2019 NFL draft where the jags pick at 32;) (Update: pick at 7)

4 hours ago, .Buzz said:

Like this guy.

Josh Oliver is alright and has nice upside, but early Friday is too rich for my blood.  Especially in a class with a lot of depth at TE.  Maybe late Friday, very early Saturday for me.

If there's a Day 2 run on TEs like last year though, where we just missed out on most of the guys i liked...and apparently the staff felt they kinda whiffed on their guys too, i guess maybe you just pull the trigger earlier.  Just think there are better guys you'll comfortably be able to get early Friday especially.

8 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

Josh Oliver is alright and has nice upside, but early Friday is too rich for my blood.  Especially in a class with a lot of depth at TE.  Maybe late Friday, very early Saturday for me.

If there's a Day 2 run on TEs like last year though, where we just missed out on most of the guys i liked...and apparently the staff felt they kinda whiffed on their guys too, i guess maybe you just pull the trigger earlier.  Just think there are better guys you'll comfortably be able to get early Friday especially.

Yeah, talking round 3 personally.

11 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Yeah, talking round 3 personally.

I'd lean toward even later, but it's one of those things where i would understand going earlier because TEs with upside often seem to go in runs where you want to get out in front of it or you might miss out.

I just figure, i've got 7 TEs i like ahead of Oliver.  That should be enough to last 'till at least the 3rd round, where we've got a few darts to throw.  Oliver would kinda be a fallback if we did miss out on those Day 2 guys for me.  But it sounds like that's not really likely if he's getting early Friday buzz.

w1vLQqD.jpg

Thought this chart was kinda interesting, and relevant to a lot of what we're potentially looking at in the draft OLine-wise.  Especially if Flip ends up having Foles toss the ball around the yard all day, like he has with other OC gigs in the past.  Pass protection efficiency is gonna be important.

Dillard really stands out for both the sheer volume and efficiency, but i think is a clear outlier in that his stats are obviously inflated like QB stats tend to be in those Leach offenses, by the number of quick and "easy" dink and dunk passing reps.

Risner unsurprisingly comes out looking like an absolute stud.

Jawaan Taylor comes out marginally behind on efficiency, and quite a ways on sheer volume of reps compared to guys like Jonah and Little who are clustered pretty tightly.

Obviously far from the end-all, be-all of the situation...but sheds some interesting light on a few guys i think.

Yoinked from a post by @49erurtaza in the draft section.

4 hours ago, .Buzz said:

I think the biggest question with Jonah is really...

Is he gonna be more Jack Conklin, or Brandon Scherff as a Pro?  Both guys with some kinda similar profiles and some potential athletic limitations as OTs, taken in that same sort of Top-10 range we're looking at.  One guy made it, the other has just sorta ended up a really good OG.  I think those teams are both still pretty happy either way, but it is a tougher sell if you come out of the draft with Jonah at 7 and he ends up just bumping AJ Cann out at Guard.  Particularly if you don't manage to lock down something else decent at RT and that continues to be a glaring hole in the line.

I mean, i like Jonah just fine at 7 if we're not going Hockenson or something.  But it's something to think about.

The other thing i've been thinking about with all this talk of Haskins potentially slipping past the Giants is...as much as it'd rub salt in wounds here, i could actually see it opening up some possibilities to legitimately trade down a bit if there becomes a frenzy trying to go up and get him.  QB is really the only position you're likely to generate that kind of movement up at the top like that...and even if the Giants end up not liking him as much and we're Ride or Die with BDN...it sounds like there are still other teams interested.

If we could swing it...a mild trade-back into the teens would probably serve us really well.  Still probably picking from a lot of the same names, but with an added pick somewhere for our troubles.

16 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

The other thing i've been thinking about with all this talk of Haskins potentially slipping past the Giants is...as much as it'd rub salt in wounds here, i could actually see it opening up some possibilities to legitimately trade down a bit if there becomes a frenzy trying to go up and get him.  QB is really the only position you're likely to generate that kind of movement up at the top like that...and even if the Giants end up not liking him as much and we're Ride or Die with BDN...it sounds like there are still other teams interested.

If we could swing it...a mild trade-back into the teens would probably serve us really well.  Still probably picking from a lot of the same names, but with an added pick somewhere for our troubles.

I think most of us agree trading down is great but this is the 1st year in a while(maybe the LF draft too) where our biggest needs and what’s available just arent worth taking at our 1st pick

4 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

I think most of us agree trading down is great but this is the 1st year in a while(maybe the LF draft too) where our biggest needs and what’s available just arent worth taking at our 1st pick

Yeah.  It's always a popular idea.  Hedging bets and all that.  Basically never happens.  Mostly because we're always at the top of the draft every year, where movement is usually a lot bigger of a deal and more expensive, meaning only for QBs.  Seems to happen plenty for teams like the Patriots, where they just collect free picks later in the 1st.

But this is also the first year in a long time where there might be a QB someone wants to go up and get, and it isn't us because we're all in on Foles.

4 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

Yeah.  It's always a popular idea.  Hedging bets and all that.  Basically never happens.  Mostly because we're always at the top of the draft every year, where movement is usually a lot bigger of a deal and more expensive, meaning only for QBs.  Seems to happen plenty for teams like the Patriots, where they just collect free picks later in the 1st.

But this is also the first year in a long time where there might be a QB someone wants to go up and get, and it isn't us because we're all in on Foles.

Assuming we’re all in, since at least we appear to be it might hurt our leverage but i think any GM worth their salt can see 7 is a sucky spot for us. We might not even try to fleece someone looking for a QB

Also anyone else disappointed we beat Miami and Indy in 2 of the last 5 games?

We’d be picking 2nd if we lost those and at least 5th if we lost 1

Archived