Matt Ryan and Falcons agree to contract extension first 30 million a year QB

49erurtaza

On 04/05/2018 at 10:04 PM, RuskieTitan said:

I'll give you the answer - when the QBs wife makes more than the top end of these mega deals, then that QB can be like Brady and take less money.

Otherwise, get that paper to establish your bloodline long term, because 50 years from now no one will give a damn whether you took less to have a shot at a championship that never came to fruition, but your family legacy and future generations upon generations can live in the wealth that you establish.

I reckon a lot more people will give a damn about you if you won the SB compared to which college your great-grandchildren can afford to go to. 

On 05/05/2018 at 12:08 AM, FalconFan13 said:

1. Signing bonus: $46.5 million

2. 2018 salary: $6 million, fully guaranteed.

What??

So throughout the 2018 season, where he will put his body on the line, he'll making 12% of what he earned just overnight by signing paper? (Even more ridiculous if you work it out game by game). Any other job they'd pocket the 47m and bye bye, laters, I'm not doing any work for 12% of what I last earned. I know it's the NFL and clearly there's more to it than money, but this structure seems a little strange to me.

3 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

What??

So throughout the 2018 season, where he will put his body on the line, he'll making 12% of what he earned just overnight by signing paper? (Even more ridiculous if you work it out game by game). Any other job they'd pocket the 47m and bye bye, laters, I'm not doing any work for 12% of what I last earned. I know it's the NFL and clearly there's more to it than money, but this structure seems a little strange to me.

The niners did the same with Jimmy g, except it was structured as a roster bonus rather than signing bonus. He only gets 6.2 million base. It's not unusual.

6 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

I reckon a lot more people will give a damn about you if you won the SB compared to which college your great-grandchildren can afford to go to. 

If someone places more stock in the opinion of how total strangers view you compared to how your actual bloodline lives, then I say that man is a fool.

25 minutes ago, Forge said:

The niners did the same with Jimmy g, except it was structured as a roster bonus rather than signing bonus. He only gets 6.2 million base. It's not unusual.

Is that "bonus" paid in one lump sum over night, or is it broken down throughout the life of the contract?

25 minutes ago, RuskieTitan said:

If someone places more stock in the opinion of how total strangers view you compared to how your actual bloodline lives, then I say that man is a fool.

Wasn't that the point you made though when you said "no one will give a damn", how people view you in the future? More people will give a damn if you won the SB compared to something they can't see. But I agree with you, I'd rather my personal/family life was sorted rather than what Joe and Jill Bloggs from X thought of my career. I would like to win the SB if I was a player though.....

58 minutes ago, Forge said:

They are both paid in one lump sum 

Pffuar...If a player is financially motivated, what is the incentive to stay motivated all season, when you've made 80% of your total income in one go just by signing on? 

59 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Pffuar...If a player is financially motivated, what is the incentive to stay motivated all season, when you've made 80% of your total income in one go just by signing on? 

Thats why you have to really judge and know the type of player you do deal for like this.  Some have and will call it quits and milk the contract thats who gets traded 2 years in and the team eats alot of dead money it can cripple a team.  But on the other hand if you work it right and the players is a great guy and will always try hard it can allow you to save some money right now for more players and restructure later on.   Being a GM is tough on being able to read players im not gonna lie.

I’m surprised more QB’s aren’t taking the Brady route and taking a pay cut so that management can make the team stronger elsewhere. Thus giving you a better chance to win.

Is there a drastic difference in liftstyle between making 30 or 15 million annually? I’m far from a millionaire, but I would assume once you’re rich you’re rich. 

Am I missing something?

52 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

I’m surprised more QB’s aren’t taking the Brady route and taking a pay cut so that management can make the team stronger elsewhere. Thus giving you a better chance to win.

Is there a drastic difference in liftstyle between making 30 or 15 million annually? I’m far from a millionaire, but I would assume once you’re rich you’re rich. 

Am I missing something?

They shouldn't have to do that. And yes, there is a significant difference between 30 and 15 million annually...namely 15 million, which over a 4 year deal suddenly becomes 60 million.  We have no idea the state of these players' financial affairs. It's easy to say "oh, that would be plenty enough for me", when we have no idea what is going on with their financial records. It amazes me how we hear about all the former players who are bankrupt and then still wonder why they may need or want the extra money. It's definitely not as simple as, "once you're rich, you're rich". 

