2019 NFL draft where the jags pick at 32;) (Update: pick at 7)

2 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

I guess it depends how you look at them. I guess Blake has his own way of talking with guys but it sure as hell seems like he's a buddy more than a guy that will really the troops/say what is needed. 

Either way, Jones leadership style from the looks and sounds of it is anti-Blake, good or bad. 

Haven't seen one person compare the guy to Bortles outside of this forum, and even then it seems to be due to the guy being tall, big, and white while having some inconsistencies at times in his throwing motion (that isn't nearly as "off" as Blake is/was).

I just don't think we can comment much on his leadership one way or the other. I will say though, it's highly unusual for as many players as we've had, especially on the defensive side, actively defend and praise a bad QB. That sort of thing just doesn't really happen. The fact we've seen it so much here makes me think that guys want to fight for him and that he is a good leader, but that's still just speculation at the end of the day.

but yeah. they aren't similar players or people at all. comparing the two is just lazy, baseless analysis.

6 minutes ago, Adrenaline_Flux said:

I just don't think we can comment much on his leadership one way or the other. I will say though, it's highly unusual for as many players as we've had, especially on the defensive side, actively defend and praise a bad QB. That sort of thing just doesn't really happen. The fact we've seen it so much here makes me think that guys want to fight for him and that he is a good leader, but that's still just speculation at the end of the day.

but yeah. they aren't similar players or people at all. comparing the two is just lazy, baseless analysis.

That's fair I guess. Just seemed like Bortles was very rarely showing much emotion (not that it's imperative that a QB does) and usually was on the sideline by himself or only seen with Kessler or the OC. Didn't once see him talking or hanging with the OL or WR's that I recall. I personally think some players backed him because #1 they were winning last year, and #2 the guy puts it all on the line and the guys love seeing it. This year we saw them turn on him fast and start rallying around Cody Kessler, feel like that was telling that week.

But this isn't really about that and more so about what Daniel Jones is. I get why we're triggered on guys with mechanic issues but come on...

4 minutes ago, MJD4MVP5455 said:

If Haskins goes ahead of us...how would yall feel about trading back since I dont see another qb worth a top 10 pick

Who are people trading up for?

We're past the obvious studs and Haskins...

Assuming Haskins declares, the options (unless I'm forgetting someone) looks like:

Round 1: Dwayne Haskins, Daniel Jones, Drew Lock

Round 2 or 3: Ryan Finley, Clayton Thorson, Will Grier, Jarrett Stidham

Finley is the safest Day 2 pick. Thorson and Grier would both be somewhat projects, but I like Thorson more than Grier. He's done more with less and Pat Fitzgerald has done well coaching good tendencies into QBs (see: Trevor Siemian who was a late pick who has done decently for being a guy whose arm is limited, which Thorson's isn't). Stidham I don't really like as a QB prospect. Could see us taking him in the third if he's there and we don't get a guy prior to him just because I think there are some similarities between him and Tyrod Taylor.

13 minutes ago, Adrenaline_Flux said:

Assuming Haskins declares, the options (unless I'm forgetting someone) looks like:

Finley is the safest Day 2 pick. Thorson and Grier would both be somewhat projects, but I like Thorson more than Grier. He's done more with less and Pat Fitzgerald has done well coaching good tendencies into QBs (see: Trevor Siemian who was a late pick who has done decently for being a guy whose arm is limited, which Thorson's isn't). Stidham I don't really like as a QB prospect. Could see us taking him in the third if he's there and we don't get a guy prior to him just because I think there are some similarities between him and Tyrod Taylor.

Yeah, I'd say that's the tiers for the QBs. Have a hard time seeing us not take a guy in round one but it'll be interesting what we do if we don't.

Thorson is intriguing. I agree.

2 hours ago, MJD4MVP5455 said:

Could be a spot where a team is trying to get one of the last elite DL guys.

I mean, maybe. But this draft is literally Bosa, Williams, Oliver, Allen, Haskins, then it falls off a bit imo, at this point in time.

13 hours ago, Adrenaline_Flux said:

Duke QB Daniel Jones is declaring. That's a good thing. Another option.

This is a good thing, definitely.  I'm not sure it's a good thing if we draft him...but more dudes in the mix probably helps us.

12 hours ago, .Buzz said:

I find him super intriguing. His mechanics are iffy at times but comparing him to Bortles isnt fair to him at all. Not to mention a huge strength I hear with Jones is his quick release and his football IQ/leadership as it gets compared to the Manning's because of his coach, which is the complete anti-Bortles.

Haskins is #1, but Jones is most definitely #2 at this time for me, followed by Lock.

Like @Adrenaline_Flux said, i think it's pretty unfair to suggest that Bortles didn't/doesn't have that kind of leadership quality.  Tbh...i've always thought that's one of his strongest elements actually.  He's a bit of a different "dude", but he's always had a command of a huddle and players gravitate toward him as a leader since he's been here.  Beyond what they probably should have.  Maybe it's partially coloured by Gabbert who never ever seemed to command a huddle like that...but Bortles has always seemed like more of an "intangibles" guy.  That "gamer" who sucks, but does better than expected and rallies the troops.

What does seem lazy, is comparing Jones to Manning because of his coach.  I think "quick release" with Jones, is often being mistaken for, "asked to get the ball out quickly" schematically.  Which is a different thing entirely, when it comes to NFL translation.

A guy like Jones getting serious 1st round consideration doesn't exempt him from having serious mechanical inconsistencies.  It sure as heck didn't exempt Bortles from being a complete disaster of a Top-5 pick.  Not that it's a guarantee Jones sucks that hard too...but i just don't want to do that again.

8 hours ago, Adrenaline_Flux said:

I think it's interesting to bring up the Siemian connection with Thorson.  I wouldn't say he doesn't have a limited arm...but it's miles better than what Siemian had.  The main point though, i think is a good one...in that he's a guy coming out of a program that has just put a temporarily decent game-manager into the NFL with massively more limited tools.  Really makes Thorson interesting to me.

I very deliberately left Finley off my "2nd wave" QB megapost or whatever.  I just don't see anything there.  He looks like an AJ McCarron to me.  I think he'll be a decent backup in the league, but he's got nothing when it comes to doing anything dynamic.  Like AJ, he looks like a weak-armed captain checkdown to me.  He's polished at it, and he'll avoid anything where a mistake might be made...to a fault.  He'll have an NFL career probably.  But i don't see a cent of benefit to that type of player for this team, where it sits right now.  

That's where i reject your Finley, and substitute my Rypien.  Who i think has more "upside" despite the size.

And Stidham kinda seems like an...idk.  I still have no idea what he even is.  But it's a huge project, i know that much.  

14 hours ago, .Buzz said:

Who are people trading up for?

We're past the obvious studs and Haskins...

Maybe a team panics after the Giants take Haskins and they want to trade up with us to grab Jones before other QB needy teams. Maybe there is a team eyeing edge rusher Josh Allen and they want to move up before another team (insert any NFL team here) decides to pull the trigger on a top talent rusher. 

29 minutes ago, Jags said:

Maybe a team panics after the Giants take Haskins and they want to trade up with us to grab Jones before other QB needy teams. Maybe there is a team eyeing edge rusher Josh Allen and they want to move up before another team (insert any NFL team here) decides to pull the trigger on a top talent rusher. 

Listed Allen after Bosa/Williams above. We're all the way at 7. Would be kind of surprised if he was there.

Archived