Top 10 NFL rookies that will exceed expectations?

Luckycolts

3 hours ago, Techbert said:

cuz the Birds are going to send Julio a message

How are they going to do that? You can't just not throw the ball to your best player. And you can't keep him off the field without losing the entire team. I think Ridley is going to have the best season too, but absolutely not because the Falcons want to "send a message" by not throwing to their best WR. That message would be "we don't care about winning."

4 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

How are they going to do that? You can't just not throw the ball to your best player. And you can't keep him off the field without losing the entire team. I think Ridley is going to have the best season too, but absolutely not because the Falcons want to "send a message" by not throwing to their best WR. That message would be "we don't care about winning."

That's not the only way to send a message.

You can showcase Ridley as an alternative to Julio without cannibalizing the tosses in Julio's direction. Accelerate your trust in him. Costs a few touches for Sanu, Hardy, Hooper, and Freeman, but no one cares.

And they won't overthrow in Jones' direction anymore, which the team is prone to do.

In no order...

1. Mark Walton, RB, Cincinnati Bengals - I evaluated Walton as the draft's second-best running back and a guy with bellcow-back potential. With Mixon in Cincy, he won't be the bellcow, but I think he'll outperform his draft position. He could eventually eclipse Mixon as the starter but should in the meantime be an electric RB who could be like Kamara last year. Mixon and Walton could be like last year's Ingram and AK.

2. Akrum Wadley, RB, Tennessee Titans - The question here is rookies who will exceed expectations. As an undrafted free agent behind Dion Lewis and Derrick Henry, expectations are near nothing for Wadley. However, I think he could be a dynamic gadget back with a big role in the passing game and as a change-of-pace back. His acceleration is electric and he could make something happen with limited carries.

3. Equanimeous St. Brown, WR, Green Bay Packers - St. Brown was a late-round selection but could end up being the Packers' No. 2 by the season's end. He has a good combination of athletic traits and having Aaron Rodgers as a quarterback should help. St. Brown could end up being a steal as a freakishly athletic wide receiver with No. 1 potential. I see 750-900 yards in his rookie season with A-Rod.

4. Dallas Goedert, TE, Philadelphia Eagles - As the team's second tight end, Goedert isn't being looked at as a potential 1,000 yard receiver, but I think it's conceivable that he could approach that number sometime soon. Goedert was my top tight end in the draft and he'll be working with a good group of receivers, giving him a lot of mismatched looks. He might not rack up 1,000 yards but could score plenty of touchdowns as a mismatch weapon for Philly.

5. Connor Williams, OG, Dallas Cowboys - I thought Williams was a first-round talent at guard or tackle. He has the best combination of explosive athleticism and technique of the draft's linemen (except for Quenton Nelson) and will be set up to succeed on the best offensive line in football. I think Williams has Pro Bowl potential, a scary thought with how good the Cowboys' line is already.

6. Isaiah Wynn, OG, New England Patriots - The expectation for Wynn is to be a serviceable starter at guard or tackle. My evaluation on Wynn was as a good NFL starter who might make a Pro Bowl or two in a long career. I think he could impress for the Patriots.

7. Lorenzo Carter, LB, New York Giants - I thought Carter was a late first to early second round talent, and he fell to the third round. Carter has the athleticism and technique to carve out a role as a versatile linebacker with edge-rushing ability and coverage ability, which is a great thing to be in the modern NFL. I like Carter's chances of becoming a jack of all trades at the position for the Giants.

8. Shaquem Griffin, LB, Seattle Seahawks - I had Griffin rated as a good NFL starter, and he fell to the fifth round. Griffin is undersized for a linebacker but has the rare athleticism, fluidity, and pass-rushing ability to be a great chess piece for the Seahawks. He can be moved into coverage on shifty backs and physical tight ends, and can rush the passer or range around the field. 

9. Holton Hill, CB, Minnesota Vikings - Hill went undrafted because of off-field concerns and average athleticism, but he's a physical cornerback who could become a strong second option aside from Xavier Rhodes.

