2019 NFL draft where the jags pick at 32;) (Update: pick at 7)

On 31/03/2019 at 9:06 PM, LinderFournette said:

have u checked this TE class. its absolutely loaded.  we also have a pretty big need at te even with the signing of swaim and james back.  taking 1 in round 1 like Hockenson and taking a guy ive mocked to us from san diego state in the 3rd round do wonders.  we use alot of 2 te sets and foles loves the TE. 

On 31/03/2019 at 9:09 PM, LinderFournette said:

i think the temptation of something like Hockenson and Knox would just be 2 much to pass on.  same with kahale warring.  im not saying go round 1 and 2 with te but u know 1 and 3 wouldnt be all that bad.  swaims likely gone after this season anyways with his salary. 

I feel like the bolded is exactly why we're saying it doesn't make sense to double-dip at TE in the first few rounds.  There are going to be guys with upside still there later.  If they wait on TE, sure...double up and get more darts in the board if you're not getting the premium guys at the top.  But if they're going TE in R1/R2, i think you have to trust your process that you're getting a starter there...and plug some of the many other holes in this team with those other top picks, before coming back to TE with a later pick on one of those guys that's still around at that point.

We've got lots of holes to plug, and this draft looks solid in that Day2 range for some of those needs too.

12 hours ago, .Buzz said:

@LinderFournette the length though

McGary is such a big and tall guy, i think that combined with his demeanor really fitting the bill, probably really trumps any sort of arm-length threshold that we don't even really know is an absolute for sure must-have thing for this front office right now.

The way they're looking at projected late 1st/early 2nd guys like McGary and Risner, certainly makes it look like they're at least doing their homework on what a RT in Round2 might look like.  Makes it seems like even if they are eyeing up Jawaan Taylor at 7, they're at least doing plenty of due diligence on alternatives if they go a different way at the top.  As they darn well should.

6 hours ago, Tugboat said:

McGary is such a big and tall guy, i think that combined with his demeanor really fitting the bill, probably really trumps any sort of arm-length threshold that we don't even really know is an absolute for sure must-have thing for this front office right now.

The way they're looking at projected late 1st/early 2nd guys like McGary and Risner, certainly makes it look like they're at least doing their homework on what a RT in Round2 might look like.  Makes it seems like even if they are eyeing up Jawaan Taylor at 7, they're at least doing plenty of due diligence on alternatives if they go a different way at the top.  As they darn well should.

Hockenson at 7 is a reach it’s a reach like Fournette. But I think the pick will probably be Hockenson because I think they are also looking for that type of look Lewis use to give them from a blocking stand point back in the day. What surprised me about the Blue signing is that they signed a back that does things similar to what Fournette can do instead of a pure 3rd down pass catching threat. Not to mention we have a lot of pieces that don’t necessarily mesh well with what Foles is known to have success in doing. Things like RPOs and passing to TE and backs. Fournette is a down hill runner who isn’t known for his pass catching. Fournette isn’t the type of finesse back where you can just stick the ball in his belly and take it away from him. At least Hock sets up things nice as an extra lineman to chip on the end on elite DEs and it allows you to run a lot of offense off of what he can do skill set wise both in run and pass situations . 

I believe if they draft Taylor they’re going to regret it in 3 years. Taylor would fit the JAGs figuratively as just another guy. 

11 hours ago, Tugboat said:

I feel like the bolded is exactly why we're saying it doesn't make sense to double-dip at TE in the first few rounds.  There are going to be guys with upside still there later.  If they wait on TE, sure...double up and get more darts in the board if you're not getting the premium guys at the top.  But if they're going TE in R1/R2, i think you have to trust your process that you're getting a starter there...and plug some of the many other holes in this team with those other top picks, before coming back to TE with a later pick on one of those guys that's still around at that point.

We've got lots of holes to plug, and this draft looks solid in that Day2 range for some of those needs too.

If we are gonna run 2 te sets alot we are gonna need 2 good tes.  2 starting caliber tes is the way of belichek. While it is deep draft im not convinced that a good amount of these day 3 tes would be day 2 guts in a different class. 

1 hour ago, LinderFournette said:

If we are gonna run 2 te sets alot we are gonna need 2 good tes.  2 starting caliber tes is the way of belichek. While it is deep draft im not convinced that a good amount of these day 3 tes would be day 2 guts in a different class. 

I don't think that's the biggest concern.  If you get that stud "#1TE" who plays 60%+ of the snaps like Ertz, even in Philly the last couple years...that "2nd TE" is still only on the field 40-50% of the time.  That's well within what Swaim has shown he can probably handle, and O'Shaughnessy can supplement that just fine.  Throw another later pick rookie in the mix and i think you've got a decent enough collection to get the snaps played.  I mean sure, if wishes were horses...we'd ride with two stud TEs from the first couple rounds and find a quality starting RT plus a RG to push Cann, and a good WR and a RB with upside and a DE to replace Fowler, a DT to push Taven and a good safety to fill Gipson's shoes like Ronnie did for Church last year, and probably a true MLB to push Jack back to where he played better too.

We've got a lot of things that need to be patched still, and realistically...that 2nd TE is probably only gonna see the field half the time at most on offense anyway.  And they've already brought in 2 guys who can probably handle that duty well enough.  It's not Ertz+Goedert good, but it'll probably do.

