Packers Off-season Mini-Camp/Training Camp Discussion Thread

2 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

I’m higher on Cobb than most. love him and don’t think he’s overpaid ( based on the 2018 WR FA contracts)... but it depends what you’re trading him for. Do I trade Cobb for a package Mack? Yep, absolutely.

If he’s apart of a Mack deal, sure, of course. Idt that’s realistic though.

Unless it’s for a 1st, maybe second , I want Cobb ( and the comp pick after this year) he’s gonna help us win this year.

28 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Hello ?

I'm sure every team shops everyone on their last year of a deal. Matthews, HHCD, I'm sure we'd trade them too if we come out looking good. We're not shopping Cobb to get him off the roster. Our WR group would instantly fall to bottom 5.

3 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I'm sure every team shops everyone on their last year of a deal. Matthews, HHCD, I'm sure we'd trade them too if we come out looking good. We're not shopping Cobb to get him off the roster. Our WR group would instantly fall to bottom 5.

Stop. It would not...this corps might not even be bottom 5 without Adams...

9 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Stop. It would not...this corps might not even be bottom 5 without Adams...

Adams, Allison, Kumerow, Moore, St. Brown, MVS.

3 2nd day picks that haven't played a down, a UDFA on his 4th team that's never caught a pass, a UDFA who tops out around 4.6 and Adams. Don't know what league that isn't bottom 5.

22 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

3 2nd day picks that haven't played a down, a UDFA on his 4th team that's never caught a pass, a UDFA who tops out around 4.6 and Adams. Don't know what league that isn't bottom 5.

I could find 5 worse than that.

34 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

GB has the "supposed" best QB in football and a top level HC....a highly successful one at that.   They should not need a top tier pass catching group to make the offense work.  

On 8/21/2018 at 6:34 AM, AlexGreen#20 said:

Just looking for another pure anchor. Clark is one, and the rest of the group as of now is a bit lighter than I would prefer. Just not sure I trust Adams right now to be able to hold it down. Mbu is a pure role player but he does have that going for him. I have no issue if you wanted to swap out Looney or really any of them on the DL except for Sheehy and that has less to do with my thinking any of them are a better pure talent than Sheehy and more my thinking that all three of Looney, Sheehy, and Lancaster all are going to need a year before they're ready to contribute meaningfully. I think Looney grades a touch higher in the pressure package and Lancaster is just a bigger body. 

I just think Odom is a bit more ready as of now. I'm waiting for the inevitable Clay/Perry injury and Odom's immediate contributor advantage beats out Donnerson's athleticism if Donnerson isn't going to be a ST stand out. This is a spot I leave up to Zook. If he wants to take Greer Martini in this spot, I let him do so. 

I think a good case could be made that Waters and Pipkins grade out the same as of now. I just think Waters has a bit more upside as he's still learning the spot. Of course you could have made the same argument with Rollins and it never materialized. Really I probably let Zook make the call on that spot. He might prefer Rollins. 

I've never seen Whitehead as anything more than a pure ST guy. You feel better about him if he has to play, next to HaHa who can hold his hand to some extent, but he's just not all the way there all the time. I don't feel good about it, but I can live with Evans playing defensive snaps and his ST value is just as high as Whitehead's.

Nice, thoughtful analysis.  Gets down to some scouting values for the staff; are you looking for a run-anchor or more pressure?  Tangent:  had read some favorable comments re Looney early, but also thought somebody was pretty negative about his play following Steelers?  

OLB, again what does staff want?  Odom probably has more ready-now set-the-edge run-defender capacity.  Donnerson quickness, ST, and developmental potential.  I'm inclined towards the higher long-term potential, but I'm not MM; and since Donnerson should easily clear to PS, you could probable keep both the Now and the Futures guys.)  

Whitehead/Evans, my naive perception is opposite yours:  Evans as ST-only, with Whitehead a better long-term snaps candidate?  But what do I know, and maybe it's just because Evans problems in coverage has been exposed.  Again, could come down to how MM, Whitt, and Pettine evaluate those two.  But I'd opt toward Whitehead.  

Rollins, Waters, Pipkens, my perception (again, uninformed) is that Rollins has the least speed and potential as a coverage guy.  So my Buildican preference is to go with one of the younger two with more future upside.  But, again maybe I'm more doubtful on Rollins because he's been exposed on the field; perhaps Whitt has seen enough of all three of them to know that Pipkens and Waters have no more upside than Rollins does, beats me?  Waters is only a year younger, Pipkens two.  As always, comes down to coaches (and perhaps Gute's) internal evaluation.  

https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2018/08/22/intriguing-robert-tonyan-giving-packers-tough-decision-tight-end/1068322002/

Tonyan.  Says he's 250.  

“When you go to OTAs, (you see) this guy can really move and this guy has a nice frame and he has length and all those good attributes that we like to throw around,” offensive coordinator Joe Philbin said. “But he’s not backed down from the physical aspect of the game, and I think he’s made the most out of his opportunities."

19 minutes ago, squire12 said:

GB has the "supposed" best QB in football and a top level HC....a highly successful one at that.   They should not need a top tier pass catching group to make the offense work.  

I don't expect the defense to be overwhelming, or the running game.  Hopefully the defense reaches or surpassed league-average; and hopefully the running game will be solid.  

But it seems to me that for the team to win big, they need the offense to be REALLY good, not just barely top-10 or whatever.  And for the offense to be REALLY good, they need the passing game to be elite.  

So I guess I do kinda think they need at least a good receiving group, not just mediocre, to become really a Super Bowl type team?  

I thought it was interesting that in Rodgers interview a day or two back, he used the term "explosive" a couple of time. 

"Explosive" is not a word that really comes to mind for an offense running Williams up the middle; spreading out throws to Allison, Cobb, and Lewis; and having Graham and Adams as it's big-play "explosion" threats.

I'm sure it's just wishful thinking, (maybe on Rodgers part); but I wonder if the three rookies give Rodgers some ideas of perhaps some more explosive possibilities down the road?   

Archived