ECF: Boston vs Cleveland, the actual NBA finals

Troy Brown

Eastern Conference Champions  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins the Eastern Conference?

• Celtics
    • Cavaliers

The Celtics have that feel of a great team without a great player. Kind of like the Spurs team that played the heat in back to back. They didnt have any great players but played such great team ball. Of course they were loaded with HOF players, but not in their prime. Also reminds me of the Detroit Pistons team that won a title. 

But none of them had to play the Warriors. 

Still for Boston to add Irving and Hayward next year and the Kings 1st round pick in 2019 (top1 protected), they are set up better than anyone. If they can draft Horford's eventual replacement with that pick, they are going to be both currently loaded and future loaded. 

The warriors and Celtics are perfect examples of how System, good coaching, great draft scouting 

1 minute ago, seminoles1 said:

JR giving Boston a 5 point play completely deflated Cleveland.

You're right, but still.  They need to try.  This is the second biggest game of their season and they're just dogging it.  There was a stretch in the fourth quarter where the Celtics went cold, but the Cavs still half-arse on defense.  Lue is a deadweight, so unfortunately this is going to be on LeBron.  I want to see him actually give effort on defense.  I'm not talking he needs to lock someone down, but move on defense, rotate... TRY.  And LeBron needs to demand his teammates try on that end as well, but it all starts with him consistently trying.

5 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:

The Celtics have that feel of a great team without a great player. Kind of like the Spurs team that played the heat in back to back. They didnt have any great players but played such great team ball. Of course they were loaded with HOF players, but not in their prime. Also reminds me of the Detroit Pistons team that won a title. 

But none of them had to play the Warriors. 

Still for Boston to add Irving and Hayward next year and the Kings 1st round pick in 2019 (top1 protected), they are set up better than anyone. If they can draft Horford's eventual replacement with that pick, they are going to be both currently loaded and future loaded. 

The warriors and Celtics are perfect examples of how System, good coaching, great draft scouting 

Okay so, when the Kyrie Irving trade happened during the off-season, I argued with several people about how the Cavs got absolutely fleeced.  But one of my main points was how great of a coach Brad Stevens is and how he will take these young players and have them playing the right way.  He's so great and gets absolutely everything out of his players.  If many of these dudes were on different teams they wouldn't be anywhere near the impact players they are on this team.  That's one of the big reasons why I'm so high on Tatum.  Tatum is extremely talented, but the fact that he is being coached by a genius.... Oh man.  A lot of people compare Tatum's offensive skill set to Carmelo's, but he'll never be the extreme ball-stopper Carmelo was/is because Tatum has an elite coach.

31 minutes ago, showtime said:

I just can't get over the fact the Cavs were down by single digits in the fourth quarter and they gave up.  Literally standing around on defense.  I can't believe I saw that.  

Only a non Cavs fan would say this. You clearly haven't watched them this year at all, and probably didn't watch them much the last half of last year either to be honest. I remember saying the same thing around March of 2017, but now you more or less come to expect it. I blame coaching and an older roster. Lue allows it so it happens.

Just now, MWil23 said:

Only a non Cavs fan would say this. You clearly haven't watched them this year at all, and probably didn't watch them much the last half of last year either to be honest. I remember saying the same thing around March of 2017, but now you more or less come to expect it. I blame coaching and an older roster. Lue allows it so it happens.

I've seen it before, but this is the ECF against a team they can't just push around.  In last years postseason, they went a combined 12-1 in the eastern conference.  They were by far the best team in the conference last year, but you're right about their defense really going down hill during the second half of the regular season last season.

It is coaching.  Lue is such a terrible coach, but that's probably on LeBron as well.  I don't actually think LeBron wants to play for a really good/great coach anymore.  

2 minutes ago, showtime said:

Where are Mike Brown, Larry Hughes and Delonte West when you need them?

Last I heard, Delonte was hanging out with LeBron's mom somewhere. 

As for Mike Brown, the guy was a joke on offense, but man alive his teams could play defense and grab rebounds.

