2019 Draft Talk

swede700

48 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

It's an offense first league. Fix the offense. Use draft capital to fix the offense. Or, imo, they won't do much next year either. Not late round picks, early, multiple, picks. 

I think it's a great to elite QB driven league. Look at the final 4. Brady, Brees, Mahomes. I don't want to include Goff in that same group yet.

I don't think investing significant resources around Cousins will do much for him. Maybe it makes us more balanced. Until Cousins is upgraded, I don't think MN will do much either. 

1 hour ago, vikingsrule said:

I think it's a great to elite QB driven league. Look at the final 4. Brady, Brees, Mahomes. I don't want to include Goff in that same group yet.

I don't think investing significant resources around Cousins will do much for him. Maybe it makes us more balanced. Until Cousins is upgraded, I don't think MN will do much either. 

So...I guess you should just change your username to vikingsmisrule? ;)

2 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

He's the QB for two more years. Either build some him, or give up. I doubt they do the latter. Like, that's the choice. 

14 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

He's the QB for two more years. Either build some him, or give up. I doubt they do the latter. Like, that's the choice. 

I don't disagree, the OL is clearly where the focus needs to be. My concern is losing focus on defense and not having the pieces in place to replace some of those older players when they drop off. 

I'll reiterate my focus of building up the trenches, on both sides of the ball. Everything else like TE, WR3, and LB will fall into place. But not replenishing talent on both Lines could be costly. 

If you don't have a great QB, you better dominate the LOS. We're not there, on both sides of the ball.

19 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

I don't disagree, the OL is clearly where the focus needs to be. My concern is losing focus on defense and not having the pieces in place to replace some of those older players when they drop off. 

I'll reiterate my focus of building up the trenches, on both sides of the ball. Everything else like TE, WR3, and LB will fall into place. But not replenishing talent on both Lines could be costly. 

If you don't have a great QB, you better dominate the LOS. We're not there, on both sides of the ball.

Completely agree with your sentiment. If you think Kirk is going to win us a super bowl and we can average 26 points per game, then fine go all in on the offense. I don't believe he's that guy. I want this team to still be successful after we get out from under Cousins' contract. If we go all in on offense and the offense still can't carry the team and we weaken the defense, them we are going to be a pretty bad team when Cousins leaves.

Devote resources to the OL, but continue to build depth on the defensive side of the ball as well. If we are starting a young QB in two years, then a great defense and good OL will help immensely. I don't want to spend a bunch of resources on auxiliary pieces on offense in the short term.

2 minutes ago, vikestyle said:

Completely agree with your sentiment. If you think Kirk is going to win us a super bowl and we can average 26 points per game, then fine go all in on the offense. I don't believe he's that guy. I want this team to still be successful after we get out from under Cousins' contract. If we go all in on offense and the offense still can't carry the team and we weaken the defense, them we are going to be a pretty bad team when Cousins leaves.

Devote resources to the OL, but continue to build depth on the defensive side of the ball as well. If we are starting a young QB in two years, then a great defense and good OL will help immensely. I don't want to spend a bunch of resources on auxiliary pieces on offense in the short term.

There are consequences for whatever the Vikings decide to do in the draft.  With few picks in the draft, a little less money to throw around on free agents, the Vikings pretty much have to hit on ALL their off season moves, including who they hire as offensive line coach.  There is very little room for error.  If they are all hits...boom...competing for a Lombardi...if they are all busts...we will be competing for the first pick in the 2020 draft...if it's a mix...well, probably no better or worse than the team was in 2018.  I know I am making "Captain Obvious" proclamations, but sometimes we fans expect a lot and we don't necessarily see what's obvious.

5 minutes ago, Virginia Viking said:

There are consequences for whatever the Vikings decide to do in the draft.  With few picks in the draft, a little less money to throw around on free agents, the Vikings pretty much have to hit on ALL their off season moves, including who they hire as offensive line coach.  There is very little room for error.  If they are all hits...boom...competing for a Lombardi...if they are all busts...we will be competing for the first pick in the 2020 draft...if it's a mix...well, probably no better or worse than the team was in 2018.  I know I am making "Captain Obvious" proclamations, but sometimes we fans expect a lot and we don't necessarily see what's obvious.

Yup. With a bad OL, needs at WR and TE, and an aging defense with limited depth, Spielman needs to nail this offseason.

12 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

The lack of production from our first pick over each of the past three drafts, whether it’s been due poor play or injury, has hurt. 

Absolutely. And I think most of us believe Hughes will be a good player, but he could be Josh Robinson for all we know.

9 minutes ago, vikestyle said:

Absolutely. And I think most of us believe Hughes will be a good player, but he could be Josh Robinson for all we know.

In his short time, he's already outproduced Josh Robinson, so that's not fair.  ;)

A more fair representation would be Cedric Griffin.  Good enough to not suck, but not as good as we would have liked him to have been.  

Archived