2019 NFL draft where the jags pick at 32;) (Update: pick at 7)

21 hours ago, LinderFournette said:

Allen would be more of a Sam LBer then a True pass rushing DE.  hes perfect for a 3-4 OLB cuz he rush and cover but here i feel like his abilities wouldnt be all the way maximized unless allen can play MLB which moves jack.

allens a good pass rusher but i wouldnt call him great. i just feel like he would be a sam lber that can kick down to DE like irvin. dont think we need him tbh. 

I think you're underrating him a bit as a pass rusher there, simply because he can do other things.  Using him like you described here, he'd be closer to a full-time starter for us than any of the more pure pass rusher types like Sweat, Burns, etc. that have been mentioned.  He'd be getting onto the field as a DE just as much as those other guys...but have the ability to jump in for snaps at SAM LBer at other times and contribute there.

10 hours ago, DuvalsKing said:

They wouldn’t get exotic with looks from Allen you can assure Wash would put his hand in the ground 99.9% of the time just like Fowler. Allen is going to be a great 34 OLB. I wouldn’t draft him to put his hand in the majority of the time in a 43 because you’d kill his potential.

I wouldn't expect any "exotic" looks from Wash, no matter what the personnel is.  But having Allen's ability to get on the field with snaps at SAM LBer in addition to DE in sub packages within the pretty basic schemes Wash runs, would help get him on the field more than these other DE prospects being looked at - who would essentially be looking at a Fowler-esque snapcount.

Talking about "killing his potential" with Allen, i don't really buy.  As a pure DE/pass rushing prospect alone, he'd easily be worth the 7.  But his ability to find his way onto the field in a LBer role would be a nice bonus...and would give us terrific flexibility if this season does bomb out and we end up with totally new staff next year who might want to look at doing things differently.

I kinda made the mistake of undervaluing Khalil Mack as a pass rusher back in the draft because he had the ability to do other things, rather than just looking at it as pure gravy on top.  Not gonna make that mistake with Allen.  He's really good.  The versatility is just a bonus.

11 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Reports say its Sweat so its definitely not him bc that’s how the NFL draft works

It's gonna be Gary.

Then this forum is going to be super pissed off, including myself.

5 minutes later I'll be super excited about him and hope he lives up to his high upside with his freakish athleticism.

14 hours ago, .Buzz said:

It's gonna be Gary.

Then this forum is going to be super pissed off, including myself.

5 minutes later I'll be super excited about him and hope he lives up to his high upside with his freakish athleticism.

Man, it'd take me a lot more than 5 minutes if Gary is the pick.  xD

I can see why a lot of people are getting hyped about some of his "raw athleticism"...but it's like, this isn't a guy coming out of a small school with poor/limited coaching.

Part of the lacking production is the role they asked Gary to play, sure.  Is it really altogether different from what we ask Calais to do on early downs/base package looks though?  He wasn't productive in that role vs NCAA talent...what makes us think he's going to be productive doing roughly the same things vs NFLers?  Unless we're talking about making him predominantly a penetrating 3T...in which case, it's huge projection...when there are other guys almost surely available at that pick who could be stud 3T players and have actually already shown it on college tape.

2 hours ago, Tugboat said:

Man, it'd take me a lot more than 5 minutes if Gary is the pick.  xD

I can see why a lot of people are getting hyped about some of his "raw athleticism"...but it's like, this isn't a guy coming out of a small school with poor/limited coaching.

Part of the lacking production is the role they asked Gary to play, sure.  Is it really altogether different from what we ask Calais to do on early downs/base package looks though?  He wasn't productive in that role vs NCAA talent...what makes us think he's going to be productive doing roughly the same things vs NFLers?  Unless we're talking about making him predominantly a penetrating 3T...in which case, it's huge projection...when there are other guys almost surely available at that pick who could be stud 3T players and have actually already shown it on college tape.

Trust me, I'm with you.

Regardless, he'd be far from the only guy with low production/boom or bust hype to go top 10 due to those qualities. I'd prefer not to go that route after doing something so similar with Bryan (although I like Gary as a prospect more obviously) last year. He has a chance to be quite good, but I'd prefer not to go with that type of guy and hope he just figures it out.

If we go DL, give me Q, Allen, Bosa, Sweat, Oliver, or honestly even Burns (not my favorite, but I'm coming around on him). Like the idea of them over Gary at 7 if that's the route we take.

23 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Trust me, I'm with you.

Regardless, he'd be far from the only guy with low production/boom or bust hype to go top 10 due to those qualities. I'd prefer not to go that route after doing something so similar with Bryan (although I like Gary as a prospect more obviously) last year. He has a chance to be quite good, but I'd prefer not to go with that type of guy and hope he just figures it out.

If we go DL, give me Q, Allen, Bosa, Sweat, Oliver, or honestly even Burns (not my favorite, but I'm coming around on him). Like the idea of them over Gary at 7 if that's the route we take.

burns got some of the best bend in the draft.   might be a lil smaller then what we want but he sure has the athleticism to make up for it. 

if im making the DL list im probably the odd ball on this list but im putting Q. Williams number 1 on the DL board.

Q Williams

Bosa

Sweat/burns

Oliver

Gary(hes played the 3 tech on a limited basis and looked good but hes 2 small to play the 3tech all the time and he doesnt seem quick enough to be another campbell. 

On 4/4/2019 at 11:33 AM, DuvalsKing said:

They wouldn’t get exotic with looks from Allen you can assure Wash would put his hand in the ground 99.9% of the time just like Fowler. Allen is going to be a great 34 OLB. I wouldn’t draft him to put his hand in the majority of the time in a 43 because you’d kill his potential.

I certainly don't trust Wash to run anything exotic,  but there is a veteran blitzing expert now on the staff with experience getting alot out of his type

Archived