2019 NFL draft where the jags pick at 32;) (Update: pick at 7)

of the potential DEs that are likely available to us:

Sweat seems like the best fit as they seem to want a good pass rusher from the big end spot.  he probably has the frame to add some more weight but i feel like he could play a true 4-3 LE position. 

Burns seems like an ngakoue replacement but if say the team did finish outside the playoffs or bust i would like to see the jags entertain the idea of having 2 dominate true pass rushers outside like Burns and ngakoue kinda like how the colts had freeeney and mathis and while they were pretty below average defending the run i feel like that was partly due to their average DT play and average lbers. 

gary fits as a potential edge in the sense of a big end but i dont like him as a pass rusher in the spot and i think the team counts on the big end being able to create pressure/sacks. 

On 05/04/2019 at 3:39 PM, .Buzz said:

Trust me, I'm with you.

Regardless, he'd be far from the only guy with low production/boom or bust hype to go top 10 due to those qualities. I'd prefer not to go that route after doing something so similar with Bryan (although I like Gary as a prospect more obviously) last year. He has a chance to be quite good, but I'd prefer not to go with that type of guy and hope he just figures it out.

If we go DL, give me Q, Allen, Bosa, Sweat, Oliver, or honestly even Burns (not my favorite, but I'm coming around on him). Like the idea of them over Gary at 7 if that's the route we take.

Honestly, i'm not sure i like Gary more than Taven as a prospect.  Gary may have a slightly better chance of sticking as a DE, but as a DT...ehhh, pretty comparable imo.  I think Gary's even got less excuse to be as allegedly "raw" as he is, doesn't have the size of Taven coming out to play inside, and aside from the pretty much irrelevant 40 yard dash, doesn't really have an appreciable edge in his athletic testing and i'm not convinced the "flashes" on tape from Bryan weren't bigger than Gary's.

On 06/04/2019 at 8:31 PM, Speedyg said:

I certainly don't trust Wash to run anything exotic,  but there is a veteran blitzing expert now on the staff with experience getting alot out of his type

Yeah.  This is a good point.  Could well be that he ends up being just another pointless body in the press box...but if Capers does take a more active role in helping run the defense, a guy like Allen would give us all kinds of options for different looks.  Wouldn't be that outlandish for them to start incorporating some things skewed toward more of a 3-4 look he's know for at least, if they had the LB/DE hybrid to pull it off like that.  That kind of stuff isn't entirely foreign to the "simple" Kiffin tree Wash essentially comes from.

On 06/04/2019 at 9:32 AM, .Buzz said:

This Jones/Haskins stuff is starting to remind me of the Bortles/Teddy stuff that really gained steam heading toward that draft post-combine, and ended up coming to fruition.  I can't see Jones going as high as Bortles, or Haskins going as low as Teddy...but then...i couldn't really believe Teddy fell that far either.

6 hours ago, LinderFournette said:

of the potential DEs that are likely available to us:

Sweat seems like the best fit as they seem to want a good pass rusher from the big end spot.  he probably has the frame to add some more weight but i feel like he could play a true 4-3 LE position. 

Burns seems like an ngakoue replacement but if say the team did finish outside the playoffs or bust i would like to see the jags entertain the idea of having 2 dominate true pass rushers outside like Burns and ngakoue kinda like how the colts had freeeney and mathis and while they were pretty below average defending the run i feel like that was partly due to their average DT play and average lbers. 

gary fits as a potential edge in the sense of a big end but i dont like him as a pass rusher in the spot and i think the team counts on the big end being able to create pressure/sacks. 

I can see what you mean about Burns as a "Ngakoue replacement" in the sense that he'd probably need to play in that same role to really be successful.  But there's a huge gulf between them in that Yan is actually legitimately strong with a power game when he needs it, multiple counters, and violent technician with his hands.  Burns is really just a finesse speed guy at this point, with some legit concerns imo, over whether he's ever really going to develop a meaningful power counter or just end up one of those guys who either runs clear around the Tackle or accomplishes zero.

I think the idea of having "2 dominant pass rushers" on the edge would be great...but a Yan and Burns combo, isn't something that i can see working in a base defense.  Even in more of a 3-4 look.  I wouldn't trust either in even basic coverage.

Having Burns slide into that Fowler situational role, maybe it lands you some sacks...but in reality, even in those sub package situations, i don't think you can afford to have an even weaker run defender there.  Plus, intentionally drafting a rotational/package player at 7 seems like a goof when you look at some of the other plug 'n play starting talent that should be available to us.

There are just too many guys i'd prefer, for that role especially...who are almost certainly going to be around for us with our 2nd and maybe even our early 3rd.

13 hours ago, Tugboat said:

Honestly, i'm not sure i like Gary more than Taven as a prospect.  Gary may have a slightly better chance of sticking as a DE, but as a DT...ehhh, pretty comparable imo.  I think Gary's even got less excuse to be as allegedly "raw" as he is, doesn't have the size of Taven coming out to play inside, and aside from the pretty much irrelevant 40 yard dash, doesn't really have an appreciable edge in his athletic testing and i'm not convinced the "flashes" on tape from Bryan weren't bigger than Gary's.

Gary is a essential Fowler a jack of many trades and a master of none.

11 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Safe to say Sweat is the preferred DE considering Bosa and Allen will be gone?

Eh I actually wouldn't knock that pick but things that concern me are using a top 10 pick on a guy with a injury red flag.. but if their docs are good with taking him fine.. I just don't want to get into yr 3 and then we find out his career is stunted or ending. Reservation 2 is they sell us on the we will have 2 bookends in the next 6-8 yrs and free agency rolls around and they let Yann walk because Sweat is so promising.

7 minutes ago, DuvalsKing said:

Eh I actually wouldn't knock that pick but things that concern me are using a top 10 pick on a guy with a injury red flag.. but if their docs are good with taking him fine.. I just don't want to get into yr 3 and then we find out his career is stunted or ending. Reservation 2 is they sell us on the we will have 2 bookends in the next 6-8 yrs and free agency rolls around and they let Yann walk because Sweat is so promising.

his injury flag was checked out cleared and subsequently allowed to participate in the combine. if the combine doctors say hes good to go i trust them cuz they should be able to give a good accurate reading on the problem.   

Archived