10. Josh Rosen, QB, Arizona Cardinals - I liked Rosen coming out of the draft and think he has a good shot to start early. He has the accuracy and the mechanics to adjust quickly to the NFL game and maybe spearhead a push to the playoffs for an underrated Arizona roster.

1 hour ago, AlNFL19 said:

3. Equanimeous St. Brown, WR, Green Bay Packers - St. Brown was a late-round selection but could end up being the Packers' No. 2 by the season's end. He has a good combination of athletic traits and having Aaron Rodgers as a quarterback should help. St. Brown could end up being a steal as a freakishly athletic wide receiver with No. 1 potential. I see 750-900 yards in his rookie season with A-Rod.

Packers WR Michael Clark

6'6" 217  |  4.53  |  33 vert

Packers WR Equanimeous St. Brown

6'5" 214  |  4.48  |  34.5 vert

I'm just as clueless as the next guy but I think the scenario is a little far-fetched even without great WR depth in GB. We'll see. 

1 hour ago, CalhounLambeau said:

I'm just as clueless as the next guy but I think the scenario is a little far-fetched even without great WR depth in GB. We'll see. 

It is far-fetched, but I think he could exceed expectations. That is a little optimistic, but I feel like he might be able to get there.

Josey Jewell. Production in College was off the charts. At the NFL combine he was the name that came up most amongst his conference foes as best player they faced.

His 40 time was not great but his change of direction drills were very good. His field awareness and instincts more than make up for the straight line speed. Great value by Denver in the mid 4th

On 7/19/2018 at 12:04 AM, MrOaktown_56 said:

Ridley will have easily the best production as a rookie. He's a very good receiver prospect too. Safest receiver prospect since Cooper in 2015. Runs good routes, has deep speed.

Emmanuel Sanders 2.0

Is he really going to exceed expectations though? Everyone, for the most part, expects him to tear it up in Atlanta with Matt Ryan throwing him the rock and Julio commanding double and triples.

On 7/18/2018 at 1:00 PM, AlNFL19 said:

In no order...

1. Mark Walton, RB, Cincinnati Bengals - I evaluated Walton as the draft's second-best running back and a guy with bellcow-back potential. With Mixon in Cincy, he won't be the bellcow, but I think he'll outperform his draft position. He could eventually eclipse Mixon as the starter but should in the meantime be an electric RB who could be like Kamara last year. Mixon and Walton could be like last year's Ingram and AK.

With a higher upside when it comes to punching women. I don't think Mixon is a special player at all. I'd expect Walton to eventually dethrone him.

2. Akrum Wadley, RB, Tennessee Titans - The question here is rookies who will exceed expectations. As an undrafted free agent behind Dion Lewis and Derrick Henry, expectations are near nothing for Wadley. However, I think he could be a dynamic gadget back with a big role in the passing game and as a change-of-pace back. His acceleration is electric and he could make something happen with limited carries.

Loved Wadley coming out of the draft. Small and not very explosive, but he runs so hard, has excellent vision, and grinds for interior yards like a back 30 pounds heavier. He'll have a hell of a time cracking that rotation though.

Yeah he's a physical beast, but I can't imagine him hitting those numbers. He's very soft and doesn't play nearly as big as his size would suggest. I like him in GB, but I can't see him getting those kinds of numbers with all of the other skill players there.

4. Dallas Goedert, TE, Philadelphia Eagles - As the team's second tight end, Goedert isn't being looked at as a potential 1,000 yard receiver, but I think it's conceivable that he could approach that number sometime soon. Goedert was my top tight end in the draft and he'll be working with a good group of receivers, giving him a lot of mismatched looks. He might not rack up 1,000 yards but could score plenty of touchdowns as a mismatch weapon for Philly.

He will be one heck of a red zone target for them. Ertz and Gordert are both nasty with great catch radiuses. I really liked this pickup for them.

