Gambling could renew push for 18-game season

DigInBoys

15 hours ago, MathMan said:

especially coupled with an 18 game season where the divisions could get wrapped up quicker

Only way I could see an 18 game season working is if you increase the number of strength of schedule games so that third & fourth place teams play in a division play the third & fourth place teams in the intra-conference division they are not scheduled to play. Likewise, 1st & 2nd pairings.

As an example, if this was in place this year, the Redskins would play the not only the non-South 2017 3rd place teams (Packers and Cardinals) but also the non-South 2017 4th place teams (Bears and 49ers). The Giants would pick up games against the Packers and Cardinals. The Eagles would add the Lions and Seahawks, and the Cowboys would add the Vikings and Rams.

Of course, adding two more SoS games wouldn't do much to wrap up the divisions quicker. It also could make the lower tiebreakers (Strength of Victory, Strength of Schedule, Best combined ranking amongst points scored/allowed) come up more frequently for divisional teams.

15 hours ago, Broncofan said:

On a serious note, the first step to increase revenue - eliminate 1 preseason game, and extend the schedule to 18 weeks - with 2 weeks of byes per team, instead of 1.

It doesn't create extra games - but it creates an extra week of TV revenue, and of course, more interest per game.   

It doesn't add extra games played, and it doesn't shorten true offseason time.    It's a win-win for everyone IMO.

Of course, that's probably why it will never happen, either. 

This lowers the revenue since they get one less game to charge full price for to season ticket holders.

I'm in favor of it, but neither the owners nor the NFLPA would be on board (the owners due to lost revenue, players due to the effect lost revenue will have on the cap).

1 hour ago, Woz said:

This lowers the revenue since they get one less game to charge full price for to season ticket holders.

I'm in favor of it, but neither the owners nor the NFLPA would be on board (the owners due to lost revenue, players due to the effect lost revenue will have on the cap).

One less preseason game wouldn’t even come close to what they gain overall TV-wise.   TV revenue accounts for nearly 8B of the league’s revenues while direct sponsorship accounts for another 1B of the league’s 13-14B income.  

Ticket sales account for about 16-17 percent of revenue now.   Before the latest CBA it was 20+ percent.   TV, online & team sponsorship / merchandise are where the league sees the most growth potential (a big reason why they are always trying for new markets). 

An extra week of TV & online revenue will be worth way more than any loss in ticket revenue.  

FWIW the players might not even object to playing one more week if the total # reg. season games stays the same.   But if everyone wants a solution that doesn’t actually lengthen the season (and preserved player safety) that’s the only feasible one I see.  

18 games is going to wear players down more for the playoffs and shorten careers.

Increasing the amount of playoff teams is going to water down the postseason.    You dont need half the teams in the league making the playoffs.   The only reason people even suggest this is because, on occasion, a supposedly deserving team misses the playoffs.....while ignoring that, occasionally, a team that DOESNT really deserve to be there gets it....so yes, lets increase it to 16 teams.....we need more 7-9 teams in the playoffs, right?   That will improve the product.

The current setup is perfect. 

Im in favor of change....as long as it makes sense.

The only way ideas like those would make sense is if you added like, 4 more teams to the league.

With 32 teams....12 playoff teams and 16 games is perfect, and shouldnt be messed with.

Sixteen games is fine. The sustainability of continuous play in football is already becoming an issue all the way down to the high school level (although I personally think this is somewhat exaggerated in the media), and this wouldn't help. I can understand why the nfl brass might find the idea of an eighteen game season appealing, but it would be a tone-deaf and ill-timed move from a p.r. perspective.

Plus, you know, it would really suck for the players.

17 hours ago, Broncofan said:

One less preseason game wouldn’t even come close to what they gain overall TV-wise.   TV revenue accounts for nearly 8B of the league’s revenues while direct sponsorship accounts for another 1B of the league’s 13-14B income.  

Ticket sales account for about 16-17 percent of revenue now.   Before the latest CBA it was 20+ percent.   TV, online & team sponsorship / merchandise are where the league sees the most growth potential (a big reason why they are always trying for new markets). 

An extra week of TV & online revenue will be worth way more than any loss in ticket revenue.  

FWIW the players might not even object to playing one more week if the total # reg. season games stays the same.   But if everyone wants a solution that doesn’t actually lengthen the season (and preserved player safety) that’s the only feasible one I see.  

You arent adding any revenue.  Each.team currently plays 20 games in 21 weeks with every game on tv.  Under his proposal that would drop to 19 games in 21 weeks.  Hence it would be a revenue loss.  Hes taking a week from the preseason and adding it to the regular season in time, but subtracting one game.  In other words its bad.

1 hour ago, Superman(DH23) said:

You arent adding any revenue.  Each.team currently plays 20 games in 21 weeks with every game on tv.  Under his proposal that would drop to 19 games in 21 weeks.  Hence it would be a revenue loss.  Hes taking a week from the preseason and adding it to the regular season in time, but subtracting one game.  In other words its bad.

Viewership is significantly higher for a regular season game.   The 2016-18 preseason games pulled in a 0.4 - 1.8 rating with the meaningless ones being the lowest.    The regular season games pulled in 4.8 - 12+ ratings and the low end ones were those aired on NFLN or ESPN only.  

Viewer ratings are what drive TV revenue.   Preseason games get 1/3 - 1/10 the ratings of a reg season game. The math is pretty clear 1 more regular season game is going to generate way more revenue than losing 1 preseason game, given that TV/online is the big meal ticket for revenue.  

Now obviously this extra $ wouldn’t be generated until it’s time to negotiate a new TV / online deal, but that’s the time to propose the change.     And again, the NFLPA might not even object to keeping it at 4 preseason games (since the 4th rarely plays any starters),  the bigger issue is not adding more reg. season games but somehow adding overall revenue (which this would do).    But if keeping the overall schedule and not shortening the offseason is crucial to the NFLPA along with player safety, that’s the only feasible solution on the table.  

23 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

With 32 teams....12 playoff teams and 16 games is perfect, and shouldnt be messed with.

What makes these "perfect" beyond it being the current number for each?

I feel I can make a pretty strong case for 12 playoff teams and 16 games both being imperfect but I look forward to your explanation of why they are perfect first. 

Interesting. I'd kinda like an 18 game season, but things would have to happen for me to fully endorse it. This includes the following.

Larger gameday rosters.
Larger active rosters.
Increase rookie salaries by 25%.
Increase vet minimum salaries by 25%.
Somehow increase the benefit packages for current and former players.
For each franchise, designate one team as an interconference rival and one other team as an intraconference rival game. Make sure these games are played every year. Example: Cowboys play Saints (intraconference) and Texans (interconference) every year.

9 minutes ago, the lone star said:

For each franchise, designate one team as an interconference rival and one other team as an intraconference rival game. Make sure these games are played every year. Example: Cowboys play Saints (intraconference) and Texans (interconference) every year.

Couldn't disagree with this more, the best reason to move to 18 games is so you can get rid of the unbalanced schedules. 18 games means every team could play their division opponents twice (6 games), every team in 2 divisions of their conference (8 games), and 1 division from the other conference (4 games).  You could even set it up so with the exception of interconference games everyone has the same home/away schedules. Every team in each division plays the same opponents, no more easier/harder schedules.

A designated rival is a terrible reason to move to 18 games, makes far more sense under the current 16 game schedule (still a bad idea IMO however). 

Archived