2019 Draft Talk

swede700

4 hours ago, gopherwrestler said:

Idk, he’s one guy I just can’t 100% get behind. He’s basically a glorified RB. 

Not saying I wouldn’t take Metcalf or Campbell, but value wise I have about 5 receivers I’d rather have come in and play that #3 role than either of them.

Wouldn't be mad if they end up with Isabella (presuming it wasn't a rd1 selection)

5 minutes ago, Dolmonite26 said:

Wouldn't be mad if they end up with Isabella (presuming it wasn't a rd1 selection)

Zylstra physically is impressive and worth keeping around and Beebe has a good deal of potential I think.  Obviously need a bigger WR and Treadwell is clearly not the answer but will be around for another year so possibly getting a WR in this years draft high is not a good idea.  Sure could go all Chris Carter, Jake Reed and Randy Moss on the thing but doubt they will do that even if DK Metcalf drops or if they get Harry, it just would not really be a smart choice with the awful OL they potentially have going.  

Later rounds sure, 2nd round I would go DL, 3rd I would go TE or LB and 4th DL or OL again.  WR maybe in the 4th would be ok or better yet 6th or 7th round.  

JJ Arcega-Whiteside in the 3rd would be great but probably not happen, or Boykin in the 3rd or 4th.  Would love Sills in the 6th but probably would not fall that far, or a guy like Jazz Ferguson or Custis but again doubt they would be in the 6th but maybe.  Felton Davis in the 6th could make sense, or Lil'Jordan Humphrey in the 7th, sure ran an awful 40 but on the field kid did impress a ton this past season I think.  Would not mind Jakobi Meyers or Riley Ridley later on in the draft either.  As a UDFA DeAndre Thompkins I would want to bring in or late 7th round with his return skills.  Tyre McCants might be of interest with his versatility and toughness.  AJ Bush as a position change I would like as a UDFA or even Xavier Ubosi in the 6th or 7th round.  So they have a ton of options just where to take them, if they do it high in the draft I think it is the wrong idea unless they are going to change the way they typically play football, not sure passing the ball all over will happen with how poorly last year went without a run game.  

I really don’t think the “size” thing is such a need. Yes, it would be handy, but some of these guys that are midranged size have some dang good route running. I’ll take that over some big guy that you can hope be a endzone threat. 

Stanley Morgan, Riley Ridley, & Deebo Samuel are all guys I would love more than some guys with height. 

8 hours ago, gopherwrestler said:

Idk, he’s one guy I just can’t 100% get behind. He’s basically a glorified RB

That’s precisely what I like about him. He’s another Harvin, and when you put a playmaker like that amongst an established duo like Diggs and Thielen, then you get a true weapon, and mismatch nightmare. 

I don’t need another traditional receiving option with Diggs, Thielen, and Rudolph. I want that “x factor” player. 

Just now, SemperFeist said:

That’s precisely what I like about him. He’s another Harvin, and when you put a playmaker like that amongst an established duo like Diggs and Thielen, then you get a true weapon, and mismatch nightmare. 

I don’t need another traditional receiving option with Diggs, Thielen, and Rudolph. I want that “x factor” player. 

I just don’t see him as an x-factor. I know many people to, but in no way do I compare him to harvin. You could get lucky with a Hill type, but I don’t see that really either.

i will say last year my thoughts did improve on him. He had such a high drop rate, but that did improve. 

While I do like him, I see more Troy Williamson, than Percy Harvin. Not to bash him with Troy Williamson, but I’m just not confident in a guy that really only catches screens and deep fades and posts. 

1 hour ago, gopherwrestler said:

I really don’t think the “size” thing is such a need. Yes, it would be handy, but some of these guys that are midranged size have some dang good route running. I’ll take that over some big guy that you can hope be a endzone threat. 

Stanley Morgan, Riley Ridley, & Deebo Samuel are all guys I would love more than some guys with height. 

