MCU: The Rankings

The Gnat

I know some people have talked about their rankings in different threads but I thought it would be fun to do with Infinity War coming out to rate 1-19. I will have the full list in this post and then do my own rankings after much soul searching.

Iron Man
The Incredible Hulk
Iron Man 2
Thor
Captain America: The First Avenger
The Avengers
Iron Man 3
Thor: The Dark World
Captain America: Winter Soldier
Guardians of the Galaxy
Avengers: Age of Ultron
Ant-Man
Captain America: Civil War
Doctor Strange
Guardians of the Galaxy: Vol 2
Spider-Man: Homecoming
Thor: Ragnorok
Black Panther
Avengers: Infinity War

How would you rank them?

1. Avengers: Infinity War
2. Thor: Ragnorok
3. Guardians of the Galaxy
4. The Avengers
5. Iron Man
6. Thor
7. Spider-Man: Homecoming
8. Black Panther
9. Doctor Strange
10. Ant-Man
11. Captain America: Winter Soldier
12. Guardians of the Galaxy: Vol 2
13. Iron Man 3
14. Avengers: Age of Ultron
15. Captain America: Civil War
16. Iron Man 2
17. Captain America: The First Avenger
18. Thor: The Dark World

Haven't see: The Incredible Hulk

These rankings are based on entertainment value for me. I still believe Winter Soldier is the best movie out of the bunch.

1. Civil War

2. Thor: Ragnorok

3. Infinity War

4. Winter Soldier

5. Avengers

6. GotG 1

7. Iron Man

8. GotG 2

9. Black Panther

10. Spiderman Homecoming

11. Doctor Strange

12. Antman

13. Age of Ultron

14. Captain America: First Avenger

15. Iron Man 3

16. Iron Man 2

17. Thor

18. Thor: Dark World

19. Incredible Hulk

Off the top of my head:

OUTSTANDING - THE BIG 5 (can watch these over & over)

1.  Infinity Wars (recency bias, I fully admit)

2.  Winter Soldier (just the best story all-around.   The most complete single-character centric tale told).

3.  GOTG (just when you thought it was impossible to make oddball characters that the mainstream population had never heard of - never doubt the MCU).

4.  Avengers  (the first ensemble piece that was actually good.  Loki, Coulson & Stark's sacrifice, the conflict and the greatness.  Can watch this any night and enjoy it).

5.   Black Panther (wonder if recency bias will push this to the next tier with time, but for now, Killmonger, Shuri, T'Challah, and that great score...gotta be there, but unlike the critics, no way it's higher than any of the other 4).

MODERATE GAP

REALLY GOOD TO GREAT

6.   Iron Man 

7.   Thor: Ragnarok

8.    Spiderman

9.   Civil War

10.  Captain America

11.  Thor

12.  GOTG2

As you can see, I'm a sucker for origin stories - GOTG2 is the first sequel besides Winter Soldier that really grabbed me.    I have to put Iron Man up there, because it was such a breakthrough achievement - until then, other than Batman & Sam Raimi's Spiderman 2, comic movies were awful.   And a "B-list" talent like Iron Man? Come on, never work....until it did.   CA & Thor's origin stories actually improve with time, and especially realizing the impact we see with Bucky later in Winter Soldier, and the PTSD-like issues Cap faces early in Avengers 1.  Thor: Ragnarok's turnaround from the worst MCU movie around was stunning.   Hemsworth was hinting at the greatness we saw in Infinity Wars here.  

Civil War really starts to fade upon re-watches.   The ensemble scope was amazing, and it was great to add BP/Spidey, and that airport scene was amazing.  The rest, though, wears down with time.   

SMALL GAP

GOOD (but novelty really fades with time)

14.  Ant-Man  (good solid fun.   Great light movie.   Frankly, other than a limited role in Civil War, though, not much impact at all.   Hopefully Ant Man & The Wasp changes this.   It was well done, so I can't ding it, but I can't put in the GREAT list, either).  

15.  Dr. Strange  (very well done, solid, but it's just a hard character to get into.  The crucial role he plays in Infinity Wars might make the origin piece move up with time, especially given how outstanding Cumberbatch was in nailing the character the 2nd time around in IW.  Will need to rewatch eventually).