1 minute ago, MWil23 said:

As for Mike Brown, the guy was a joke on offense, but man alive his teams could play defense and grab rebounds.

The Cavs offense is a joke regardless lol.  But yea, Brown's teams played defense and they could always lean on that part of the game.  Brown is a much much better coach than Lue.  Of course, the person who probably wanted Lue over anyone was LeBron and for this very reason - he can essentially do whatever he wants and nobody is allowed to constantly check him.

A lot of this stuff (who the coach is, the players on the team) is in large part of LeBron's doing.  He helped make the bed he is currently laying in, but I still can't help but feel bad for him.

4 minutes ago, showtime said:

The Cavs offense is a joke regardless lol.  But yea, Brown's teams played defense and they could always lean on that part of the game.  Brown is a much much better coach than Lue.  Of course, the person who probably wanted Lue over anyone was LeBron and for this very reason - he can essentially do whatever he wants and nobody is allowed to constantly check him.

A lot of this stuff (who the coach is, the players on the team) is in large part of LeBron's doing.  He helped make the bed he is currently laying in, but I still can't help but feel bad for him.

I understand all of this, and to be honest, I really don't care, and here is why:

giphy.gif

The reality is, even if these moves weren't totally the right ones and their window slammed shut and we'll probably lose LeBron, he brought a title to Cleveland. That makes it worth it, period.

The Celtics aren't that great of a team on the road.  Having a guy like Kyrie on the road in huge games is where he would really shine.  Granted, the Celtics technically don't have to win on the road, but I think they need one of these next two to win the series.

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Offensively he did, but defensively dude was as bad as the rest. Maybe he doesn't have the energy to play at an high level on both ends, but that's why he should be in the post conserving some energy instead of running a thousand of high pick and rolls. Dude doesn't even rotate out to the three point line anymore. He misses not being able to guard guys like OG and Siakam. 

Celtics had trouble scoring every single time LeBron sat. That' How bad he was on defense last night. 

3 minutes ago, dante9876 said:

Celtics had trouble scoring every single time LeBron sat. That' How bad he was on defense last night. 

Not that I’m a fan of his, but Skieeeeeep Bayles today brought up how whoever LeBron was defending at any given point would just start going off because of the amount of open looks. LeBron is the offense, but his defense is shot and he’s as much a liability there as anyone if not more. If they do make a comeback, they’ll get smacked around by Golden State in a bad way. 

14 minutes ago, lancerman said:

Not that I’m a fan of his, but Skieeeeeep Bayles today brought up how whoever LeBron was defending at any given point would just start going off because of the amount of open looks. LeBron is the offense, but his defense is shot and he’s as much a liability there as anyone if not more. If they do make a comeback, they’ll get smacked around by Golden State in a bad way. 

Rozier had slowed down 11 out of his last 12 quarters. The one time he got it going was 3rd qtr, when lue put LeBron on him. 

I don't think the guy LeBron was guarding started going off. In fact, when he was guarding guys like Brown/Tatum/Morris, he held them in check. It's that when the ball gets moving and you have to rotate, he simply doesn't do it. His individual defense is fine. Skip Bayless is probably the last guy you ever want to quote when it comes to a LeBron related topic lol. But he is right about him not rotating at all. He didn't do it against Toronto either, but he also get away with it since they don't have the shooters that Boston does. 

One way Cleveland could get back in the game is have LeBron operate in the post and slow the game down. He could control the tempo from the post and will also limit the turnovers. I don't have the stats, but Celtics have to be KILLING the Cavs in transition points. If LeBron could slow the tempo down, and allow Hill to run a two man game with Love, then he will save a lot of energy that he could use on the defensive end. They have a chance to tie this up, but won't be easy. Celtics aren't showing these guys any respect, and why should they. 

Ainge needs to go all in on makin AD a Celtic. Some combination of Irving, SAC 1RD, Horford, maybe a 3rd team involved, would be enough imo.

Davis

Tatum

Hayward

Brown

Rozier

That team’s talent level is close to the Warriors, with better coaching and defense 

Archived