2018 Draft Eligible QB Thread

CalhounLambeau

I can dig this. Give him a rock solid supporting cast.

Presume best case scenarios here.

Draft pick in ( )

Free agent in [ ]

WR1: J. Gordon/[A. Robinson]

WR2: (E. St. Brown)/C. Coleman

WR3/Slot: [J. Landry]

That corps would do work.

TE: D. Njoku/S. DeValve/Telfer

Again. Monster receiving weapons, and I believe they will all grow into their blocking rolls.

RB: (S. Barkley)/D. Johnson/(J. Jackson)

Double down on B1G RBs. Jackson will be available later and can be another multi-purpose weapon ala Duke.

With that cast and rolling into his second year I believe whole heartedly that Kizer would be set up for success.

Saw this for the Browns on another website.

14 hours ago, Elusive_Tiger said:

This is the Browns problem, and thus why they are the skid mark of the NFL. They give up on their QBs/mishandle them. Any competent organization would see what Kizer has over a year or two after spending a second round pick on him. Why did they select him otherwise?

No, our problem is drafting the wrong QB and not drafting the right one. As well as doing the same at pretty much every other position on the roster.

1 hour ago, Aztec Hammer said:
16 hours ago, Elusive_Tiger said:

This is the Browns problem, and thus why they are the skid mark of the NFL. They give up on their QBs/mishandle them. Any competent organization would see what Kizer has over a year or two after spending a second round pick on him. Why did they select him otherwise?

No, our problem is drafting the wrong QB and not drafting the right one. As well as doing the same at pretty much every other position on the roster.

Agree with Aztec. Do you really think we screwed Brandon Weeden, Cody Kessler, Brady Quinn, and Johnny Manziel up? You believe that if they were drafted by the Bengals, as a random example, they would have been stars? It's not the development of the players; it's the terribleness of the players selected.

On 10/16/2017 at 8:19 PM, Forge said:

I get giving him this entire year, but I'm not just handing him a second year, especially in a season where I can have the top pick in the draft with franchise quarterbacks available. I think most teams would play it like that, unless they really happened to like what they see from the second rounder (which, obviously they don't if they've already benched him lol). It's just like the Jimmy Clausen situation. The second is a sunk cost at this point, you're not getting it back. You should be doing what is best for your team moving forward, which is getting a franchise quarterback. 

Interestingly, I could see a similar situation where prospect Lamar Jackson = prospect Newton. 

On 10/16/2017 at 8:05 PM, Elusive_Tiger said:

They had to. He wasn't their 1st or 2nd choice but he fit the skill set Hue wanted. The awful eval starts when someone considered he could start week 1. He's a project and should have been treated as one.

On 10/16/2017 at 11:57 AM, Forge said:

Yep. And honestly, we may not even draft a quarterback. Depends on how the Cousins saga plays out. Luckily, we will know about that before we head into the draft. 

Rosen could be incredible with Shanahan.

7 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

What do we make of Luke Falk? Didn't watch the game but I've been cooling off on him.

Only caught part of the game, but Stat line is probably exaggerating how catastrophic it was a bit.  Two of the INTs were tipped balls off his WRs (one thrown badly behind though). One other INT wasn't even a pass, just a little flip play gone wrong.  But still a pretty catastrophic draft-stock tanking evening.

Didn't look that good to me the week before vs Oregon either.

7 hours ago, CWood21 said:

He's a product of the system that he is in.

Still don't think that's entirely the case.  The bulk numbers are a product of that system for sure...but he still does translatable things within that system.  I think it's a system that fits and flatters his strengths/weaknesses well (usually).  He's got some real flaws though.  The more i watch of him, the more the deep ball accuracy looks erratic.  And he continues to take sacks he doesn't need to, holding onto the ball too long.  Not trending the right way with his execution of that system even.  Starting to wonder a bit about the head injury stuff with him too.

Probably just levels his stock back off to where it should be.  Maybe a Day2 sort of flier.  Unless the wheels completely come off or something.

5 hours ago, CalhounLambeau said:

Mayfield certainly seems to have a similar, "never too late to make a play" sort of "gamer" mentality when things break down.  He's got plenty of swagger.  And he trusts his arm like Favre.  Not sure how far beyond that the similarities go though.

This QB class is becoming a bit of a turtle derby for me though.  Nobody really grabbing the bull by the horns to set themselves apart.

Archived