MODERATE GAP

MEH
(Did not live up to expectations)

15.   Age of Ultron  (So disappointing.   So bloated.  Ultron so 2-dimensional   Vision/Maximoff and the Banner/Romanov relationship were the only 2 saving graces.   This is the one movie I tell newbies they have to force their way through if they want to understand canon and arc progression, but it's the lest enjoyable, as #16-19 are all unnecessary to understand the MCU lead-up to Infinity Wars, this one is).

16.  Iron Man 2 (The first misstep IMO in a great run in Phase I, as Hulk wasn't designed in this run.   Rourke?   Ugh.   Justin Hammer?  God). 

17.  Iron Man 3 (Mandarin as an actor?   Ugh.   Got way too wrapped up in CGI and the tech.   Pepper as the Deux Ex?   Nice twist, but didn't really grab me.  Stark was the best thing in those 2 movies, but pretty much it, and it wasn't breaking new ground.  Frankly, pretty forgettable)

18.  The Incredible Hulk (this is what older hero movies were like best-case.   Still flawed in a big way, although it got a lot of negativity that was undeserved.   Still, I wish Marvel had the rights for a standalone, they could have done such a better job, especially with the Black Hat development, which was OMG-level badness.   Still, I liked Hulk himself, so can't put this at the bottom, which truly belongs with...)

BIG GAP

WHY, MARVEL, WHY?  AWFUL

19.  Thor 2 (In a class by itself of badness.  So disappointing.   One of the few movies I tell newbies they can skip, other than to realize that Jane Foster leaves after this one.  Hemsworth was decent, Denning was funny...god, hard to remember anything else nice to say - the fact that Ragnarok had to take 15 mins to undo all the badness that Thor 2 ended with, well, that's telling).

That was fun - no doubt, with time the list will change somewhat (Black Panther might move down, for sure, Strange could move up.  I doubt those bottom 5 will move at all lol). 

GENRE CLASSICS

1. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
  2. Avengers: Infinity War
  3. The Avengers
  4. Guardians of the Galaxy

GREAT MOVIES
  5. Thor: Ragnarok
  6. Captain America: Civil War
  7. Iron Man
  8. Dr Strange
  9. Guardians of the Galaxy: Vol 2
  10. Black Panther

VERY GOOD MOVIES
  11. Thor
  12. Ant-Man
  13. Spider-Man: Homecoming
  14. Captain America: The First Avenger

JUST SOLID
  15. Avengers: Age of Ultron
  16. Iron Man 2
  17. Iron Man 3

MEH
  18. The Incredible Hulk

BAD
  19. Thor: The Dark World

I'm putting together a composite to see what the averages are, and thus far we have Infinity War leading the way and a three way tie for 2nd with The Avengers, Guardians of the Galaxy, and Thor: Ragnorok

1. Captain America: Winter Soldier
2. Avengers: Infinity War
3. Iron Man
4. Guardians of the Galaxy
5. The Avengers
6. Black Panther
7. Civil War
8. Doctor Strange
9. Thor
10. Captain America: First Avenger
11. Age of Ultron
12. Ant-man
13. GOTG 2
14. Ironman 2
15. Thor: The Dark World
16. Ironman 3

Haven't seen Hulk, Spiderman, or Ragnarok yet.

1 hour ago, The Gnat said:

11. Captain America: Winter Soldier

Why so low on Winter Soldier? IMO that's the best out of all and it's not really that close, even as good as the others are. That movie is just amazing.

1 minute ago, JonStark said:

Why so low on Winter Soldier? IMO that's the best out of all and it's not really that close, even as good as the others are. That movie is just amazing.

I'm not a big Captain America fan at all, so anything starring him isn't going to be that highly ranked. I might rank it slightly higher if I had seen it more recently, but it's also speaking to how well I like basically every Marvel movie.

Looking at my list again, I think it's that I love the others so much that none of them are bad, it's just which ones I like more, and that probably comes down to me not liking Captain America super well as a character.

The Incredible Hulk
Thor: Ragnorok
Ant-Man
Guardians of the Galaxy
Iron Man
The Avengers
Thor
Captain America: The First Avenger
Doctor Strange
Iron Man 2
Avengers: Age of Ultron
Iron Man 3
Thor: The Dark World

Man. Mine are waaaaay different than everyone else.

Haven't seen-
Black Panther

Updated leaders (going with average now instead of point total since there are enough missing movies now)

Thor: Ragnorak
Guardians of the Galaxy
The Avengers
Iron Man
Black Panther

That's the current composite top 10

1.  Captain America: The Winter Soldier