The 2018 MLB Draft Thread

ramssuperbowl99

1 hour ago, 1ForTheThumb said:

Sox going power guys with their first two picks. Love that, but not so much the fact that they're both HS bats.

Legitimately he does not sleep well on the road because beds are too small for him.  He’s gotta get like a tour bus or something.  He looks like he can’t see the ball or react on the road which is not explained by park factors.  NO SLEEP!

(or he’s just cheating on his gf tbh)

A couple days ago by the way he was hitting .295.  Couple bad days and his average dipped into the 270s.  But it’ll be back up and he’s still on pace for like 8 WAR which I would very much consider “repeating last year” and a major success.

Hes honestly been the most consistent player on the team, even when his average has fluctuated from .270-.310 he’s contributing in all facets of the game.  Total stud.

What are the odds that Cleveland loses Hankins to Vandy? Since he's a high 2nd round pick, I'd assume that he'll go to Cleveland, but you never know I guess. He's had injury concerns, but I feel like the kid would be a Top 5-Top 10 lock without them. Maybe I'm wrong though. We basically got him for letting Santana walk, so not bad compensation.

26 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

What are the odds that Cleveland loses Hankins to Vandy? Since he's a high 2nd round pick, I'd assume that he'll go to Cleveland, but you never know I guess. He's had injury concerns, but I feel like the kid would be a Top 5-Top 10 lock without them. Maybe I'm wrong though. We basically got him for letting Santana walk, so not bad compensation.

The odds he didn't share any medical info and fails a physical. Less than 1%.

Everybody in the top 10 rounds signs now.

Just now, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Everybody in the top 10 rounds signs now.

I figured as much. I remember my buddy Justin Masterson was drafted in the 2nd round by the BoSox back in the mid 2000s and signed, and he was a 4.0 student in college for his first 3 years and really wanted his degree. He signed almost immediately and figured he'd go back to school or do correspondence work. Considering the hundreds of thousands of dollars those guys are guaranteed, plus some of them being guaranteed tuition money if things don't work out, I feel like that's an absolute no brainer. 

1 minute ago, MWil23 said:

I figured as much. I remember my buddy Justin Masterson was drafted in the 2nd round by the BoSox back in the mid 2000s and signed, and he was a 4.0 student in college for his first 3 years and really wanted his degree. He signed almost immediately and figured he'd go back to school or do correspondence work. Considering the hundreds of thousands of dollars those guys are guaranteed, plus some of them being guaranteed tuition money if things don't work out, I feel like that's an absolute no brainer. 

It's a CBA thing now. If a guy didn't sign previously in the no-pool era, it didn't matter. Now you lose the bonus slot at that pick, and teams are using one pick's bonus pool money to sign the other guy, so that means they have to have agreements beforehand.

Everybody signs. Until round 11.

We'll have to disagree about that @ramssuperbowl99

I don't see any principled reason to treat sports differently than any other job. So the only reason to say he shouldn't be able to play is to say he shouldn't be able to have any job and that is just unacceptable. He's ultimately paid whatever price the justice determined he needed to and now is free to be in society with all that provides which includes being able to get a job. In fact getting a job is among the top things they want you to do after your time is served as it that lessens recidivism.

The only thing that complicates it a bit for me is him now denying it happened after having apologized for it not long before.

1 minute ago, mse326 said:

The only thing that complicates it a bit for me is him now denying it happened after having apologized for it not long before.

100% this. I don't want him on my team regardless, and am freely admitting that part of it is because I don't want my team to have a child predator. I don't want to have to choose between rooting for a child predator and rooting for the Brewers. But he plead guilty in front of a judge who made sure he know what that meant, never denied anything, and then the second this starts to impact him, he calls the family and little kid who stood up to him liars.

That's sociopathic. 

I sincerely hope the fanbase of any team who takes him revolts.

16 hours ago, Knowledge said:

Phillies infield is set if all works out

Hoskins
Kingery
Crawford
Bohm 
Alfaro

Hoskins is super streaky. And I'm not sold on any of them yet. Though I'm feeling the most confident in Alfaro at this time.

10 minutes ago, BillsGuy82 said:

What's with Jays emphasizing bloodlines lol.. Add Griffen Conine to Cavan Biggio, Bo Bichette and of course Junior.

Everyone seems to like this pick tho

I watched him in the ACC tourney a couple of weeks ago, and he looked good. I think before the season, he was a top 20 prospect. 

Archived