Lynn Dickey

66PinG

Lynn Dickey threw one of the most beautiful balls I have ever seen.  He was a phenomenal QB.  It wasn't the defense (all though that was also a problem)  it was the O-line that failed to give him any kind of protection.  Yes on a decent team he would have won at least 1 SB probably more.  Big fan of his.  

With today's surgeons and how surgeries go, he would have been healthier if he played nowadays. Our line back then was horrible. 7 step drop backs killed him, heck he'd be phenominal in today's game where qb's don't take half the pounding on the hard, blindside hits. Yeah he would still have been Dan Fouts at best with our porous defense back then. We wouldn't have won any rings with those defenses, actually worse than our past Dom Caper's defenses.

2 hours ago, 66PinG said:

With a top defense do you think he could have had a "better" career?

personally, I think he was at the very least a 1 SB quarterback. Maybe more..

what do you think?

cheers from Germany!!

Yeah .. maybe.  He also needed tip top protection, because he was a statue back there after some early career leg injuries.  He was a quality NFL qb for sure. 

Those Packer teams were not very good, but darned exciting with him at QB and the WR's, TE we had. Plus, Eddie Lee Ivory and Gerry Ellis at RB. Plenty of talent on offense, minus a pretty poor line and the defense only had the two DE's and Mike Douglass who were NFL worthy. I guess John Anderson was a pretty good player too. 

Dickey was a terrific QB- when healthy. That was his problem. I seem to recall that he got a broken leg that kept him out for almost two seasons on the last play of the last game of the year against Washington. Could he have been better on a better team? Sure, probably. As long as he could stay healthy. 

Was actually at the game where he broke his leg.  Milwaukee County stadium against the Rams.  Golf you forgot about Freddie Carr.  Remember him?  My favorite game of his was that Monday nighter against Washinton in '83.  

Dickey and Joe Namath were two QBs that had very special abilities in passing the football. Namath was on better teams which is why he won a SB and Dickey will be known forever as a great passer that never got to the big dance.

21 hours ago, Leader said:

Dickey had a special passing arm :)

The Packers agreed. They wistfully said that if they could graft Dickey's arm onto David Whitehurst's body, they'd have a really solid QB. 

On 5/17/2018 at 6:10 PM, Scoremore said:

Was actually at the game where he broke his leg.  Milwaukee County stadium against the Rams.  Golf you forgot about Freddie Carr.  Remember him?  My favorite game of his was that Monday nighter against Washinton in '83.  

Awesome clip - like walking down memory lane man.  I laughed at the end when the announcer said “Greatest game in Monday Night Football history!”  I guess right up until that game in 1983, it may have been!

On ‎5‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 9:36 AM, 66PinG said:

With a top defense do you think he could have had a "better" career?

personally, I think he was at the very least a 1 SB quarterback. Maybe more..

what do you think?

cheers from Germany!!

Always enjoyed watching him play.

Archived