Was Jameis Winston’s talent overrated coming out of college?

patriotsheatyan

On 7/3/2018 at 8:44 AM, Malik said:

Jameis Winston was a monster in college with the ideal physical build of an NFL QB. I don't understand this question at all.

Plenty of guys who were monsters in college and had prototype NFL builds have flamed out in the league.  What you did in college does not necessarily predict NFL success.

I personally was not that impressed with him or Mariota in that draft class.  Overall I thought 2015 was a very weak draft class.  The only player I thought from that class that would be a All-Pro caliber talent was Todd Gurley.  Mariota and Winston just lacked that extra something that you see from the truly special prospects at QB position.  Mariota seemed too stiff and robotic while Winston had that awful hitch in his throwing motion and was an extremely overrated athlete when it came to mobility and escapability.

I thought Winston reminded me of Byron Leftwich more than anybody else during the lead up to that draft. 

I think many Bucs fans can vouch for me in 2014 I was on the Jimmy G train for our second round pick. I thought he was a stud then. 

The bucs have continuously made poor decisions on the qb position and head coaching positions and GM positions. They are the Browns of the nfc. 

16 hours ago, REDandPEWTER said:

I think many Bucs fans can vouch for me in 2014 I was on the Jimmy G train for our second round pick. I thought he was a stud then. 

The bucs have continuously made poor decisions on the qb position and head coaching positions and GM positions. They are the Browns of the nfc. 

I hate Jameis Winston more than just about anyone (except maybe that Uber driver's father) and I think you're being way too harsh on him.

Is he a great QB? No, but he's certainly better than freaking Jake Delhomme, Deshone Kizer, Brady Quinn, Cody Kessler, or the host of other dildo's that we have put under center recently. The Buccaneers are hilariously better than the Browns at getting production out of their QB's.

I argued HARD that Mariota would be a better pro because Winston was such an immature punk, but he's a better pure passer than Marcus is right now. The Browns would blow 7 homeless dudes outside of an STD clinic to have a QB with the talent that Jameis has. He's a complete idiot still, as a lot of people predicted, but I think Buccaneers fans are going way too hard at his on-field mediocrity because of who he is off the field. He was always worthy of the #1 overall selection based on pure talent. And it's way too early to know what he or Mariota are going to be yet. Neither have had great supporting casts around them, especially Winston. His OL has been one of the worst in the NFL every year he's been back there and they've had virtually no run game to speak of. They have great receiving options, but it's hard to get them the ball when your OL is getting murked and you're constantly throwing on 3rd & long. He'll be an above average starting QB in the league if he can keep himself out of trouble (which seems unlikely).

I wish I remember the posters that vehemently vouched for Winston's character in the draft forum in the past. I'd love to revisit that and humiliate some of those posters. I remember being called racist for having Mariota over Winston because of the off-field stuff. Pretty funny stuff.

3 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

The Browns would blow 7 homeless dudes outside of an STD clinic to have a QB with the talent that Jameis has

Whoa,

I get it you're trying to drive a point home, but c'mon - we're trying to maintain some kind of standards here.

Lighten up on the descriptions going forward, please.

Thanks.

- ET

Not sure about talent because talent is more than physical ability.  His physical ability should never be questioned because he has all the physical ability in the world.  Arm strength, accuracy, size, athleticism all add up to a prototypical QB.  If you factor decision making into talent, no.  Decision making doesn't have anything to do with off field decision making.  He still turns the ball over way too much.  Not sure how that was reflected in college, but it was probably on tape. 

59 turnovers in three years.  That's not including 16 fumbles that his team happened to recover. 

Winston like many QBs leave college to early ... Kizer is a good example as well. Not only do they not have enough experience. They are lacking maturity and responsibility. Winston was a horrible pick from the get go .... he had so many incidents in college its crazy. Im wondering how many went unreported and what he does when he thinks no one is looking. A Qb takes more then just talent and skill. Leadership, judgment, clear thinking all important as well.  He has shown over and over again he makes poor choices ... hell even last year starting a fight with Lattimore poking back of his head.  Then in college everyone knows the 2 main things he did ... but there was also the gun incident, the bb gun incident, stealing soda from burger king . All together its like 7 or 8 in total. Bucs would be insane to commit to him. His history just shows a pattern that he does not seem able to stop 

The red flag with me is his off the field issues. If he can fix those. He'll be fine. 

Now, as for his talent/game play. I think he has done a good job up to this point in his career with TB.  
Last year. He had no help. Non-extent run game, non-extant offensive line, Charmin-soft defense, Ray Finkle-esque kickers, and Coaches who seem like they read out of those complete idiots guides along with an injured shoulder. He played much better at the end of last year. This current roster is the most talented Winston has had to work with since being with the Bucs. When he comes back from his suspension. I like him to have a really good season. 

Not at all.  Just because a player doesn't exceed his NFL expectations doesn't undo what he did in the collegiate ranks.  Winston played extremely well his first two years; throwing for over 4,000 yds in both them and over 20 tds.  And while his numbers could have been better, they weren't terrible for last season.  

Jameis Winston turned 24 this year.  He's still really young.  Every young QB matures at different rates.  I think Winston needs to be given this upcoming season and possibly the season afterwards before finally being able to accurately label him.

On 7/6/2018 at 7:44 PM, GreenMean69 said:

Winston like many QBs leave college to early ... Kizer is a good example as well. Not only do they not have enough experience. They are lacking maturity and responsibility. Winston was a horrible pick from the get go .... he had so many incidents in college its crazy. Im wondering how many went unreported and what he does when he thinks no one is looking. A Qb takes more then just talent and skill. Leadership, judgment, clear thinking all important as well.  He has shown over and over again he makes poor choices ... hell even last year starting a fight with Lattimore poking back of his head.  Then in college everyone knows the 2 main things he did ... but there was also the gun incident, the bb gun incident, stealing soda from burger king . All together its like 7 or 8 in total. Bucs would be insane to commit to him. His history just shows a pattern that he does not seem able to stop 

You make a fair point about his off the field decision making, but he left college too early?  He was the #1 overall pick in the draft.  How much longer should he have stayed in college?  Should he have been like Matt Leinart who was a sure fire #1 overall pick until he went back to college and essentially ruined his career?

3 hours ago, showtime said:

You make a fair point about his off the field decision making, but he left college too early?  He was the #1 overall pick in the draft.  How much longer should he have stayed in college?  Should he have been like Matt Leinart who was a sure fire #1 overall pick until he went back to college and essentially ruined his career?

Matt still had the education to fall back on .  Besides when has a USC QB ever worked out :P 

Talent is there, mind is not. He is Jay Cutler basically on the field. I bet the TD/INT ratio is pretty damn close too.

On 7/2/2018 at 9:09 AM, candyman93 said:

Dude was a monster in college except 1 game.

That's false. Look at his last year. He had several games that were pretty mediocre to crap. He only had 3 games without an INT and 5 with more TDs than INTs. Conisdering the stark contrast of talent that was overwhelmingly in his favor, this was a forgetful season.

Capture.jpg

Yes, Winston was completely overhyped.

Archived