2019 NFL draft where the jags pick at 32;) (Update: pick at 7)

TBH i feel like oliver would be the better player long-term for us and thats not to say Sweat wont be a good player but oliver seems like a potential aaron donald/Mike Daniels guys.  bryan showed a few flashes but really didnt seem like much pass rush from inside.  oliver would help with that problem and if u want a bigger end to draft u take a look at John Comminksky from Charleston and corbin kaufausi from BYU

48 minutes ago, LinderFournette said:

TBH i feel like oliver would be the better player long-term for us and thats not to say Sweat wont be a good player but oliver seems like a potential aaron donald/Mike Daniels guys.  bryan showed a few flashes but really didnt seem like much pass rush from inside.  oliver would help with that problem and if u want a bigger end to draft u take a look at John Comminksky from Charleston and corbin kaufausi from BYU

I just feel like they will use the Bryan pick as an excuse not to draft Oliver. I want him pretty badly though

42 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

I just feel like they will use the Bryan pick as an excuse not to draft Oliver. I want him pretty badly though

just cuz u spent a higher pick on the same position doesnt mean u shouldnt take a proven guy even if the project player showed a few flashes.  i want my DL fresh to go 100% on the snaps they get. 

bryan to me doesnt seem like hes gonna be a great pass rusher and oliver seems like hes got a knack for making penetration against the run and houstons defense took away his ability to make sacks. 

38 minutes ago, LinderFournette said:

just cuz u spent a higher pick on the same position doesnt mean u shouldnt take a proven guy even if the project player showed a few flashes.  i want my DL fresh to go 100% on the snaps they get. 

bryan to me doesnt seem like hes gonna be a great pass rusher and oliver seems like hes got a knack for making penetration against the run and houstons defense took away his ability to make sacks. 

I agree I’m just saying how they’ll rationalize it

Also if Bryan isn’t going to be a great passer he’s garbage bc he isnt a good run stopper 

3 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

I agree I’m just saying how they’ll rationalize it

Also if Bryan isn’t going to be a great passer he’s garbage bc he isnt a good run stopper 

i see the difference between picking Oliver(likely a starting 3 tech this year) over taking a guy like sweat who would be maybe 50% of the snaps depending how they wanna work this DL rotation. if a scout tells u a guy is a probowler and there seems to be a need at the position due to inexperience i would go ahead and pick the probowler type of talent. 

its okay to admit u butchered a pick and its another to keep pushing the bad pick out there just cuz he was a former high round pick(looking at gabbert, bortles. 

1 hour ago, LinderFournette said:

i see the difference between picking Oliver(likely a starting 3 tech this year) over taking a guy like sweat who would be maybe 50% of the snaps depending how they wanna work this DL rotation. if a scout tells u a guy is a probowler and there seems to be a need at the position due to inexperience i would go ahead and pick the probowler type of talent. 

its okay to admit u butchered a pick and its another to keep pushing the bad pick out there just cuz he was a former high round pick(looking at gabbert, bortles. 

Bryan flashed quite a bit at 3T. No reason to think they butchered the pick at all yet.

1 hour ago, .Buzz said:

Bryan flashed quite a bit at 3T. No reason to think they butchered the pick at all yet.

It looks incredibly foolish to have gone for a 3T there, with this draft class coming along...but yeah, no reason to think Taven can't become at least a decent starting 3T disruptive presence and notch some sacks there.  Everyone knew he was very raw when we picked him, and didn't really expect much from him the first year.  Especially with Malik still obviously on the roster.

2 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

It looks incredibly foolish to have gone for a 3T there, with this draft class coming along...but yeah, no reason to think Taven can't become at least a decent starting 3T disruptive presence and notch some sacks there.  Everyone knew he was very raw when we picked him, and didn't really expect much from him the first year.  Especially with Malik still obviously on the roster.

We could have had some much better potential guys like Lamar Jackson, Courtland Sutton, will Hernandez, dallas goedert all who would be better and thats not even digging deep. 

Hernadez likely saves us from resigning cann. 

Goedert takes te. 

Sutton is our number 1. 

Lamar could reinvigorate our rush offense

11 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

Yeah, if we want to argue we went with the wrong position with this killer DL class coming up that's one thing.

Doesn't mean Bryan himself can't be a solid/good 3T though.

21 minutes ago, LinderFournette said:

We could have had some much better potential guys like Lamar Jackson, Courtland Sutton, will Hernandez, dallas goedert all who would be better and thats not even digging deep. 

Hernadez likely saves us from resigning cann. 

Goedert takes te. 

Sutton is our number 1. 

Lamar could reinvigorate our rush offense

I certainly agree on a few of those, and i agree in general principles very much though (and did at the time as well), that we would've been better served getting someone at another position of need (offense in particular).

Lamar Jackson is still very much...jury is completely out on whether he's gonna be anything.  Sure, he reinvigorated the Ravens rushing attack during his stint...but you saw how badly that was shut down in the playoffs, even with that defense in Baltimore playing at an elite level through that run.  He wouldn't have meant much to us last year, where Bortles wasn't playing at even close to Flacco's level to get the team in the picture through the first half of the season.  And the thing with Jackson is...it puts you in exactly the purgatory the Ravens are in right now, not knowing if Jackson is going to improve enough as a passer to be "the guy" or not.  But being tied to it for better or worse.

And Hernadez really falls into the same problem as Taven Bryan imo, in that this OLine group looks really strong to me toward the top.  There are going to be better (and more versatile) Interior OLinemen than Hernandez who might even be slipping into the early 3rd round this year i think.

Still though, like @.Buzz said above...the stupidity of taking a 3T the year before a loaded DLine class like this, is a separate argument from whether or not Taven can develop into a decent player anyway.

Archived