Scalamania

12. Mychal Kendricks, Philadelphia Eagles

Coverage: 18/25
Run Defense: 18/25
Pass Rush: 9/15
Tackling: 20/25
Position Value: 7/10
Overall Grade: 72/100

After struggling a season ago, with some calling for the Eagles to move on from him, Mychal Kendricks rebounded by reviving his range and awareness in space. He was no longer the player teams could pick on in the passing game, and he regained his footing as a run defender, often clamping down on the end of the line of scrimmage to pinch plays inside.

37 minutes ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

Where is the photo of Mychal holding up the trophy?

And, I give him the benefit of the doubt plenty, but he's not beyond criticism.

Unless there's something we don't know about with Kendricks this is an odd decision.

Maybe he turns water into wine with the money he saved and I wonder why I ever doubted him. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

brandon-graham-sack.jpg

1 minute ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

The contract isn't even THAT bad anymore with how contracts have risen in years since we signed him.

He played closer to 28% of the snaps in 2015, but you're expecting Bradham and Hicks (mainly) to stay healthy to result in that outcome.

Nelson has pretty much been a special teams player for his career with limited playing experience. Kendricks was actually a good starting outside linebacker last year.  

That's only if he's hardly on the field cause Hicks and Bradham both stay healthy. 

Kendricks made the 7th most on our team, annually. It's a bad contract. Howie knew it. You knew it. We all knew it. 

Injury history is a concern. But Howie indentified Nelson for a reason and signed him early. That was his Kendricks replacement. 

We wont miss Kendricks at all, imo. 

7 minutes ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

12. Mychal Kendricks, Philadelphia Eagles

Coverage: 18/25
Run Defense: 18/25
Pass Rush: 9/15
Tackling: 20/25
Position Value: 7/10
Overall Grade: 72/100

After struggling a season ago, with some calling for the Eagles to move on from him, Mychal Kendricks rebounded by reviving his range and awareness in space. He was no longer the player teams could pick on in the passing game, and he regained his footing as a run defender, often clamping down on the end of the line of scrimmage to pinch plays inside.

Kendricks was the 12th best LB in the whole league last year? By what standards? lol

4 minutes ago, Jroc04 said:

Kendricks made the 7th most on our team, annually. It's a bad contract. Howie knew it. You knew it. We all knew it. 

Injury history is a concern. But Howie indentified Nelson for a reason and signed him early. That was his Kendricks replacement. 

We wont miss Kendricks at all, imo. 

That's because he was in the last years of the deal when the cap hit was larger. A lot of guys would be making more than him soon or next year when their cap hit goes up like isn't Bradham barely costing anything this year before it shoots up?

19 minutes ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

That's because he was in the last years of the deal when the cap hit was larger. A lot of guys would be making more than him soon or next year when their cap hit goes up like isn't Bradham barely costing anything this year before it shoots up?

His contract paid him 3, 4.6, 6.6, 7.6, 8.6. He was in the 7.6 year this year. I guess you can spin the beginning of year 4 of 5 the "last years" but it's still too expensive for what we do with him, no matter how you slice it. 

Bradham will make 2, 9, 9, 9, 11 with the last three years being option years and we use him twice as much as Kendricks. 

Mychal and his skill set were just not valued at his pricetag anymore. And that was rectified this afternoon. I think it's pretty cut and dry, going forward in his current role, they couldn't justify that kind of spending. 

27 minutes ago, EaglesPeteC said:

The 12th best 4-3 OLB so dont get too excited haha 

I was about to say. I'm not exactly sure how many teams run the 4-3 or even how you consider OLBs when your base is a nickel but it's still not impressive considering the coin he's making on this roster. 

Again, the dude isn't bad. But it's pretty clear the Eagles plan on using him as their 3rd LB. How do you justify that salary if your plan is to play him 30% of the time. I mean, there's a reason why we were close to dumping all that money into P-Rob this year. Because the slot is our "11th" starter. Even if there's a dropoff of play a bit, is the cost of his replacement worth the savings? I'd imagine so. 

Mychal was a good player, it's a move to be judged later.
Benefit of the doubt says it'll make more sense at some point. 

Like if we can take Kendricks money and afford a DT and one of these good vet safeties on cheap one year deals I'm all for it.

But always sucks to cut talent for nothing, 

5 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

Mychal was a good player, it's a move to be judged later.
Benefit of the doubt says it'll make more sense at some point. 

Like if we can take Kendricks money and afford a DT and one of these good vet safeties on cheap one year deals I'm all for it.

But always sucks to cut talent for nothing, 

Yea. I said something like this earlier. If essentially, we "trade" out Kendricks for Hankins and Hankins takes Timmy's contract once Jernigan is inevitably released, this is a massive win. There's got to be a move coming. I don't see why they would have done it, outside of a professional favor to Mychal, when they were compliant for they year. 

There's definitely more than meets the eye here. Kendricks has been demanding to move on from the Eagles for a long time. The Eagles have been trying to move him for a long time. I agree that Kendricks was a decent, but not bad player for us. I definitely would have preferred keeping him. 

What's confusing is the timing. If this was a money move... what was the point of waiting this long? If cutting him was a foregone conclusion and that we weren't gonna carry his contract... why wait till the start of OTAs to cut him? This just smells like there was an off the record conversation or a series of conversations that went sour and came to a boiling point. 

46 minutes ago, Phire said:

There's definitely more than meets the eye here. Kendricks has been demanding to move on from the Eagles for a long time. The Eagles have been trying to move him for a long time. I agree that Kendricks was a decent, but not bad player for us. I definitely would have preferred keeping him. 

What's confusing is the timing. If this was a money move... what was the point of waiting this long? If cutting him was a foregone conclusion and that we weren't gonna carry his contract... why wait till the start of OTAs to cut him? This just smells like there was an off the record conversation or a series of conversations that went sour and came to a boiling point. 

The only thing I can think of besides trying to free up money for a FA is that Howie was trying to move him this whole time and nobody bit. And to prevent him being stuck on the roster after being possibly injured, they cut him before he started practicing. So, it's possible they just couldn't find a trade partner. Or maybe the compensation was so underwhelming that they may have given Kendricks the option, ala Foles, to go to whichever team or be cut. 

This has already been said before in the thread, but I'm not a fan of the move on its own. We're already thin on LB depth with an injury prone MLB.

That said if the money from this move is used to sign an upgrade to a starting position (like a Hankins to replace the loss of Jernigan) and make the LBs job a bit easier then I think it will be a net positive.

I'll wait for the other shoe to drop, if it doesn't I think this is a dumb move.

Archived