Deshone Kizer Appreciation Thread

FGK

34 minutes ago, freakygeniuskid said:

I don't think that's remotely fair. Most of those guys ended up being limited by things outside of their mental game. Weeden is a statue, Quinn's arm fell apart for no apparent reason, and Colt had a noodle arm from the beginning. Johnny is the only one you can point to and say, "that dude was not mentally prepared for this stuff."

Like, I'm not 100% sold on Kizer being the future, but this is a legit compliment from one of the greatest players in franchise history, who isn't one to gush for no reason, and there's no need to diss it in order to continue being on the fence about Kizer.

Quinn's arm did not fall apart, he never had an arm.  His passes were atrocious even in college.  I have no idea why on earth he was considered a round 1 prospect.  I have seen several punters put a tighter spin on the ball than Quinn ever could, and with more accuracy.  McCoy is the only one that actually was even semi prepared mentally of that groupl

4 hours ago, DizzyDean said:

Quinn's arm did not fall apart, he never had an arm.  His passes were atrocious even in college.  I have no idea why on earth he was considered a round 1 prospect.  I have seen several punters put a tighter spin on the ball than Quinn ever could, and with more accuracy.  McCoy is the only one that actually was even semi prepared mentally of that groupl

Elite franchise QB good looks and the school he went to.

23 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

Yeah it is an obvious mistake but if that situation happened again are any of us strong enough to turn it down? I doubt it.

Why wouldn't you?  I wanted to go genocidal when we picked Quinn because... call me crazy, but being able to actually throw a football is a pretty big deal if you want to play QB in the NFL.  Quinn never could, even in college.  If I see another media hyped QB playing for the fighting irish, that can't throw a football, then no, I will be turning that down 10 out of 10 times.   Luckily, Kizer can throw a ball so there is hope for him.  Quinn, nope.

48 minutes ago, Aztec Hammer said:

Like the old meatloaf song lyric said, 2 out of 3 ain't bad.  In the case of Quinn though, it was atrocious.  Good looks, check, fighting irish, check, Elite franchise QB, well no, he never had a shot at that, again its that whole throwing the football thing that he never could really do.

I think a big part of it was the Charlie Weise hype machine, he still hat that Bill Billichick midas touch effect attached to him.

It was very telling, I remember shortly after the draft, Quinn was a guest on one of those morning talk shows.  They were out on the street and had a tire set up.  Quinn was 10 or 15 yards away, I don't remember which.  They wanted him to put on a demonstration.  He threw a few times and missed the tire entirely every time, not just the whole in the tire, but the entire freaking tire.

1 hour ago, DizzyDean said:

Why wouldn't you?  I wanted to go genocidal when we picked Quinn because... call me crazy, but being able to actually throw a football is a pretty big deal if you want to play QB in the NFL.  Quinn never could, even in college.  If I see another media hyped QB playing for the fighting irish, that can't throw a football, then no, I will be turning that down 10 out of 10 times.   Luckily, Kizer can throw a ball so there is hope for him.  Quinn, nope.

Oh it's easy to say that here but if you are out at a night club and he looks you in the eyes you know how it would end.

16 hours ago, Aztec Hammer said:

All kidding aside and I just started posting on here so I never gave my opinion on the Quinn draft but I never viewed him as a round one qb.  To me he always looked like he struggled throwing, that it was difficult to make routine throws.   

2 hours ago, Powertower said:

All kidding aside and I just started posting on here so I never gave my opinion on the Quinn draft but I never viewed him as a round one qb.  To me he always looked like he struggled throwing, that it was difficult to make routine throws.   

You and I, the casual fan, could see it.  I have no doubt that the very savage Phil Savage could also see it.  However, the hot seat was hot enough that he bit the bullet and wasted resources to trade up to draft the hyped QB in hopes of buying an extra year.

18 hours ago, DizzyDean said:

Like the old meatloaf song lyric said, 2 out of 3 ain't bad.  In the case of Quinn though, it was atrocious.  Good looks, check, fighting irish, check, Elite franchise QB, well no, he never had a shot at that, again its that whole throwing the football thing that he never could really do.

I think a big part of it was the Charlie Weise hype machine, he still hat that Bill Billichick midas touch effect attached to him.

It was very telling, I remember shortly after the draft, Quinn was a guest on one of those morning talk shows.  They were out on the street and had a tire set up.  Quinn was 10 or 15 yards away, I don't remember which.  They wanted him to put on a demonstration.  He threw a few times and missed the tire entirely every time, not just the whole in the tire, but the entire freaking tire.

To clarify, I meant his looks were elite and franchise calibre. Not that he was an elite prospect.

Though the fact I have to explain my joke means it was rubbish. :(

Thanks man

2 hours ago, Aztec Hammer said:

To clarify, I meant his looks were elite and franchise calibre. Not that he was an elite prospect.

Though the fact I have to explain my joke means it was rubbish. :(

Thanks man

Don't think about the 1% who didn't get it, think about the 99% who did. Sometimes I tell jokes and 0% get it but I'm still satisfied if I get it. If I don't get it and neither does anyone else then sometimes I'll consider that joke a possible failure.

I am starting to get concerned gentlemen.  I see Kizer regressing rather than progressing.  Although I can not blame him.  The team is letting him down with drops and poor effort constantly.  He is looking very rattled though and not making very good decisions.  End of the game today for example, our only shot was a hail mary and then a FG try, and he kept trying to go short.  As long as the skill positions are sucking mightily, I really may seriously consider benching Kizer as to not permanently destroy his confidence.

pass-chart_KIZ080286_2017-reg-3_15062892

Important note when cross comparing QBs. Kizer threw 10+ yards down the field 18 times today by my count. For comparison, Alex Smith did so once, and Carson Wentz did so five whole times.

He's doing fine. Drops and lazy routes (cough screw you Britt cough) hurt, as did being down 21 by the mid second quarter. He did much better as the game went along with getting rid of it quickly. The reason the underneath stuff was so open late was partially because they really have to respect the arm.

Wasn't a great week, wasn't a bad one. Keep plugging and try to figure out the WR issue.

Archived