34 minutes ago, Forge said:

They shouldn't have to do that. And yes, there is a significant difference between 30 and 15 million annually...namely 15 million, which over a 4 year deal suddenly becomes 60 million.  We have no idea the state of these players' financial affairs. It's easy to say "oh, that would be plenty enough for me", when we have no idea what is going on with their financial records. It amazes me how we hear about all the former players who are bankrupt and then still wonder why they may need or want the extra money. It's definitely not as simple as, "once you're rich, you're rich". 

Let's face it, the list of people who would actually take less $ than their market value is incredibly low.   People say "how much do you actually need" when the actual Q should be "would you really do that if you were given that choice?"   So many people say they would take 15M instead of 30M - but I suspect the actual # that follows through is much, much smaller.   

Plus, it's one thing if you are in your last year or two of your career, and you are looking for the ring - then taking that cut is a decision that has an immediate impact, with a window that's closing.   For a guy like Ryan, he's got 5-6 years left.   Asking him to give up 75-90M?     Frankly, I get why teams ask a guy to give up 2-3M instead of getting cut - because both sides are getting something (guy who gets cut late often doesn't make nearly as much in the open market).   Even a guy like Brees, he only has 2-3 years at most of peak production, maybe shorter, so asking him to take 2 years of cuts (his recent 2-year deal was a probable 8-10M total discount), it's likely his last chance.  

Finally, we're talking about a sport where the owners are accumulating wealth in a team's net worth by the billions now.   The CBA is so owner-team friendly, I have no problem with players looking for the best $ deal around - so long as they aren't just chasing the $ and hurting their chances at longevity (signing with the wrong fit for 1-2M more but shortening one's career lifespan or future market value).   I will salute any player who takes a cut to help get guys in - but it's not an expectation, nor should it be.    

55 minutes ago, Forge said:

I posted that under the assumption that quarterbacks have some semblance of financial responsibility. I also think it's extremely unlikely Ryan is in some kind of financial crisis or debt. But you're right, we don't know for sure. 

Again, I don't see a major difference in lifestyle to justify needing to be the highest paid position player in the league, when being the 5th highest (for example, hypothetically speaking) paid position player still makes you obscenely wealthy and gives you a football advantage. I don't think countering your financial irresponsibility with even more money is a tenable solution. Nor do I think Ryan is somehow heightening his financial security in the event of bankruptcy by trying to gouge the Falcons for as much money as possible. But again, this is just conjecture.

22 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Let's face it, the list of people who would actually take less $ than their market value is incredibly low.   People say "how much do you actually need" when the actual Q should be "would you really do that if you were given that choice?"   So many people say they would take 15M instead of 30M - but I suspect the actual # that follows through is much, much smaller.   

Plus, it's one thing if you are in your last year or two of your career, and you are looking for the ring - then taking that cut is a decision that has an immediate impact, with a window that's closing.   For a guy like Ryan, he's got 5-6 years left.   Asking him to give up 75-90M?     Frankly, I get why teams ask a guy to give up 2-3M instead of getting cut - because both sides are getting something (guy who gets cut late often doesn't make nearly as much in the open market).   Even a guy like Brees, he only has 2-3 years at most of peak production, maybe shorter, so asking him to take 2 years of cuts (his recent 2-year deal was a probable 8-10M total discount), it's likely his last chance.  

Finally, we're talking about a sport where the owners are accumulating wealth in a team's net worth by the billions now.   The CBA is so owner-team friendly, I have no problem with players looking for the best $ deal around - so long as they aren't just chasing the $ and hurting their chances at longevity (signing with the wrong fit for 1-2M more but shortening one's career lifespan or future market value).   I will salute any player who takes a cut to help get guys in - but it's not an expectation, nor should it be.    

Try not to get too wrapped up in the 15 million annually part of my post. I'm not saying the pay cut has to be 50% annually or you're being selfish. But why not settle at 23m, 25m, heck 29m? Why always chase the highest paid slot? 

EDIT: I also just realized this has been discussed many times throughout the thread. My bad.

Its easy enough to get sucked into the More, More, More !!! mantra on these contracts.

And with both an Agent and a Union involved, its quite the show for the content-starved media who love to trumpet these ever-increasing deals

For a little perspective:

A mere $ 5 million in the bank nets out about $ 15, 000 per month for life... without ever touching the principal. That's truly a lifetime scholarship

If you can't make that work, then the real issue isn't how much you earn....:)  

For a little more perspective, an interesting calculator to play around with:

http://www.globalrichlist.com/

Archived