2018 NBA Finals: The Warriors vs LeBron Pt. 4

RavensTillIDie

8 minutes ago, showtime said:

LeBron and Simmons don't really seem like that great of a mix to me.

I don't really get this take. I think they have the potential to be an amazing duo. Bron needs someone who can run the offense and take some of the load off him, particularly as he gets older. and I think Simmons has the potential to be really great at cutting and working off passes from Bron. think they could have an amazing two-man game, even assuming Simmons doesn't develop a shot, which seems unlikely.

7 minutes ago, Buckrock101 said:

I don't really get this take. I think they have the potential to be an amazing duo. Bron needs someone who can run the offense and take some of the load off him, particularly as he gets older. and I think Simmons has the potential to be really great at cutting and working off passes from Bron. think they could have an amazing two-man game, even assuming Simmons doesn't develop a shot, which seems unlikely.

LeBron is still the best player in the game, he is always going to be a dominant ball handler because that's how his game is.  It has already been proven that LeBron's game alters the way superstars/stars play.  He basically turns bigs into spot-up shooters and perimeter players as well.  Kyrie Irving excelled with LeBron, but Simmons is nowhere near that caliber of offensive talent.  He has the basketball in his hands so much and Ben Simmons cannot shoot a lick.  Also, assuming Simmons doesn't develop a shot is pretty fair because calling him a dreadful shooter is actually a compliment.  The guy can't even shoot free throws for Gods sake.  He's not just a guy who's a poor shooter, this kind of seems like it's fair to assume it will always be a problem for him.

So you have a guy on the court while LeBron is dribbling the basketball who can't shoot anything but layups.  They don't compliment each other.  LeBron always plays with guys who can space the floor and Simmons does the complete opposite... he kills spacing.

1 minute ago, showtime said:

LeBron is still the best player in the game, he is always going to be a dominant ball handler because that's how his game is.  It has already been proven that LeBron's game alters the way superstars/stars play.  He basically turns bigs into spot-up shooters and perimeter players as well.  Kyrie Irving excelled with LeBron, but Simmons is nowhere near that caliber of offensive talent.  He has the basketball in his hands so much and Ben Simmons cannot shoot a lick.  Also, assuming Simmons doesn't develop a shot is pretty fair because calling him a dreadful shooter is actually a compliment.  The guy can't even shoot free throws for Gods sake.

So you have a guy on the court while LeBron is dribbling the basketball who can't shoot anything but layups.  They don't compliment each other.  LeBron always plays with guys who can space the floor and Simmons does the complete opposite... he kills spacing.

He's had the most success when with Wade/Kyrie, who happen to be players that can take the ball and let bron chill for a few plays. don't think that's a coincidence. plus we see how fatigued he's been in the playoffs this year, it's only going to get worse, he's not going to be able to carry the ball every play for 45 minutes forever.

and off the ball play isn't reduced to spotting up and shooting. with his passing (which is least likely to decline as he gets older), he's able to find guys on cuts that few others can, and with the amazing instincts Simmons has shown on the ball at a young age, you'd imagine he'd be able to play great off Bron making cuts, catching lobs, etc. J's aren't the only way to score.

7 minutes ago, Buckrock101 said:

He's had the most success when with Wade/Kyrie, who happen to be players that can take the ball and let bron chill for a few plays. don't think that's a coincidence. plus we see how fatigued he's been in the playoffs this year, it's only going to get worse, he's not going to be able to carry the ball every play for 45 minutes forever.

and off the ball play isn't reduced to spotting up and shooting. with his passing (which is least likely to decline as he gets older), he's able to find guys on cuts that few others can, and with the amazing instincts Simmons has shown on the ball at a young age, you'd imagine he'd be able to play great off Bron making cuts, catching lobs, etc. J's aren't the only way to score.

Wade's role regressed a good amount partly because he has never been a great three point shooter and because he always used to dominate the basketball... something you can no longer do with LeBron on your team.  He has had the most team success because those guys are great players and he would have great success in Philly.  He has also had great success this season playing with nobody.  

I just think Ben Simmons is such a poor shooter that he doesn't even need to be defended.  Even though Wade wasn't a great shooter, you still had to respect him out there and obviously Kyrie is a fantastic shooter. 

Simmons is like a much bigger version of Rajon Rondo, which isn't a terrible thing, but I just don't like how it fits with LeBron.  Obviously with LeBron the Sixers are probably favorites to make it to the Finals and maybe even win a championship.... So it will work.  I just think there are risk with the Philly move and it's not as a sure thing as some people are saying.

11 minutes ago, Buckrock101 said:

With Wade/Kyrie you had to atleast respect Wade's shooting and Kyrie is obviously a good shooter. With Simmons you can literally just sag into the paint anytime he's on the court. When he's on the court with Lebron it is going to clutter the offense, even if he is making cuts, because he's useless without the ball unless you throw him a lob. I don't see the fit, especially in todays game.

51 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

I’d sleeze my way out of town for an extra 30M too. 

But yeah this is a terrible take. 

Well he sleezed his way out of his contract but than Utah came in and stole him. 

A prime boozer would of been perfect next to James. His mid range game was money and would of been even better playing off of James. 

11 minutes ago, buno67 said:

Well he sleezed his way out of his contract but than Utah came in and stole him. 

A prime boozer would of been perfect next to James. His mid range game was money and would of been even better playing off of James. 

name one big that has ever had a mid range game next to lebron lol 

To make the LeBron/Simmons duo work, you could run a lot of pick and rolls with Simmons being the screen man. This way he could finish at the rack or make plays off the roll. That is one area I hoped to see Philly utilize him in last year that they didn't. Granted, they didn't really have another ball handler or shot creator aside from maybe McConnell. 

There are ways to make the combo work, but Simmons gotta be willing to take some jumpers. Like my goodness, Rondo can't shoot but dude will still put them up lol. 

12 minutes ago, buno67 said:

Garbage defense and has had trouble getting open vs the Warriors

But at this point, is he really that much worse than JR Smith?  At least on offense Korver can always constantly be in motion and he's obviously someone that the Warriors would have to expend energy chasing around because he's such a great shooter.  I would give him more burn in game three at home.

2 minutes ago, Troy Brown said:

name one big that has ever had a mid range game next to lebron lol 

Easy Big Z. Heck, that was their entire offense. A LeBron high pick and roll/pop that either leads to him taking it to the rack or a Big Z 15 foot jump shot. 

I really want to see Lebron and Simmons play together. Simmons is not Giannis who struggled with his shot and has developed a little. Simmons literally has no shot outside of 10 feet. Hes the only starting guard in the NBA to not make a 3 pointer last season. Boston had him figured out both in the regular season and the post season. defensively, they could be very solid, but two extremely ball dominant players can sometimes work out, but when one of them can't shoot? Teams would pack the paint against them. add in Embiid, who is solid in the mid range, but less than average from 3, and you have major floor spacing issues. Especially when Redick, Bayless and Belinelli are gone.  I guess they could attack some vet free agents who can shoot. I think its a terrible fit. I also think Lebron will do for Simmons what he did for Irving. Lebron has no history of making players on  his team better. In fact guys seems to under perform. That goes to show how great Lebron is as an individual player. Its also why hes struggled in the finals. 

But if i was a betting man, i would put my money on him staying in Cleveland, and trying to force more trades. Maybe flip love and picks for Leonard or Paul George in a sign and trade. i just dont see anywhere he can realistically go that will beat the warriors. 

Archived