5. Connor Williams, OG, Dallas Cowboys - I thought Williams was a first-round talent at guard or tackle. He has the best combination of explosive athleticism and technique of the draft's linemen (except for Quenton Nelson) and will be set up to succeed on the best offensive line in football. I think Williams has Pro Bowl potential, a scary thought with how good the Cowboys' line is already.

Meh....he's extremely grabby. While he is athletic, he doesn't seem to have very good functional strength. I didn't really like him all that much. I don't think he busts, but I'm not 

6. Isaiah Wynn, OG, New England Patriots - The expectation for Wynn is to be a serviceable starter at guard or tackle. My evaluation on Wynn was as a good NFL starter who might make a Pro Bowl or two in a long career. I think he could impress for the Patriots.

I think he matches his value perfectly. He won't exceed expectations nor fall short of them.

7. Lorenzo Carter, LB, New York Giants - I thought Carter was a late first to early second round talent, and he fell to the third round. Carter has the athleticism and technique to carve out a role as a versatile linebacker with edge-rushing ability and coverage ability, which is a great thing to be in the modern NFL. I like Carter's chances of becoming a jack of all trades at the position for the Giants.

Loved Lorenzo Carter. He's going to vastly outplay his draft positioning. He's actually a better run defender than he is a pass rusher, but he obviously has insane physical tools that lead me to believe he has the potential to become a dominant edge rusher too.

8. Shaquem Griffin, LB, Seattle Seahawks - I had Griffin rated as a good NFL starter, and he fell to the fifth round. Griffin is undersized for a linebacker but has the rare athleticism, fluidity, and pass-rushing ability to be a great chess piece for the Seahawks. He can be moved into coverage on shifty backs and physical tight ends, and can rush the passer or range around the field. 

I love the fit. Seattle uses versatile LB/DE hybrids very well and Griffin fits that bill. He is a good player...not sure why he slipped so far.

9. Holton Hill, CB, Minnesota Vikings - Hill went undrafted because of off-field concerns and average athleticism, but he's a physical cornerback who could become a strong second option aside from Xavier Rhodes.

Yeah I liked his tape a lot more than I thought I would initially. He's physical, attacks the ball at its highest point, and never got roasted in coverage.

10. Josh Rosen, QB, Arizona Cardinals - I liked Rosen coming out of the draft and think he has a good shot to start early. He has the accuracy and the mechanics to adjust quickly to the NFL game and maybe spearhead a push to the playoffs for an underrated Arizona roster.

He's one of the most pro-ready QB's I've seen in a while. He doesn't have elite physical traits, but he won't need them. I liked all of the QB's in this class. This pick seemed particularly "steal-ey" though.

On 2018-07-17 at 4:57 AM, Techbert said:

That's not the only way to send a message.

You can showcase Ridley as an alternative to Julio without cannibalizing the tosses in Julio's direction. Accelerate your trust in him. Costs a few touches for Sanu, Hardy, Hooper, and Freeman, but no one cares.

And they won't overthrow in Jones' direction anymore, which the team is prone to do.

No they really aren't. You won't fine a single Falcons fan here that says we throw to Julio too much. If anything they should throw to Julio more.

Just take a look at his targets on a week to week basis and go compare it with the other top WRs in the leauge. 

Anthony Miller was borderline dominant today in his 2nd NFL practice. Burned Kyle Fuller multiple times and scored multiple TD’s. The chemistry he and Trubisky are creating could lead to a much better than expected rookie year.

Its becoming more and more evident why GM Ryan Pace made that bold trade up for a “top 3 WR on our board”. 

17 hours ago, pigsooie5 said:

Anthony Miller was borderline dominant today in his 2nd NFL practice. Burned Kyle Fuller multiple times and scored multiple TD’s. The chemistry he and Trubisky are creating could lead to a much better than expected rookie year.

Its becoming more and more evident why GM Ryan Pace made that bold trade up for a “top 3 WR on our board”. 

I had Miller in my top 20 before the draft. He's a stud. Antonio Brown-like.

Archived