I think they need size, they need a receiver who is a red zone threat who can go up and get the football.  Sure that is not always a tall guy but one who can get vertical and get the freaking football in the end zone.  Morgan, Ridley and Samuel are not those guys, maybe Samuel but he is more a solid route runner and burner than a vertical guy.  Thus JJ Arcega-Whiteside or Boykin could be great gets in the 3rd but still it is not a huge position of need in my book.  

8 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

I think they need size, they need a receiver who is a red zone threat who can go up and get the football.  Sure that is not always a tall guy but one who can get vertical and get the freaking football in the end zone.  Morgan, Ridley and Samuel are not those guys, maybe Samuel but he is more a solid route runner and burner than a vertical guy.  Thus JJ Arcega-Whiteside or Boykin could be great gets in the 3rd but still it is not a huge position of need in my book.  

Isn't Rudolph that guy for us? And I'd rather have a guy like Diggs or Thielen who can create instant separation in close quarters rather than a true "jump ball" guy anyway.

6 minutes ago, vikestyle said:

Isn't Rudolph that guy for us? And I'd rather have a guy like Diggs or Thielen who can create instant separation in close quarters rather than a true "jump ball" guy anyway.

Sure a TE can be that guy and Rudolph is now but probably will not be around for long, will see.  And versatility in the WR core helps but maybe Zylstra could be that guy, they just need a bigger red zone target at the WR spot that is a jump ball threat outside of a TE being one.  They have enough small quick guys who are good route runners I feel who can get things done, so getting another one of them does not make sense to me.  Need some variety in the room in terms of coverage and what they can do against it.  

12 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Sure a TE can be that guy and Rudolph is now but probably will not be around for long, will see.  And versatility in the WR core helps but maybe Zylstra could be that guy, they just need a bigger red zone target at the WR spot that is a jump ball threat outside of a TE being one.  They have enough small quick guys who are good route runners I feel who can get things done, so getting another one of them does not make sense to me.  Need some variety in the room in terms of coverage and what they can do against it.  

You're not wrong in your line of thinking, I just don't share the same opinion. Antonio Brown, Devante Adams, and Tyreek Hill were the top 3 WR's in touchdown receptions last year. I don't really consider any of those guys true big "jump ball" guys. Adams is probably the closest, but all three of those guys win with great route running and strong hands. Thielen and Diggs were #9 and #10 in receiving touchdowns last year.

In my opinion, I'd rather have a true deep threat receiver to help us get to the red zone. Thielen and Diggs both can go deep, but they excel in the short to intermediate areas. If we have someone to take the top off the defense it will open up those short/intermediate routes and have a bigger impact than a bigger "red zone" guy I think.

Now, if you can get a guy like Boykin who you mentioned that can possibly do both of those things, that's even better.

How many “jump ball” receivers or passes do we even see anymore in the endzone outside of TE’s? Not many. 

In fact, the only 2 WR’s in the top 20 for TD receptions over the height of 6’1”? Adam Thielen and Michael Thomas.

The redzone has turned more into a separation game, than just the old fashion, lob the ball up and catch it for the bigger guys. That gets left up to the athletic TE’s that are matched up on LB’s or out of position safeties. Mismatches. Ertz, Ebron, Kelce, & Kittle. 

In fact, more WR’s 6’ and under than 6’ and over in the top 20 red zone target leaders

3 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

How many “jump ball” receivers or passes do we even see anymore in the endzone outside of TE’s? Not many. 

In fact, the only 2 WR’s in the top 20 for TD receptions over the height of 6’1”? Adam Thielen and Michael Thomas.

De'Andre Hopkins is right at 6'1" and is probably the best jump ball guy in the league. That dude is incredible. Outside of him, though, there's not a lot of guys I'd just throw 3 straight fades to in the red zone.

1 minute ago, vikestyle said:

De'Andre Hopkins is right at 6'1" and is probably the best jump ball guy in the league. That dude is incredible. Outside of him, though, there's not a lot of guys I'd just throw 3 straight fades to in the red zone.

And that’s part of it. Guys like him are not going at #50.

Archived