easily exclude Simmons as well sadly.  So most of the DL talent might be gone potentially.  Could get Jaylon Ferguson but not sure that is a need really but would be cool, would have to really workout well though.

Jeffery Simmons Miss State DT JR
Jawaan Taylor Florida OT JR
Dalton Risner Kansas State OG/OT SR

Nate Herbig would be interesting in the 2nd round but does have some limitations, did not have quite the year I thought but is a big kid with some athletic ability for sure as a OG.

What guys fit for our #3 WR role that could potentially be around in rounds 2-4?

And what TE's are dynamic pass catchers that could be had in that range? Fant would take our first and Knox seems like a guy that will blow up the combine and end up late first/early second. Any other guys with a similar skill set?

51 minutes ago, vikestyle said:

What guys fit for our #3 WR role that could potentially be around in rounds 2-4?

And what TE's are dynamic pass catchers that could be had in that range? Fant would take our first and Knox seems like a guy that will blow up the combine and end up late first/early second. Any other guys with a similar skill set?

I do not see WR as a need and no way we take one in 2nd round and I damn sure hope not in the 3rd.  Maybe beyond that but with Treadwell, Zlystra, Beebe and Robinson not sure one needs many more and if they do it would be a FA.  Sure bring one in, maybe let go of Treadwell but WRs can be found, the OL and DL have to be 1st priority not WR as the 3rd or 2nd priority no way.

For pass catching TEs I would say these guys are the best but these four will be gone by the end of the 2nd I feel so they are out as an option really.  Would love to have Fant or the upside of Okwuegbunam but I would not take OL or DL depth and talent over it.

Albert Okwuegbunam Missouri RS SOPH
Noah Fant Iowa JR
Jace Sternberger Texas A&M JR
Caleb Wilson UCLA RS JR

These guys could be around 3rd round or later of course as a pass catching threat TE.  Knox I feel his athletic ability is a little overrated personally but will see how he times out.  On the field he leaves a lot to be desired. Josh Oliver is a better overall athlete and is physically larger and strong, he could be a great pickup in 4th round or later, he has huge upside I feel.  Dax Raymond is a nice route runner and could be a good value late.

Tommy Sweeney Boston College RS
Josh Oliver San Jose State
Dax Raymond Utah State RS JR
Dawson Knox Ole Miss RS SOPH
C'yontai Lewis Florida
Moroni Laulu-Pututau BYU
Austin Fort Wyoming
Cole Herdman Purdue

Blocking TEs but at times they can make plays with the ball, I would not mind another strong blocking TE.   Sweeney arguably might be the best combo of a physical blocker and athletic pass catcher as well.  CJ Conrad can be a beast at times as well when he wants to be.  Josh Oliver could be included in this list as well but still has some work as a blocker and is not nearly as good of a blocker as some of these guys but could become that with how strong he is.

CJ Conrad Kentucky
Drew Sample Washington RS
Hale Henteges Alabama
Tommy Sweeney Boston College RS
Alize Mack Notre Dame
Zander Neuville Wisconsin RS
Andrew Beck Texas
Foster Moreau LSU
Trevon Wesco West Virginia RS
Jerome Washington Rutgers
Ian Bunting Cal
Kendall Blanton Missouri RS*

The TE group could change a ton of these RS SOPH or JRs come out but will see what happens.  Would give a lot more pass catching options and more depth to potentially drop down into the 3rd round.

Kaden Smith Stanford RS SOPH
TJ Hockenson Iowa RS SOPH
Irv Smith Jr Alabama JR
Sean McKeon Michigan JR
Jared Pinkney Vandy JR
Isaac Nauta Georgia JR

Archived