6 hours ago, DuvalsKing said:

Hockenson at 7 is a reach it’s a reach like Fournette. But I think the pick will probably be Hockenson because I think they are also looking for that type of look Lewis use to give them from a blocking stand point back in the day. What surprised me about the Blue signing is that they signed a back that does things similar to what Fournette can do instead of a pure 3rd down pass catching threat. Not to mention we have a lot of pieces that don’t necessarily mesh well with what Foles is known to have success in doing. Things like RPOs and passing to TE and backs. Fournette is a down hill runner who isn’t known for his pass catching. Fournette isn’t the type of finesse back where you can just stick the ball in his belly and take it away from him. At least Hock sets up things nice as an extra lineman to chip on the end on elite DEs and it allows you to run a lot of offense off of what he can do skill set wise both in run and pass situations . 

I believe if they draft Taylor they’re going to regret it in 3 years. Taylor would fit the JAGs figuratively as just another guy. 

I don't think Blue is really that similar to Fournette other than that they're carrying a low YPC average.  I think he's a more competent receiver out of the backfield when asked, than you're giving credit for...but he mostly just isn't a very good back overall.  He's like a fringe #3/4 back who shouldn't be playing much more than that.  Really poor man's Yeldon is probably closer.  But he should at least add value on ST, which is something that's nice to get from your depth RBs.

With Fournette/Rawls/Blue looking like 3/4 of their intended roster RBs, i do think the position has to be on table in the draft, fairly early even.  If those are the 2 veteran depth guys, you're gonna need a rookie who is essentially gonna be a good #2RB who can even take over if/when Fournette gets dinged up again.  Would've made so much more sense to me to spend a tiny bit more on a veteran who can actually be serviceable in a tandem with someone if Fournette goes down.  Rather than painting themselves into a corner of having to draft a back to play a potentially feature role.  But this is what they're doing i guess...

Since Hockenson would be a reach, Taylor would be a big regret, and QB is kinda off the table as it doesn't support Foles at all...who exactly would you like to see at 7?

4 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

I don't think Blue is really that similar to Fournette other than that they're carrying a low YPC average.  I think he's a more competent receiver out of the backfield when asked, than you're giving credit for...but he mostly just isn't a very good back overall.  He's like a fringe #3/4 back who shouldn't be playing much more than that.  Really poor man's Yeldon is probably closer.  But he should at least add value on ST, which is something that's nice to get from your depth RBs.

With Fournette/Rawls/Blue looking like 3/4 of their intended roster RBs, i do think the position has to be on table in the draft, fairly early even.  If those are the 2 veteran depth guys, you're gonna need a rookie who is essentially gonna be a good #2RB who can even take over if/when Fournette gets dinged up again.  Would've made so much more sense to me to spend a tiny bit more on a veteran who can actually be serviceable in a tandem with someone if Fournette goes down.  Rather than painting themselves into a corner of having to draft a back to play a potentially feature role.  But this is what they're doing i guess...

Since Hockenson would be a reach, Taylor would be a big regret, and QB is kinda off the table as it doesn't support Foles at all...who exactly would you like to see at 7?

the DC at rb reads to me like Fournette/blue/cunningham/rawls(dude hasnt been healthy for a while and is questionable to make the roster at best. 

5 minutes ago, LinderFournette said:

the DC at rb reads to me like Fournette/blue/cunningham/rawls(dude hasnt been healthy for a while and is questionable to make the roster at best. 

Whichever way you slice it, it's a trio of fringe/depth veterans who aren't even as good as Yeldon was for us.  And Yeldon wasn't really good enough to handle things when Fournette was down.  Don't see how anyone could expect these castoffs to manage.

3 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

Whichever way you slice it, it's a trio of fringe/depth veterans who aren't even as good as Yeldon was for us.  And Yeldon wasn't really good enough to handle things when Fournette was down.  Don't see how anyone could expect these castoffs to manage.

heres to hoping fournette somehow gets the durability cheat card like they do in madden otherwise its

to the entire front office and Coaches

This RB room has probably the most epic combined YPC of the entire NFL:

Last season/Career

LF 3.3/3.7

Blue 3.3/3.6

Rawls 2.7/4.2

Cunningham 1.8/4.2

Rawls and Cunningham's career YPc are boosted by high YPC that are 3 to 4 years old otherwise their last two years are just downright awful lol

28 minutes ago, Speedyg said:

This RB room has probably the most epic combined YPC of the entire NFL:

Last season/Career

LF 3.3/3.7

Blue 3.3/3.6

Rawls 2.7/4.2

Cunningham 1.8/4.2

Rawls and Cunningham's career YPc are boosted by high YPC that are 3 to 4 years old otherwise their last two years are just downright awful lol

Blue, Rawls, and Cunningham have very low $ deals that will be easy outs if they don't look the part in TC.

Not to mention I don't think Cunningham was signed for his value at RB...well documented he was great on special teams for the Rams.

18 hours ago, DuvalsKing said:

Unfortunately for the LF draft(much like this year with Taylor and Hock) there weren’t alot of great options without using hindsight. Yea the QBs were great after the fact but weren’t perceived as such at the time 

Despite everything I’ve said about wanting to draft offense round 1 the better talents by far are on defense and that just might be the way we go R1

Archived