2019 Draft Talk

swede700

21 minutes ago, vikestyle said:

I just think we need to keep a strength a strength. I'd rather have one great unit and one slightly below average than have two very mediocre units. Of course we need to improve on the OL, I just don't want to weaken the defense to do it.

I'm not sure the Vikings have the capability, with the tight CAP, to have a superior defense AND improve the offensive line.  I'm of the opinion that Griffen's situation and below expectations play from Richardson are the main problems with the Defensive Line.  I think Joseph got nicked up through the season as well.  If we can get Griffen's leadership a little more evenly keeled, resign Tom Johnson and develop one additional interior linemen, the production could return to 2017 levels.  I wouldn't resign Richardson unless it was pretty cheap.

I think the main problem with the defense was that Griffen was not the fiery leader with the always running motor that hew was prior to his situation.  If we can get another guy to take that role, maybe MacKenzie Alexander, then I think the mojo will return.

On 1/4/2019 at 8:13 PM, RpMc said:

If the TE is Hockenson (assuming he declares), I run up with his name on the card, and cackle as I run back to my seat.  He impacts the pass and run game. Then, I look to make some moves up and around the next two rounds to secure some offensive lineman or a DT.

Hockenson is #1 on my wish list, and I think he will be a stud for a very long time, but you almost have to take a guard.  Trade up for Hockenson or Fant at the end of the first if they're there to fill the need at TE.

3 hours ago, AP_allday2869 said:

Hockenson is #1 on my wish list, and I think he will be a stud for a very long time, but you almost have to take a guard.  Trade up for Hockenson or Fant at the end of the first if they're there to fill the need at TE.

I disagree with this line of thinking; unless you're staring a Quinton Nelson is the face (which is unlikely at 18), you don't HAVE to take a guard at 18. If I had a guard and Hockenson rated evenly, and both on the board at 18, I might elevate the guard, but if Hockenson is in a tier by himself on my board when the pick comes up, I take him.  Fills a long-term need with a highly valued player. Year one impact lineman, particularly interior lineman, are easier to find in the 2nd-4th rounds than impact playmakers.

4 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

The same can be said about tight ends, too. 

I disagree when it comes to the types of player than Hockenson is.  Maybe you can find one that can catch, or maybe you can find one that can block, but finding one who can do both, beyond round one (or the first couple of picks in round two), is rare.  More rare than finding a starting caliber guard.

Just now, gopherwrestler said:

And Tua... who really I believe is better than Fromm.....

oh yeah, and Herbert, who probably would have been the #1 QB drafted this year

He definitely could be. And Herbert doesn't excite me as much. He's done some good things, but seems more like a "tools" guy than the others. The others have consistently been stars against top competition at such young ages.

I’m finally back fellas. Had to take a long break off due to battling cancer, but I won B|

This is gonna be the make or break offseason for Zim/Spielman imo. I think they both feel that way too. Last year Rick was aggressive in free agency. This year I really feel like he may be aggressive in the draft, and pull off a trade up from #18 or maybe a trade back up from the 2nd & have two first round picks. Although, I could very easily see him just sitting there and taking Bpa. I think FA is gonna be very quiet for obvious reasons. But I could see some role players potentially being signed, like a vet #3 WR & OL competition. I think I was one of the few last year that wanted to invest in the DL, specifically at DT. I think this year it’s a must to take one within the first 3 rounds. Linval is a stud and should remain very good for a few more years. With his position we have seen high level play from guys in their mid-late 30s (Pat Williams, Wilfork, Hampton), and I believe JJohnson is a good backup NT. But my concern is at 3 tech. I don’t think Sheldon will be coming back, even though I wouldn’t mind it. So that leaves a glaring hole. If Sheldon is resigned I’d be completely fine with it, I don’t think he was what we all maybe expected, but he was very solid imo. Throw in a guy like Ifeadi & a penetrating DT via draft and it looks good. I’m also on board with letting Barr walk, he’s as talented as they come but he’s too inconsistent to give big money to. Eric Wilson/Gedeon & a draft pick should do fine. We see very good LBs every year slip to the 2nd & 3rd rounds, I think we will get one there and be just fine. We need to cut Remmers & Sendejo and try to restructure Reiff, Everson, Rudy & maybe Rhodes.

On offense I expect a big improvement. I think it’s gonna be Mularkey or Stefanski. But I want Minnesota to get tougher on offense this year, we need to be a lot more physical to compete with the Bears. I’d like to add a hammer at RB to go with Dalvin Cook, someone who can get that short tough yardage. Then throw in a #3 WR that can get open (Jamison Crowder?). Obviously the line needs to be improved, everyone knows that. Jonah Williams likely won’t be there, but with a bad bowl game tonight & some bad testing he could slip. Or we could trade up for him. But he’s a guy I’m really interested in. Take Williams, restructure Reiff & slide him to LG. Then take a G in the 3rd-4th and have a full on competition for RG. Otherwise there’s guys like Ford/Risner that would also be day 1 starters. It’s not gonna be fixed in one offseason, but we can sure improve it, couldn’t get much worse. Right? I’ll be doing my mock within a few weeks so we will see what I come up with. 

5 minutes ago, vikestyle said:

If he keeps this up for two more years, is Lawrence the best pro prospect ever? I know there's a long way to go, but this guy would be the number 1 pick this year if he could declare. And he doesn't turn 20 until next October.

Not with that hair!

Cut your hair, hippy!

Less Namath, more Unitas!

Archived