What blunder in NFL history matches what JR Smith did in the NBA Finals?

TecmoSuperJoe

40 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

You’d have to find a player that - while tied or behind in a championship game - takes a knee at the goaline thinking they could run out some clock or something like that. Hard to be that monumentally dumb, for any athlete I imagine.

I saw something like that in a High School Championship game in MA where a team was down and as they were driving to score there was a penalty, they didn't have the presence of mind to realize the clock still starts once the ball is whistled ready for play instead of on the snap and they took there time lining up and then before they got the snap off for a final play the clock ran out. I know Everett. Biggest game of the year and people were pissed.

@lancerman - It was 2nd and goal from the half yard line, 25 secs left, with 1 TO.

Why would they not try to run the ball on second down? If they don't get it, then they can use the TO and attempt two passing plays. They didn't maximise their chances.

I didn't actually see JR's error, btw, so no idea if it's anything alike. Disclaimer.

7 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

@lancerman - It was 2nd and goal from the half yard line, 25 secs left, with 1 TO.

Why would they not try to run the ball on second down? If they don't get it, then they can use the TO and attempt two passing plays. They didn't maximise their chances.

I didn't actually see JR's error, btw, so no idea if it's anything alike. Disclaimer.

Because would you rather run Lynch twice or run Lynch once? You pass on 2nd or 3rd and Lynch has to shots to pound it in. If the big complaint is that they didn't run, they were effectively maximizing their number of plays and erring on the side of being able to run twice. You were going to need at least one pass in there and the Patriots were in a defense that screamed pass. In fact the biggest irony of that whole play is the move Patricia was scared of the most was that Lynch had a one on one with Hightower and if they passed to him it would have been an easy TD. But to be fair the pass they had should have been an easy TD. 

So the mistake wasn't that they didn't run Lynch, it's that they didn't pass to him. 

Situationally it wasn't a bad call unless you buy the hype that Lynch was guaranteed to get a TD.

Scott Norwood or Pete Carroll come to mind. 

Leon Lett would get consideration, but Dallas was trouncing Buffalo 52-17 when he fumbled the ball out of the back of the end zone...

24 minutes ago, EliteTexan80 said:

Scott Norwood or Pete Carroll come to mind. 

Leon Lett would get consideration, but Dallas was trouncing Buffalo 52-17 when he fumbled the ball out of the back of the end zone...

Nope. Norwood was missed execution that would be like if JR Smith drove to the basket and missed his shot without a foul. And like I said Carroll made one of the best calls for the situation in a matter of a few seconds, emotion is the reason people thing "zomg you needz to run Lynch on that specific play". 

Something similar would have to be something where based of the situation there is only one right move and the player actively does the complete opposite

When lil' Jimmy Harbaugh was quarterback for the Bears once upon a time, he got confused and knelt down with the football instead of spiking it, which is what the situation called for. Obviously not in a Super Bowl, or anything, but easily one of the top three dumbest things I've seen an NFL player do...

Both Leon Lett incidents didn't result in anything that cost his team a very important game. Both incidents are severely overblown. The Thanksgiving game  resulted in the Dolphins losing every game after that and missing the playoffs after starting the season 9-2 and the Cowboys won every game after that and repeated as champions. The Super Bowl just didn't matter unless you cared about scoring the most points in Super Bowl history which I didn't. We dominated and won convincingly so who cares.

1 hour ago, lancerman said:

Nope. Norwood was missed execution that would be like if JR Smith drove to the basket and missed his shot without a foul. And like I said Carroll made one of the best calls for the situation in a matter of a few seconds, emotion is the reason people thing "zomg you needz to run Lynch on that specific play". 

Something similar would have to be something where based of the situation there is only one right move and the player actively does the complete opposite

I'll concede the Norwood play - as far as the Carroll call, it isn't because he called a pass play - it's because he called an inside "strong" slant play going into traffic to a WR who weighs 130 lbs soaking wet. 

When you're running a route into heavy traffic like that, you run that play to a big/strong guy in that spot, so he can "box out" any defender who might make a play on the ball. 

Malcolm Butler made a strong move and beat Ricardo Lockett to the spot, but did you see Lockett get helicoptered on the play? That's a big reason the play failed, Lockett couldn't hold his position to break up the INT in the event a defender got there. I doubt Butler is able to muscle into that spot had it been 6' 5" 241lb Chris Matthews (who was roasting the Pats to the tune of 4/109/1 leading up to the play) running that rub/slant. Heck, Matthews was crushing the back shoulder fade all day long - go with that. 

If you're gonna throw into the teeth of a defense, you gotta throw to a big bodied target that's not going to give up position to a smaller DB. Or you throw to the back corner of the end zone.

39 minutes ago, EliteTexan80 said:

I'll concede the Norwood play - as far as the Carroll call, it isn't because he called a pass play - it's because he called an inside "strong" slant play going into traffic to a WR who weighs 130 lbs soaking wet. 

When you're running a route into heavy traffic like that, you run that play to a big/strong guy in that spot, so he can "box out" any defender who might make a play on the ball. 

Malcolm Butler made a strong move and beat Ricardo Lockett to the spot, but did you see Lockett get helicoptered on the play? That's a big reason the play failed, Lockett couldn't hold his position to break up the INT in the event a defender got there. I doubt Butler is able to muscle into that spot had it been 6' 5" 241lb Chris Matthews (who was roasting the Pats to the tune of 4/109/1 leading up to the play) running that rub/slant. Heck, Matthews was crushing the back shoulder fade all day long - go with that. 

If you're gonna throw into the teeth of a defense, you gotta throw to a big bodied target that's not going to give up position to a smaller DB. Or you throw to the back corner of the end zone.

You needed Browner to jam the receiver and a poor throw from Wilson before Lockett’s weight even mattered. And that play was highly successful for Seattle 

56 minutes ago, EliteTexan80 said:

Am I missing something? Lockette was 6’2, 210+. Not Chris Matthews, but he’s a bigger WR. Plus, it stands to reason that someone like Matthews would’ve gotten to the spot even later than Lockette did. The playcall was dead once Browner stonewalled Kearse (IIRC) and Butler immediately knew the play. 

I don’t think Pete’s call comes close to JR’s for the simple reason that - if it goes right - they still win the game. He was actively trying to win, albeit with debatabley not the best strategy. JR was actively trying to not-score.

Archived