Is Winston Moss on his way out of Green Bay

OneTwoSixFive

I don't like financial reviews with executives, but it's part of my job.    I give it my best effort all the time.    The Packers are sports entertainment, selling their wares .    Moss isn't helping them "Sell" their product.     Must be  part of his job since the Packers shoved that garbage in front of us, their customers.    The customers expect more ... no excuses

Just now, mncheddar said:

I don't like financial reviews with executives, but it's part of my job.    I give it my best effort all the time.    The Packers are sports entertainment, selling their wares .    Moss isn't helping them "Sell" their product.     Must be  part of his job since the Packers shoved that garbage in front of us, their customers.    The customers expect more ... no excuses

Eh that's a pretty loose comparison. Moss' job is to make the LB play well so the defense plays well and the team wins. That's the entertainment I want. I really don't care what he's like in a press conference. 

Have you ever heard a Paul Chryst presser? It's a safety hazard to anyone driving while listening, but he wins and no one cares.

40 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

In answering the original post, do we really care? Moss has always been pretty underwhelming IMO as a position coach. He's no Whitt. 

According to what? He's gotten HC interviews, DC interviews and is our assistant HC. Must be doing something right.

3 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

According to what? He's gotten HC interviews, DC interviews and is our assistant HC. Must be doing something right.

Meh...when Pettine came in, personally I was hoping to burn the whole thing down and let Pettine build his staff with his own people. 

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

I see, he gives you residual Dom feelings.

That and when a guy has been coaching virtually the same position group for over 10 years, seems stale to me. I get that he's interviewed a few places elsewhere, but who knows how serious those interviews really were or whether it was simply a Rooney deal. Again, overall I'm just "meh" whether he's here or not. 

1 hour ago, mncheddar said:

Whether Winston Moss is engaging or not doesn't stop one single person from watching the NFL. 

2 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

Maybe he just doesn't like press conferences? He's a position coach, not really important how he does at these things.

It IS important because it is a small, but significant part of his job. The coach/player relationship is similar to that of a teacher pupil. When the pupil shows bad attitude (see Damarious Randall), he is shipped out because at least in part he upset the balance of the locker room (un-named senior players wanted him gone). If bad attitude by a pupil is taken so seriously, how much worse is it when that attitude comes from the 'teacher'.

Bottom line, I think this IS important and him leaving the Packers pretty soon is (imo) not unlikely. One bad apple can spoil the whole barrel in short order. The NFL business (the coaching side) is one where expectations are high, or you are gone. I don't think you can display that kind of attitude and survive for long..........maybe you get pardoned once for that kind of performance, but not twice.

My guess (I have no special information, just a hunch), is that if he DOES stay (no certainty there) either the HC or Pettine will demand he do another press conference soon, and he will be expected to act very differently from the last one, no chewing gum, no 'I don't-care what I say' type answers.

4 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

It IS important because it is a small, but significant part of his job. The coach/player relationship is similar to that of a teacher pupil. When the pupil shows bad attitude (see Damarious Randall), he is shipped out because at least in part he upset the balance of the locker room (un-named senior players wanted him gone). If bad attitude by a pupil is taken so seriously, how much worse is it when that attitude comes from the 'teacher'.

Bottom line, I think this IS important and him leaving the Packers pretty soon is (imo) not unlikely. One bad apple can spoil the whole barrel in short order. The NFL business (the coaching side) is one where expectations are high, or you are gone. I don't think you can display that kind of attitude and survive for long..........maybe you get pardoned once for that kind of performance, but not twice.

My guess (I have no special information, just a hunch), is that if he DOES stay (no certainty there) either the HC or Pettine will demand he do another press conference soon, and he will be expected to act very differently from the last one, no chewing gum, no 'I don't-care what I say' type answers.

Agree to disagree. This is all a huge stretch for me. I don't think Mac or Pettine care how their assistants are doing in PCs. Nor do I think it reflects anything how he's coaching the players or how they think they can act because they see his presser.

This is textbook making a mountain out of an ant hill to me.

2 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

Randall showed bad attitude in his on-field activities. Winston gave a sub-par press conference. This is a non-issue. I'm sure all these coaches see the press conference as a chore and the most he's going to get is someone saying "hey play nice next time".

We all wanted coaches with an attitude. We get a little and now everyone wants nice guys.

Looked like a guy who doesn't care. Whether it is because he doesn't care for press conferences or he doesn't care to be with GB... only he knows the answer to that. 

Not what I'd like to see un a press conference from any member of the Packers, regardless of position/role. Just gives a bad vibe and makes me wonder if his perceived bad attitude spreads. 

Also have to wonder if this is how he interviews.  If you want to be the face of an organization  you better do better (or have the BB rings to afford an attitude).

Looks to me like he is a man of few words.  It may be what keeps him from advancing to a head coaching position.  Some people can be experts in their field, can teach the necessary techniques well, but when faced with a public speaking situation like a press conference they lack the articulation to come across with the energy and the detail necessary to win over the audience.

I have never seen him speak before, so I don't know if this is a change that reflects a current attitude, or is just a lack of skills at public speaking.

Archived