Packers Off-season Mini-Camp/Training Camp Discussion Thread

51 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

Odd, I was told by @Krauser Wilkerson sucked based off on play so does this one play mean he’s good now? ;)

Don't call me out on your forum. I don't post here.

I didn't say Wilkerson "sucked based off on play". I posted a video by Brian Baldinger, which included 5 of Wilkerson's plays from the Steelers game: 

Even then, I don't think Wilkerson "sucks" (using your word). I do think he needs to play a lot better than he has the last couple of years (since his injury, really) in order to make the "added a former All Pro" impact his signing was expected to have on the Packers defense. Wilkerson might still be capable of playing at an All Pro level, but he hasn't come close to that yet, from what I saw in the Steelers game (haven't had a chance to watch the Raiders game just highlights). 

If you want to debate someone on your forum about how great Wilkerson is going to be because of the play Ben Fennell posted, I suggest you tag AlexGreen -- he'd probably even breakdown more than one play for you. Or you could go on twitter and try to explain to Baldy that he's wrong about Wilk.

Since I'm here anyway, I'll say I've been impressed with what I've seen from Pettine's pass rush scheme so far, and the two rookie CBs look great. If Alexander and Jackson carry through with their preseason form, the Packers defense will get a lot better in a hurry. I don't expect Wilkerson to move the needle much, and still think edge rushers are a weakness (especially factoring in age and injury), but with Clark and Daniels in the middle and Pettine scheming up blitzes, they should be at least OK. I've been saying for some time now that the Packers defense has lacked blue chip talent (aside from Daniels and more recently Clark), but adding a couple of difference-makers at corner will go a long way to fixing that.

I think we're a little snakebitten by all the CB injuries over the past few years. The reality is, Patrick Peterson has been returning punts his whole career. Adoree' Jackson and Jabril Peppers were 1st-rounders who returned punts last year. Charles Woodson returned a bunch of punts for us in his first couple years here.

5 hours ago, Stevein2012 said:

If McCarthy plays any starters this week who aren't currently fighting for a starting spot then he sucks.

If he plays any of last year's starters this week we should assume that player's job might be jeopardy unless he performs well Thursday night.

45 minutes ago, Krauser said:

I didn't say Wilkerson "sucked based off on play". I posted a video by Brian Baldinger, which included 5 of Wilkerson's plays from the Steelers game: 

If you want to debate someone on your forum about how great Wilkerson is going to be because of the play Ben Fennell posted, I suggest you tag AlexGreen -- he'd probably even breakdown more than one play for you. Or you could go on twitter and try to explain to Baldy that he's wrong about Wilk.

Loosen up a little. I'm obviously joking around and being sarcastic. Wasn't looking for a "debate" on one play.

2 hours ago, Krauser said:

Even then, I don't think Wilkerson "sucks" (using your word). I do think he needs to play a lot better than he has the last couple of years (since his injury, really) in order to make the "added a former All Pro" impact his signing was expected to have on the Packers defense. Wilkerson might still be capable of playing at an All Pro level, but he hasn't come close to that yet, from what I saw in the Steelers game (haven't had a chance to watch the Raiders game just highlights). 

Since I'm here anyway, I'll say I've been impressed with what I've seen from Pettine's pass rush scheme so far, and the two rookie CBs look great. If Alexander and Jackson carry through with their preseason form, the Packers defense will get a lot better in a hurry. I don't expect Wilkerson to move the needle much, and still think edge rushers are a weakness (especially factoring in age and injury), but with Clark and Daniels in the middle and Pettine scheming up blitzes, they should be at least OK. I've been saying for some time now that the Packers defense has lacked blue chip talent (aside from Daniels and more recently Clark), but adding a couple of difference-makers at corner will go a long way to fixing that.

He @'d least so you could defend yourself haha

More on punt returning for the Packers via PackersNews:

"Alexander might be groomed as a punt returner down the line, but his debut might have given the Packers enough pause to stick with veteran Trevor Davis.

Alexander got five opportunities to field a punt Friday in Oakland, and he caught only one. Special teams coordinator Ron Zook said the rookie should have caught three of the punts. One punt Alexander didn’t catch ended up as a touchback, but it could’ve been a fumble. The punt bounced at the 13-yard line, close to Alexander’s legs. “We’ve got to catch all the balls,” Zook said.

Alexander said he wants to return punts for the Packers, but he’s behind Davis at the moment. Before he can return punts, Alexander will first have to catch them.

“He’ll learn,” Zook said. “He can’t let the ball hit the ground. All kind of the growing pains that Trevor went through. Those are things that you’ve got to go through with inexperience.”

So that's yet another reason why a PR will field a punt inside the 10 or the 5....to keep it from bouncing off a team mate and turning into a disaster

29 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

More on punt returning for the Packers via PackersNews:

"Alexander might be groomed as a punt returner down the line, but his debut might have given the Packers enough pause to stick with veteran Trevor Davis.

Alexander got five opportunities to field a punt Friday in Oakland, and he caught only one. Special teams coordinator Ron Zook said the rookie should have caught three of the punts. One punt Alexander didn’t catch ended up as a touchback, but it could’ve been a fumble. The punt bounced at the 13-yard line, close to Alexander’s legs. “We’ve got to catch all the balls,” Zook said.

Alexander said he wants to return punts for the Packers, but he’s behind Davis at the moment. Before he can return punts, Alexander will first have to catch them.

“He’ll learn,” Zook said. “He can’t let the ball hit the ground. All kind of the growing pains that Trevor went through. Those are things that you’ve got to go through with inexperience.”

So that's yet another reason why a PR will field a punt inside the 10 or the 5....to keep it from bouncing off a team mate and turning into a disaster

I don't remember them all but the first one Alexander did a fine job selling the catch and then blocking the closest defender so the ball could get into the endzone. 

I think sometimes, rarely, you might have to field a punt inside (but close to) the 10 if you're worried about you own players being around but inside the 5, you're letting that bounce every time and forcing the other team to make a play to down it. Normally your own players should be cleared out of that area anyways to avoid potential situations where the ball could touch them. 

58 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

I don't remember them all but the first one Alexander did a fine job selling the catch and then blocking the closest defender so the ball could get into the endzone. 

I think sometimes, rarely, you might have to field a punt inside (but close to) the 10 if you're worried about you own players being around but inside the 5, you're letting that bounce every time and forcing the other team to make a play to down it. Normally your own players should be cleared out of that area anyways to avoid potential situations where the ball could touch them. 

Screen_Shot_2018_08_28_at_6_00_18_PM.png

This is the play you're referring to. In real time I thought it was a crafty move, too, but it seems it might have been one of the ones Zook was referring to where he'd rather have the returner catch it to avoid it bouncing off an unsuspecting coverage man (especially those running downfield or with their backs turned).

Archived